WAMC DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedsi

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I hope everyone is having a great New Year and everyone is safe and healthy. I was hoping someone can assist me and maybe provide some words of encouragement haha from a very anxious pre-med

I am looking to apply to only DO schools this upcoming cycle (2022-2023). I am Bangladeshi, just graduated from a Top 30 ik this means nothing :((( this past May 2021

GPA

My cumulative GPA is 3.55 and my science GPA is a 3.56
I did not do well my first 2 years of undergrad. I did average my freshman year (3.3) but I took orgo and physics and physical chemistry my second year which tanked my GPA.

I did not do well in my orgo, chem, physics pre reqs so that is one of my concerns. I got C+ in orgo 1 and 2, physics 1 and calc 2. I got B- in my general chemistry courses.

As far as the rest of the pre-reqs go I got straight A's in Bio 1 and 2, Biochem 1 and Biochem 2 and English 1 and 2.

GPA TREND
I did really well
my second 2 years of undergrad. I averaged a 3.75 my junior year and had a 4.0 my senior year.

I took Biochem II, Physics 3 with lab, Genetics, Advanced Molecular Biology, Advanced Cellular Biology, Stem Cells, Cosmetic Chemistry, Biomaterials, 2 semesters of research, and got A's in all because I wanted to show I can do somewhat well in my science classes.

MCAT
I should've voided my first MCAT. I was scoring 505's on my practice exams and because I am going DO I thought I might be fine. My aunt had passed away very shortly before my exam and it really shook me and my family. Regardless I went in thinking I'd be okay if I trusted my FL scores, but I was really stressed throughout the exam and should've voided. Welp cant do anything about it now.

I got a 496 the first time (124/124/124/124)
The second time I got a 502 (125/124/126/126)

Extracurriculars

Clinical Experience

Volunteering at a hospital for 1 year (200 hours)

Medical Assistant at a dermatology office for 2 years (2000 hours), trained new medical assistants (500 hours)

Medical Assistant at an internal medicine office for 6 months (400 hours)

Research Experience
1) First research position for 2 years (800 hours) -- 1 publication from this
2) Second research position with a professor from my school for 7 months -- 1 publication from this

Shadowing

Shadowed all the dermatologists I worked with as an MA and the internal med doctor I worked with

Shadowed a Family Medicine DO (75 hours) who wrote me a LOR

Shadowed a sports medicine DO (25 hours)

Non-Clinical Volunteering

Private tutor 5 years in Math and English (probably thousands of hours)

Member of a non-profit at my school for 2 years (I attended homeless canvassing events, created stuffed animals for pediatric cancer patients, and attended several other events throughout the years)

Mentor for pre-med underclassmen at my school's prehealth organization for 2 years

Representative for my school's Bangladesh Students Association where I helped organize events at the school-- 1 year

Was a tutor at a school for international students for students who did not speak English as a first language-- 1 year (250 hours)

Relevant Honors or Awards
-
Dean's List for 2 years
- Honors Scholar (top 40% of graduating class)
- some other award for my GPA

Letter's of Rec
One letter from my bio professor, one each from both my research advisors, one from the DO I shadowed, one from my stem cells professor, one from my medical ethics professor for the non-science requirement.

I'm sorry this was such a long post. I used to be concerned due to my GPA because I had a shaky start but now I'm worried about my MCAT AND MY GPA. Regardless I do want to try for this cycle and was wondering what you guys think. I'm willing to go to any US medical school tbh. Thank yall and have a WONDERFUL NEW YEAR. HERE'S TO 2022

Members don't see this ad.

I would apply broadly but you should get interviews my friend. My standard advice is have your application ready to go as early as possible to maximize your chances.
Thank you so much!! When should I be looking to submit my primaries? Or rather, what is considered early and then on time and then late!