MD WAMC for MD? Lower-than-optimal sGPA, 516 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wecandoitifwetry

Reaction score
Removed. Thank you to all for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do not retake the MCAT. 516 is a great score. Keep up the good work with that upward trend and you will be a competitive at many schools. Get more non-clinical volunteering (>150 hours) and try to do another clinical activity such as hospital or free clinic volunteering with actual patients. Some may not consider volunteering at a nursing home clinical.

Thank you for the advice. Forgot to mention some non-clinical volunteering I did during two spring breaks--of course it's possible they wouldn't think much of this because of the short time spans? But since it was essentially a full time job within that period I think that would add about 70 hours total, for both, to my original estimate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the advice. Forgot to mention some non-clinical volunteering I did during two spring breaks--of course it's possible they wouldn't think much of this because of the short time spans? But since it was essentially a full time job within that period I think that would add about 70 hours total, for both, to my original estimate.
What kind of non-clinical volunteering did you do?

Definitely try to pick one activity and do it over a long period of time. Short spurts can be beneficial, but can also show a lack of commitment.

You do not need to retake the MCAT. You should receive several interviews from your list. You could add any of these schools:
Brown
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Cincinnati
Duke
Miami
Kaiser

Assuming you do well senior year, you’ve got a strong application. Apply to as many top-20s as midtiers, plus your state schools and HBCUs. Good luck!

What kind of non-clinical volunteering did you do?

Definitely try to pick one activity and do it over a long period of time. Short spurts can be beneficial, but can also show a lack of commitment.

The first one was Habitat for Humanity. Second was mentoring students in an urban charter high school about college.

Yeah, I realize short-term stuff is not optimal. I am not sure what I can do at this point, though, because I am doing a ton of clinical volunteering this year with the mobile medical clinic and not sure how much non-clinical volunteering (save the nursing home, if I call that non-clinical volunteering) that I can fit into my schedule. Plus, if I added a new activity, wouldn't med schools see that for what it is: desperately back-loading service hours?

You do not need to retake the MCAT. You should receive several interviews from your list. You could add any of these schools:
Brown
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Cincinnati
Duke
Miami
Kaiser

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I will look into these.