WAMC - first time! ty ^O^

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gloworms

manifesting c/o '28
Reaction score
Hi there, I am a non-binary POC in Northern California. Can't afford to go to any other school, but Davis (due to finances + mental health from being away from friends/family who are in SoCal). I graduated with a BS in Animal Science in 2021 from UC Davis and have been working in the field since then to get experience. I am super excited and nervous because I know my grades don't stand out all too much. My science GPA is especially not great because I spend most of my life not knowing I (most likely) have ADHD +/- Autism and didn't know how to properly "do" school/studying in a way that works for me. I only figured that out after graduating and started taking classes at a JC to finish one of my last prereqs for vet school (physics). I took some extra bio classes and ASL and got As in every single class I took so I am hoping that proves something?? Not trying to gain sympathy or anything - I am undiagnosed and accessing the care to get me diagnosed and medicated is not possible so I am doing what I can and it has been helpful at least knowing that I am different and that is OK. I am excited to go to vet school and apply myself in a way that I never have before!! Anyways thanks for reading, i would love to know people's thoughts +/- constructive criticism/advice!

Cumulative GPA: 3.55
science GPA: 3.44
last 45:

Any degrees achieved: BS in Animal Science

GRE results: not taking

Veterinary Experience:
- 3500 hrs Float to VA at Small Cat Clinic with 3 DVMS
-450 hrs ER Float to VA at huge hybrid hospital
-20 hrs volunteer at popup clinic for pets of individuals experiencing homelessness and housing insecurity

Animal Experience:
-200 hrs private pet sitting for various owners
-36 hrs at sheep barn
-32 hrs intern at Zoo
-20 hrs chicken coop volunteer for community garden
-10 hrs shelter volunteer (just started)

Research Experience:
-60 hrs intern for grad student research (sheep behavior)

Awards/scholarships:
-scholarship from JC
-award for community service
-dean's list at JC

Extracurriculars:
-hobbies in digital art/tattooing (taking commissions and selling stickers)
I have done fundraisers to make money to donate to causes like BLM/LGBTQ
-high school yearbook editor-in-chief

Employment:
-400 hrs sushi restaurant
-150 hrs college prep academy (reception/english as second language tutor)
-100 hrs private tutor
-100 hrs babysitter

Summarize any concerns you have
GPA not the best especially since GPA is one of the main things UCD looks at, not enough variety in vet experiences, LOR are from 3 DVMS all from the same cat clinic

Thanks again and good luck to all of you!!! <3

Members don't see this ad.

UC Davis implementing new admit system as I'm sure you are aware. I think it's a bit hard to give accurate advice until that happens, but based on what I've heard, it won't be particularly more holistic for IS than it is now; it'll just be a different form. I expect it to be very GPA heavy still, and as you mentioned, yours is a bit low for Davis.

I think you would be more likely than not to receive an interview based on what I know. But also depends on who else applies.

If you were looking for how to improve your app for Davis: take more science classes and get As.

But overall I'd just wait and see exactly how they've decided to implement the new system-- hopefully website updated soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
UC Davis implementing new admit system as I'm sure you are aware. I think it's a bit hard to give accurate advice until that happens, but based on what I've heard, it won't be particularly more holistic for IS than it is now; it'll just be a different form. I expect it to be very GPA heavy still, and as you mentioned, yours is a bit low for Davis.

I think you would be more likely than not to receive an interview based on what I know. But also depends on who else applies.

If you were looking for how to improve your app for Davis: take more science classes and get As.

But overall I'd just wait and see exactly how they've decided to implement the new system-- hopefully website updated soon.
Yeah that makes sense! I am hoping they update their website soon too. Thank you for your response!! I may reach out to their admissions office to see if they have updates.

UPDATE: I just got this email from UC Davis!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 3.29.48 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 3.29.48 PM.png
    198.2 KB · Views: 116
Reactions: 1 users
I am a member of the LGBTQ+ community, who has been diagnosed with OCD/ADHD and a few other mental health conditions that I won’t get into here. I am also a student with no financial help my parents and someone who is extremely poor.
I am someone who does not have a veterinary school in my state, and the closest one is 3.5 hours away. I am also struggling with the thought of leaving my loved ones and the anxiety of living in an unfamiliar environment. I understand. The mental affects have taken a huge toll on my physical health - ulcers, panic attacks, etc.
I understand how this could scare someone.

I wanted to touch on a few sensitive topics mentioned:
1) access to healthcare. You WILL have access to the proper care in vet school. You will be given a healthcare plan covered by loans. Most vet schools have access to free mental healthcare professionals where they can get you diagnosed and sent to the proper places where you can be medicated.
2) financial reasons. Loans suck. However, you CAN afford to go to any school as you would be given loans to cover the tuition any where. There is also COA given to you - at tOSU that is literally like 24k which is plenty to cover rent and expenses. Given your background, I’m sure there would be places for you to seek out extra assistance. The cheapest option is always the best - but try to apply to more than one school. Your GPA is low for Davis and it is possible you are denied because of that and that is so discouraging. If you can - try to apply to more than one school. It is hard financially. I fundraised to help pay for my vet school applications!
3) leaving family and friends. This is something you have to decide on your own. This is a tough question but what if you never get into Davis? Will you apply elsewhere? Is becoming a veterinarian and leaving for veterinary school for 4 years worth being away from your friends an family for a while? There are breaks, FaceTime calls, so many ways to stay in contact now.
4) I don’t think it’s safe for you to continue your veterinary journey until you are able to properly taken care of. Veterinarians take their own life at extremely high rates compared to the rest of the U.S. I am sure you know how demanding the profession is. Vet school will beat the life out of you. If you have undiagnosed conditions/aren’t willing to look into treatment - it could cause catastrophe. Taking care of yourself is so important. The application process sucks. I just went through it, but the getting situated into vet school once you are accepted is SO much worse.

Have you looked into California’s Medicaid? As progressive as it is, I can’t imagine you not qualifying for some kind of healthcare assistance, especially if you are old enough to qualify as an independent.
I qualify in KY, which is really strict with their govt benefits.

Application feedback; You know your GPA isn’t great but it’s not terrible. Your last 45 is awesome. If you decide to apply to other schools, I suggest some like tOSU and Minnesota, both are holistic and Minny values last 45 heavy.
Your vet experience is nice. Always cool to try and add some large animal in there if you can. Good that you have outside employment. I don’t see much volunteerism. I don’t see much involvement in your college that you could play to in your app.
I think you could play on your diversity A LOT. And also about specific interests, tied back to vet med and involvement in the community somehow.
I would say you have some unique aspects about your application - particularly about who YOU are. And a commitment to community grievances. If you play your cards right, that in itself can take you far regardless of your grades but maybe not at Davis (I am not saying that it’s impossible or trying to discourage you - I just want you to know the unfair beast you are up against).

I wish you the best!