WAMC? (First time applicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CherylSwoops

Reaction score
Date of submission: 06/27/2023
Overall GPA: 2.7 Undergrad & 3.85 Post-Bacc
Science GPA: 2.8 Undergrad & 3.90 Post-Bacc
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 2.7 Undergrad & 3.9 Post-Bacc
DAT score (include AA and all sections):

1st Attempt:

15 AA

17 PAT

16 QR

15 RC

13 BIO

15 GC

14 OC

14 TS

2nd Attempt:

17 AA

19 PAT

18 QR

17 RC

16 BIO

17 GC

18 OC

17 TS

State of Residence:
Colorado

Undergrad Attended: Creighton University
Major: Exercise Science Pre-Dental
Minority? Yes, Middle Eastern
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 160 hrs with General Dentist and 50 hrs with Endodontist
Volunteering Experience: 105 hrs total (5 dissection club at Middle school and 100 doing covid testing in underserved population.
Employment: ~3,500 hrs working as DA
Research: 112 hrs and publication
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Yes, one impressions day and one ASDA event
Relevant Honors or Awards: Iranian American Academics And Professionals Scholarship and Deans List during post-bacc
LOR type and strength: 3 strong LORs from science teachers (Bio 2, biochem, and micro) and 1 strong LOR from dentist

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Sturggled in undergrad and low DAT but turned it around…upward trend.

School list:

• CU
  • Pacific
  • Columbia
  • Iowa
  • Western U
  • Creighton
  • Tufts
  • AT Still AZ
  • Boston U
  • KCU
  • UMKC
  • Roseman
  • AT Still MO
  • Augusta
  • New England
  • Detroit
  • Meharry
  • MWU-AZ
  • Marquette

Members don't see this ad.

Your list is too long, but with your DAT results, that's probably a sign of panic to expand your list and your chances. That said, many of these are donations if you submitted your application.

How did you do a "postbac"? Was it a formal program with advising or informal DIY? I presume it is not a special master's program.

So here are the problems with your list:
1) Meharry: HBCU, so unless you grew up in a very low SED or are Black (sub-Saharan African, Caribbean), it's probably not a good match even if the DAT medians are closer to your best attempt
2) Roseman and Pacific are 3-year programs. I'm not sure if they reward your post-bac GPA's, but your DAT's don't give confidence you can handle intense curricula like theirs.
3) State schools that don't really take OOS appplicants: August/DCG, Iowa?, UMKC will be donations, especially given your low DAT.
4) I am fine with the remaining privates you chose except Columbia, Tufts, Boston, New England for geography and DAT. The closer your application shows a mission fit with the remaining privates, your chances for getting noticed would go up.

I think this puts your list down to 9 schools that make more sense with geography. I kept Detroit due to the high Muslim-American population. Marquette is similar enough as a university to Creighton (your undergrad and likely where you attended ASDA and SNDA events, right?).

Did you do any networking with schools like CU and Creighton prior to applying? What feedback have you received before applying?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
what classes did you take for your post bacc? also if i do a post bacc at CC is that ok?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you take your post bacc at Creighton? Also, I would consider adding MN with your background, I would most likely take the DAT again if I were you with your gpa.

I don’t know if a 17AA is enough for admission. I would consider retaking if you haven’t heard anything yet. A decent 3rd attempt combined with the solid post bacc should make up for it

Is your GPA above 3.0 after the post bacc? It could be that you got screened out automatically if it was under 3.0 even with a solid post bacc.

Also your list will need more refinement. As alluded to above, a lot of schools were donations

Reactions: 1 user