WAMC for MD after SMP or Only DO? Re-inventor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MazBrah

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm kicking myself in the face because if I were more active on SDN in the past before I applied I could have made a better choice in not applying this cycle.

Anyways, I applied this cycle to about 20+ schools and have had around 6 pre-II rejections, No II.
Amcas reports my stats as 3.0 cgps/3.1 sgpa. 503 MCAT
I know very lethal for MD. I retook many classes and was a re-invented applicant with an upward trend for 2 years, nothing below a 3.5 but my retakes killed me. Undergrad gpa was much higher bc of grade replacement. My gpa at the time that I decided to re-invent myself was 1.4~ish. I'm a DACA recipient aswell.

Other things
Research: 500+ hrs and 1 pub/ many presentations
Shadowing: 50~ hours
Clinical Volunteering: 200 hours
Non-clinical volunteering: 70 hours
Clinical Employment: 1 year

I applied only MD this cycle bc of schools like that give DACA peeps a shot and financial aid.

I'm looking at SMP's hoping to get a good GPA and plan on retaking my MCAT this summer.
Could I have a shot at MD after a better MCAT and GPA with an SMP or should I only focus on DO? Realistically even if I got a 4.0 on SMP my sgpa would go up to like a 3.2.

Members don't see this ad.

MD is 100 percent out of the question with your stats. There is a shot at DO, but you need to ace an SMP. If you ace the SMP and retake the MCAT and get 510+ then MD might not be far fetched, but either way a SMP needs to be done.

Reactions: 1 user
You are not competitive for MD schools with your stats. You could receive interviews at some DO schools and I suggest these:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-ARKANSAS
ICOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)
UP-KYCOM
LMU-DCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
CHSU-COM
Sam Houston State
Where is your state of residence ?

Members don't see this ad :)
The 3.2/503 combo is far too low for MD schools unless you're an URM with a fascinating story TBH. Even with a boosted MCAT, its still far too low. I'm nervous about applying with a 3.4/518 to MD schools. You look like you have a good shot at some of the newer DO schools.

Hello all, I'm kicking myself in the face because if I were more active on SDN in the past before I applied I could have made a better choice in not applying this cycle.

Anyways, I applied this cycle to about 20+ schools and have had around 6 pre-II rejections, No II.
Amcas reports my stats as 3.0 cgps/3.1 sgpa. 503 MCAT
I know very lethal for MD. I retook many classes and was a re-invented applicant with an upward trend for 2 years, nothing below a 3.5 but my retakes killed me. Undergrad gpa was much higher bc of grade replacement. My gpa at the time that I decided to re-invent myself was 1.4~ish. I'm a DACA recipient aswell.

Other things
Research: 500+ hrs and 1 pub/ many presentations
Shadowing: 50~ hours
Clinical Volunteering: 200 hours
Non-clinical volunteering: 70 hours
Clinical Employment: 1 year

I applied only MD this cycle bc of schools like that give DACA peeps a shot and financial aid.

I'm looking at SMP's hoping to get a good GPA and plan on retaking my MCAT this summer.
Could I have a shot at MD after a better MCAT and GPA with an SMP or should I only focus on DO? Realistically even if I got a 4.0 on SMP my sgpa would go up to like a 3.2.
There are indeed MD schools that reward reinvention.
read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention