WAMC for current cycle and advice for reapplication(505/3.92)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sciencerules135

Reaction score
  1. cGPA-3.908 and sGPA-3.92 as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: Jan 2023 494(123/123/124/124) June 2023 505(126/124/131/124)
  3. State of residence: AZ but strong ties to Texas and Illinois
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: white and asian-First Gen Med School
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: University of Arizona
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 300 hours as a volunteer in the emergency room. I help enroll patients in clinical studies and round each hour with the attendings. I observe traumas and work a lot directly with hospital staff. I still have this position and volunteer every week. I have a leadership position in this program and have trained new members on how to enroll patients and interact with physicians. Another 300+ hours working as a medical receptionist and some scribing in primary care. I check patients in, took vitals, ran EKG's. Did a lot of the administrative side as well, but really built strong relationships with patients here. This was a paid summer position that I worked full time. 60 hours volunteering in surgical waiting area of hospital. Here I checked patients in, took them to pre-op, brought family back, and was mainly a comforting presence for patients before big surgeries.
  7. Research experience and productivity: 500+ hours in a Type 2 Diabetes lab. No pubs or posters but am completing my honors thesis right now that will result in a poster. Have been apart of this lab for 3 years and have learned a lot of wet lab techniques. We mainly study the proteins involved in Type 2 Diabetes so this research is very applicable. I also am a mentor in this position. I have tried around 5 new members of the lab in all lab experiments and chores.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 25 hours shadowing in the OR following around an anesthesiologist through a variety of different procedures. I have observed OB/GYN surgeries, plastics, cardio, and learned a lot about anesthesia in general. 8 hours shadowing in a neuro-rehabilitation clinic. Followed physician into patient rooms and watched physician interact with patient and provide botox
  9. Non-clinical volunteering- Minimal hours volunteering at homeless shelter and other small activities. I know I really need to improve this.
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc) Had a leadership position in my sorority. Led our chapter of 400 women through recruitment. I probably spend 500+ hours working on this. Was apart of a bilingual internship during COVID that helped teach little kids Spanish. We worked with a school in Spain to create online activities for rural schools to use to help their students learn still while education was online-100 hours. Was a medical school ambassador at my school. We gave tours to potential med students and learned about the admissions process-50 hours or so. I also have been apart of a medical club and worked a few non-clincial job. My job all throughout college has been in retail. I work around 15 hours a week at our local boutique. 1000+ hours
  11. Relevant honors or awards- a few deans list and full tuition scholarships
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: This past semester I was a TA for a cancer biology class. I helped groups learn the material and was required to hold weekly office hours. I gained a lot of experience from this with working with others and with the teacher.
I did apply this current cycle. I have one II I am waiting to hear back from and I am very very grateful for that. I am still holding out hope but wanted advice on where my application could improve if I end up needing to reapply again. I know I lack non-clinical volunteering so I am going to work on that. However, I felt the rest of my stuff was pretty strong besides my lower MCAT. What do you think I need work on or how could I improve? I applied only to 31 MD schools and if I reapply again I will apply to some DO.

*I was a tad late submitting and completing CASPer. Preview was a 7 and CASPer 4Q. All my secondaries were complete in August but about 8 applications(mainly Texas schools) were delayed until first week in October due to super late CASPer test. Totally my fault, but all other schools were done in August.**

PLEASE DO NOT DIRECTLY QUOTE THIS MESSAGE, however I need all the advice I can get.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Was a medical school ambassador at my school. We gave tours to potential med students and learned about the admissions process
I suspect you know where your weaknesses are. Play out the one interview but you know where you need to strengthen your profile and add DO schools. You spent more hours on your sorority than community service volunteering... you should try to match, at least.

Get to 50 hours of shadowing.

Focus on the interview you have.

What is your mission fit? Why did you wait to take SJTs?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I suspect you know where your weaknesses are. Play out the one interview but you know where you need to strengthen your profile and add DO schools. You spent more hours on your sorority than community service volunteering... you should try to match, at least.

Get to 50 hours of shadowing.

Focus on the interview you have.

What is your mission fit? Why did you wait to take SJTs?
I am very passionate about research and how that translates into medicine. That is why I got into becoming a doctor in the first place. I really am interested in working with kids and making a difference in the local community. I have experience with rural medicine and I have seen how impactful quality patient care is and I would like to do the same in the community I go to school in. I think my mission fit is a bit more general, but I did apply to a lot of schools with strong research. I waited because I wasn't 100% sure I needed them. I got busy with school and waited too long. My II went really well but now I am waiting to hear back. Do we think there is hope?

Members don't see this ad :)
U of A phoenix
U of A tucson
Creighton
UNLV
Wake Forest
Northwestern- shooting for the stars
Rutgers RWJ
FSU
UCSD
UNC
UC Riverside
U of SC
Utah
U of Kentucky
U of Louisville
TCU
MUSC
Colorado
UT Houston
Texas A&M
UTMB
U of Houston
UNR
UT Tyler
UCLA
UC Davis
UTRGV
UT dell
U Wash
This was my school list this year, some were out of reach. What schools should I add and what DO schools?

The main problem with your application was not your GPA, MCAT or ECs but rather your choice of schools. You applied to 23 OOS public MD schools that admit very few (if any) non residents with a MCAT of 505. For example, UC Riverside admits ZERO non residents and UC Davis only 1 or 2 per year. You should accumulate 150+ hours of non clinical volunteering (homeless shelter, food bank, etc.) before you reapply.
I suggest these MD schools:
U of A Phoenix
U of A Tucson
Creighton
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
Belmont
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Any new schools that open for 2025 (Arizona State, Alice Walton, Methodist, American University, Roseman)
For DO schools I suggest these:
AZCOM
TUNCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
CCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
CUSOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Were you born in the US? If not, when did your family move to the US? Which activities did you list above that were rural?
I am very passionate about research and how that translates into medicine. That is why I got into becoming a doctor in the first place. I really am interested in working with kids and making a difference in the local community. I have experience with rural medicine and I have seen how impactful quality patient care is and I would like to do the same in the community I go to school in. I think my mission fit is a bit more general, but I did apply to a lot of schools with strong research.
But interestingly your only interview was a community-mission medical school that has an interest in rural health. Let's see how this plays out. Your mission tries to cover a ton of bases, and as a result doesn't really give me a good idea of what you want to do as a physician. You could work with kids and make a difference as a school nurse or a clinical psychologist for a greater impact, especially in rural communities.

You also should network with APAMSA and AMSA student officers to get better insight about the schools you wish to apply to. Make sure that your prehealth advising team is helping you.

Were you born in the US? If not, when did your family move to the US? Which activities did you list above that were rural?

But interestingly your only interview was a community-mission medical school that has an interest in rural health. Let's see how this plays out. Your mission tries to cover a ton of bases, and as a result doesn't really give me a good idea of what you want to do as a physician. You could work with kids and make a difference as a school nurse or a clinical psychologist for a greater impact, especially in rural communities.

You also should network with APAMSA and AMSA student officers to get better insight about the schools you wish to apply to. Make sure that your prehealth advising team is helping you.
Yes I was born here. My dad is first generation college grad. The ER I volunteer in has a lot of underserved patient populations and the COVID internship worked primarily in rural bilingual schools. Is there any clinical positions I should try to gain more experience in or jobs that would strengthen my application?

Clinical? Depending on your responsibilities: patient engagement at hospice.
I also currently still volunteer each week in the ER should I keep that and add WAY more non-clinical volunteering? I would keep my part time job too so that would be my focus on top of school. Or should I look for something with more patient engagement? Just hard because May is approaching quick

I also currently still volunteer each week in the ER should I keep that and add WAY more non-clinical volunteering? I would keep my part time job too so that would be my focus on top of school. Or should I look for something with more patient engagement? Just hard because May is approaching quick
Or I potentially am being considered for a physical therapist assistant role. Would that be worth pursuing? @Mr.Smile12

Last edited:
I was just waitlisted at UTRGV. Really hoping for some good news and still waiting for a few more schools

The main problem with your application was not your GPA, MCAT or ECs but rather your choice of schools. You applied to 23 OOS public MD schools that admit very few (if any) non residents with a MCAT of 505. For example, UC Riverside admits ZERO non residents and UC Davis only 1 or 2 per year. You should accumulate 150+ hours of non clinical volunteering (homeless shelter, food bank, etc.) before you reapply.
I suggest these MD schools:
U of A Phoenix
U of A Tucson
Creighton
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
Belmont
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Any new schools that open for 2025 (Arizona State, Alice Walton, Methodist, American University, Roseman)
For DO schools I suggest these:
AZCOM
TUNCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
CCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
CUSOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.
I agree with @Faha, your list of schools included many that would not have considered you even with a better MCAT score.
DO schools will be a better zone to focus on in a reapplication year.