WAMC for the 23-24 cycle and where could I improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yerd

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm looking to get a little bit of feedback on where I could improve on my application and if my chances of getting into dental schools looks promising or not. I'm willing to take time to improve on any areas you may see as lacking. Any amount of feedback is accepted and thank you for taking the time out of your day to help me!

Date of submission: Junior in college (not submitted yet)
Overall GPA: 3.97
Science GPA: 4.00
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 4.00
DAT score (include AA and all sections): Not taken yet but plan on taking in mid or late May
State of Residence: North Carolina

Undergrad Attended: Irrelevant, but in North Carolina
Major: Biomedical Science
Minor: Chemistry & Business Administration
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 223 hours shadowing general, 62 hours shadowing pediatrics, 11 hours shadowing oral surgery
Volunteering Experience: 195 hours across different events through my honors program and dental clinics like RAM and MOM
Employment: 63 hours unpaid work at a general office, 225 hours working at another general office, 242 hours working in fast food and at a grocery store, 204 hours working as a teaching assistant in both biology and chemistry courses
Research: I have presented work on volunteering at an honors convention, but I will be doing research in the near future on a topic in forensic chemistry. I will also be doing research in the summer on essential oils extracted from different herbs and I will be writing a 40+ page research thesis on a topic related to dentistry (I will take suggestions on what to write about lol). I plan to do a publication on my essential oils research and forensic chemistry topic.
Other Extracurriculars: I am involved with my university's jazz and symphonic band. I am also the vice-president of the pre-dental society and another biological honors society on campus. I am also the diversity chair for alpha chi honors society. I am also involved with the indoor and outside intramural soccer league and the co-ed softball league. Finally, I am in the honors program and plan to graduate with honors.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's list (a certain gpa with x amount of credit hours. I don't know the exact details).
LOR type and strength: One general dentist who completed his dental school's mission, one pediatric dentist who is a regular honor at their alumni, a natural science professor who teaches molecular and cellular biology (I did well in their class) (PhD from Wake Forest), and an organic chemistry professor who's class I did well in (PhD from Clemson).
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: None
School list: UNC, ECU, Ohio State, UMKC, VCU, and I would consider looking into one more school if anyone has any suggestions.

Thank you again for looking over this and providing feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So all you need is your DAT score to be 20+ (ideally 22+) across all sections. If you say "undergrad attended" is irrelevant, could you say if it differs from the state of residence? How have you been networking with the programs you have on your list?

As for topical suggestions for your thesis, join HPSA Becoming a Student Doctor for plenty of suggestions. :)

I edited the post to include the state in which I'm attending undergrad (NC). I am currently involved in a mentor/mentee program at UNC, but I haven't reached out to the other schools. Honestly, I don't know where to start or how to do it. Any advice? Also, thank you for the site suggestion for research topics! @Mr.Smile12

I would just make sure you take your DAT before the admissions cycle begins so you can submit your app as early as possible. It takes almost a month or so for your DAT score to be verified and then sent to schools which can set you back if you don’t plan ahead. Have you started thinking about how you’re going to study for it and what resources you plan on utilizing?

Reactions: 1 user