WAMC....first time applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

divergent14

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Decided that finishing my Bachelor's degree (13 more classes) would cause me to spend a lot more money than if I just finished my prerequisites (6 more classes). I would no longer be a year behind my original plan, and won't have to pay an extra odd 6 months of rent for a semester. I'm not happy at my undergrad school and want to start the next chapter of my life since the schools I'm applying to do not require a Bachelor's degree to apply. (I will finish my degree if I do not get in this cycle) Any tips or advice would be great, since now I am going to apply this cycle!

I am applying to Missouri, Iowa, Colorado, and possibly OVC
Current stats
Cumulative GPA: 3.68
Last 45: 3.74
Science GPA: 3.2, varies per school (will use explanation statement for this)
Prerequisite GPA: Varies... 3.53 for Iowa, 3.85 for CSU, 3.94 for MSU...probably around 3.6-3.7 for OVC
GRE: Not required for the schools I am applying to
Resident: California

Vet Related Employment
Mixed animal practice March 1, 2019-present (I still intern there when I am home on breaks)

Non-Vet Related Employment
PetSmart (9 months)
Big 5 Sporting Goods (3 months)
Note-Taker in college - 2 semesters
Photographer - 2018-present
Soap Making business - 2018
Currently running a small side business being a reseller online to save money for vet school (kinda crazy, but it all helps!) February 1, 2020-present

Vet Hours: Will be between 2,000-3,000 hours when I turn in my application
remaining hours -- experience with equine, canine, feline, goats, and chickens (one clinic)
48 hours -- Pure equine experience assisting in lameness exams and taking heart rates during an endurance ride
12 hours -- pure sheep experience (preg checks, breeding soundness exams, hoof trimming, taking HR/TEMP/BCS)
4 hours--small animal clinic

Animal Hours: 616 hours
370 hours--petsitting
154 hours -- Haven Humane volunteering (dog training)
88 hours -- volunteering at SPCA (dog training, animal enrichment)
4 hours--kennel cleaning
((May have an additional 100 wildlife rehabilitation hours if they open to volunteers only this summer))

Volunteering: 52 hours
several trash/creek clean ups in my community ~50 hours

Research: 100 hours
100 hours -- researching spontaneous abortion in cattle

Extracurriculars
Natural Resources Club
Pre-Vet Club

Leadership
Giving tours to Freshmen in H.S - 30 hours
Mentoring Freshman students at my University -- week long event this summer ~ 60 hours

Awards/Scholarships
Dean's List - 4 semesters

Degrees at time of application
AA in Natural Sciences

Hobbies:
fishing, video production, gardening

Other Factors:
First generation college student
Interests in mixed animal practice and wildlife

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Decided that finishing my Bachelor's degree (13 more classes) would cause me to spend a lot more money than if I just finished my prerequisites (6 more classes). I would no longer be a year behind my original plan, and won't have to pay an extra odd 6 months of rent for a semester. I'm not happy at my undergrad school and want to start the next chapter of my life since the schools I'm applying to do not require a Bachelor's degree to apply. (I will finish my degree if I do not get in this cycle) Any tips or advice would be great, since now I am going to apply this cycle!

I am applying to Missouri, OSU (Oregon), WSU, Iowa State, and Auburn if I can find an online physics class to take this summer...((if you have another CVM suggestion please comment below!))
Current stats
Cumulative GPA: 3.60 (last 45 should be close to the same as my cumulative gpa..using explanation statement for some science classes my first year of college that tanked my overall GPA)
Science GPA: 3.2 (will use explanation statement for this)
GRE: Not yet taken
Resident: California

Vet Related Employment
Mixed animal practice March 1, 2019-present (I still intern there when I am home on breaks)

Non-Vet Related Employment
PetSmart (9 months)
Big 5 Sporting Goods (3 months)

Vet Hours: Will be between 2,000-3,000 hours when I turn in my application
remaining hours -- experience with equine, canine, feline, goats, and chickens (one clinic)
48 hours -- Pure equine experience assisting in lameness exams and taking heart rates during an endurance ride
12 hours -- pure sheep experience (preg checks, breeding soundness exams, hoof trimming, taking HR/TEMP/BCS)
4 hours--small animal clinic

Animal Hours: 616 hours
370 hours--petsitting
154 hours -- Haven Humane volunteering (dog training)
88 hours -- volunteering at SPCA (dog training, animal enrichment)
4 hours--kennel cleaning
((May have an additional 100 wildlife rehabilitation hours if they open to volunteers only this summer))

Volunteering: 52 hours
several trash/creek clean ups in my community ~50 hours

Research: 100 hours
100 hours -- researching spontaneous abortion in cattle

Extracurriculars
Natural Resources Club
Pre-Vet Club
Mentoring Freshman students at my University -- week long event this summer

Awards/Scholarships
Dean's List - 4 semesters

Degrees at time of application
AA in Natural Sciences

Hobbies:
part time photographer
run a small side business being a reseller online to save money for vet school (kinda crazy, but it all helps!)
fishing
soap making
video production
gardening

Other Factors:
First generation college student
Interests in mixed animal practice and wildlife
For WSU you will have to have physics and a lab for physics-unsure if an online course would suffice for the lab portion (you'll have to call and talk to admissions, may have exceptions with COVID). Getting in out of state is extremely difficult especially if you're not from a WICHE state not gonna lie, but it pays off debt wise if you can get in specifically to the Pullman campus. It's not impossible though I promise. Based on the tier system https://dvm.vetmed.wsu.edu/admissions/academic-criteria you are in tier 1 based on your cGPA. Unsure what their plan is for GRE yet considering the world is falling apart. WSU likes to see you as a whole person so make sure to include everything. Be genuine is my biggest piece of advice. Know what you have to contribute to the profession and where you see yourself in it-what impact are you going to have. Make sure to have lots of people read your statements. From your stats I would encourage you to buff up those volunteer hours if possible-I know COVID makes that about impossible right now. WSU is one school that if you own pets count those hours within reason, donate clothes?--add it, enjoy hiking-add it, seriously they want to see all of you the best they can on paper.
Let me know if you have specific questions!

For WSU you will have to have physics and a lab for physics-unsure if an online course would suffice for the lab portion (you'll have to call and talk to admissions, may have exceptions with COVID). Getting in out of state is extremely difficult especially if you're not from a WICHE state not gonna lie, but it pays off debt wise if you can get in specifically to the Pullman campus. It's not impossible though I promise. Based on the tier system https://dvm.vetmed.wsu.edu/admissions/academic-criteria you are in tier 1 based on your cGPA. Unsure what their plan is for GRE yet considering the world is falling apart. WSU likes to see you as a whole person so make sure to include everything. Be genuine is my biggest piece of advice. Know what you have to contribute to the profession and where you see yourself in it-what impact are you going to have. Make sure to have lots of people read your statements. From your stats I would encourage you to buff up those volunteer hours if possible-I know COVID makes that about impossible right now. WSU is one school that if you own pets count those hours within reason, donate clothes?--add it, enjoy hiking-add it, seriously they want to see all of you the best they can on paper.
Let me know if you have specific questions!
Thank you! WSU stated in the COVID-19 update on the VMCAS website that they are accepting online prerequisite work, including online labs for this cycle. I attend school in a WICHE state and could get residency there...my issue is that I have a job waiting for me in California when I am done, so I don't think WICHE would be an option for me ):
Yeah, COVID put a big hammer on me continuing my volunteer hours...I'm not sure what I am able to do to beef that up. I donate clothes, do photography, privately tutor my friends, hike, fish, etc etc. Where do I add those things at to my application? Is there a hobbies tab I haven't gotten to yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! WSU stated in the COVID-19 update on the VMCAS website that they are accepting online prerequisite work, including online labs for this cycle. I attend school in a WICHE state and could get residency there...my issue is that I have a job waiting for me in California when I am done, so I don't think WICHE would be an option for me ):
Yeah, COVID put a big hammer on me continuing my volunteer hours...I'm not sure what I am able to do to beef that up. I donate clothes, do photography, privately tutor my friends, hike, fish, etc etc. Where do I add those things at to my application? Is there a hobbies tab I haven't gotten to yet?
It's been so long since I applied I couldn't tell you exactly. I think I listed it as extracurricular but couldn't say exactly maybe someone who applied this last cycle could give better input.

Overall I wouldnt recommend switching residency at this point because wiche funding is ranked based on various factors like how long you've been there. I would also encourage you to not limit yourself to the one potential future job. While it's nice to know it's there alot can change in the time you're in school!

It's been so long since I applied I couldn't tell you exactly. I think I listed it as extracurricular but couldn't say exactly maybe someone who applied this last cycle could give better input.

Overall I wouldnt recommend switching residency at this point because wiche funding is ranked based on various factors like how long you've been there. I would also encourage you to not limit yourself to the one potential future job. While it's nice to know it's there alot can change in the time you're in school!
I will have to ask someone who applied last cycle!
Yes, I have been living there for a year but I would rather not deal with switching my residency...
I don't want to limit myself, either, but the veterinary clinic is full of people who have become my family and I was offered a job there when I'm done. I will always keep my options open, but it's likely that's where I will end up!

Reactions: 1 user
bumping this post since i...once again....revised it! COVID has changed my plans a ton ):