WAMC for DO schools? Is it too late to submit for this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

captainbulgogi

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished submitting my MD applications and currently planning to start my DO apps. Would it be too late to submit my primary mid/late September? I am a reapplicant for MD but first time applicant for DO. I would be happy to be accepted and to attend any medical school this cycle.

Stats:
Some what non-traditional (2 years out of school now)
State Residency: CA
Other state ties: MI (parents live there)
ORM (Asian)
3.58 sGPA (downward trend)
3.64 cGPA (downward trend)
Identify as LGBTQ+

ECs:
4900+ hours in research (by Jul 2021)
3 fourth author publications
2 poster presentations
40 hours volunteer private tutoring
192 hours hospital volunteer
800 hours paid clinical position
200 hours physician shadowing
1200 hours leadership position in student organization in college
450 hours volunteering but not community service related, it was related to my collegiate club

Honors/Awards:
Dean's List for 8 Quarters
Graduated Cum Laude in my class
Graduated with department honors

DO school list:
I have already applied to 30 MDs, mostly mid/low tiers with a few reaches, so I am applying to less DO schools.

MWU-Chicago
DMU-COM
LECOM-Erie
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
Tuoro-NY
WesternU

I have no issues with location but just prefer to attend more established DO schools. Are there any schools anyone can recommend me to not apply to or to add on?

Thank you all in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@Faha I was recommended by Discord to tag you. I would greatly appreciate your valuable input/insight. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're going for well established, I'd add PCOM as well. Good luck!

I just finished submitting my MD applications and currently planning to start my DO apps. Would it be too late to submit my primary mid/late September? I am a reapplicant for MD but first time applicant for DO. I would be happy to be accepted and to attend any medical school this cycle.

Stats:
Some what non-traditional (2 years out of school now)
State Residency: CA
Other state ties: MI (parents live there)
ORM (Asian)
3.58 sGPA (downward trend)
3.64 cGPA (downward trend)
Identify as LGBTQ+

ECs:
4900+ hours in research (by Jul 2021)
3 fourth author publications
2 poster presentations
40 hours volunteer private tutoring
192 hours hospital volunteer
800 hours paid clinical position
200 hours physician shadowing
1200 hours leadership position in student organization in college
450 hours volunteering but not community service related, it was related to my collegiate club

Honors/Awards:
Dean's List for 8 Quarters
Graduated Cum Laude in my class
Graduated with department honors

DO school list:
I have already applied to 30 MDs, mostly mid/low tiers with a few reaches, so I am applying to less DO schools.

MWU-Chicago
DMU-COM
LECOM-Erie
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
Tuoro-NY
WesternU

I have no issues with location but just prefer to attend more established DO schools. Are there any schools anyone can recommend me to not apply to or to add on?

Thank you all in advance.
Not too late.

How bad a declining trend?

I would add CUSOM, PCOM-PA, MUCOM, KCU, RVU-Colorado and maybe the state schools as well (OSU, Rowan, TCOM, OU-HCOM, MSU, WVSOM) since your stats are high enough to maybe get a chance as an out-of-state applicant, and they're gonna be the best DO schools in terms of resources and home residency programs (Watch out for out of state tuition - you may qualify for in-state tuition after a year living there). Watch out for tuition + COA being close to or over 100K a year at MWU-CCOM and AZCOM. Not worth it in my opinion.

Not too late.

How bad a declining trend?

About 3.79 to 3.21 sGPA, 3.79 to 3.48 cGPA, so pretty bad :/

Thank you for your help everyone! I will add about 3-4 more schools to my DO list. I’ve already applied to 31 MD schools so I’m near the maximum of how much I can spend.

Not good. You'd get rejected at my school.

Can I ask what tier MD or DO your school is? Yeah I know it’s quite a glaring issue and if unsuccessful this cycle, I will be going to my local CC to take additional classes and retake my mcat.

Can I ask what tier MD or DO your school is? Yeah I know it’s quite a glaring issue and if unsuccessful this cycle, I will be going to my local CC to take additional classes and retake my mcat.
You really shouldn't retake a 510 MCAT unless you're going to score 5-10 points higher.

You really shouldn't retake a 510 MCAT unless you're going to score 5-10 points higher.

I think I definitely could do significantly better. I got a 514 and 516 on my last two FL before the exam but I think test anxiety and feeling a bit under the weather got to me. Debated about canceling my test that day but thought I’d trust in my FLs.

I definitely will want to take additional classes to show adcoms I can handle higher level science courses.

I think I definitely could do significantly better. I got a 514 and 516 on my last two FL before the exam but I think test anxiety and feeling a bit under the weather got to me. Debated about canceling my test that day but thought I’d trust in my FLs.

I definitely will want to take additional classes to show adcoms I can handle higher level science courses.
Everybody thinks that, and most end up going down, staying the same or only going up a point or two.

What was the cause of that GPA decline???

Everybody thinks that, and most end up going down, staying the same or only going up a point or two.

What was the cause of that GPA decline???

Took on a lot more responsibility in my student organization. I became vice president for my junior and senior year and dedicated a lot of time to establish a unique scholarship program at my university. I also took on a lot more hours at my part time job over the years. At the time, I failed to prioritize my academics and my grades were well deserved.

Senior year was the worst because I lost my grandfather and my dog of fourteen years around the same time. I briefly lost motivation from the grief and my grades that quarter never fully recovered.

If viewed from quarter to quarter, my GPA trend fluctuated. There was one quarter each year that I performed poorly on (a lot of activities for my club occur that specific quarter every year) so if my GPA was viewed from year to year, the overall trend is downwards.

I also realized that the GPA values that I gave are the AMCAS calculated GPAs. I was a pharmaceutical sciences major so a lot of my upper division pharmacology classes didn't count towards my sGPA. They would count towards my sGPA in AACOMAS so my downwards trend might not be as significant.

I'd be happier with your app if I could see evidence of coping skills.

Coping skills is something I have and would talk about in my challenge/adversity secondary, but unfortunately not a prompt every school has.