WAMC For upcoming Cycle 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted988249

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Overall GPA: 3.49
Science GPA: 3.51
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.49
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 27 AA/ 30 TS/ 23PAT
State of Residence: Virginia

Major: Biomedical Engineer
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: ~20 hours at 1 General Dentist Practice

Volunteering Experience: ~60 hours volunteering as dental assistant at a Free Dental clinic and 24 hours for Non-Profit Dental organization(Hope For Tomorrow)

Employment: ~ Recruiting Analyst who analyzed over 1,000 resumes to identify the best candidates fit for various positions.

Research: ~N/A

Other Extracurriculars: Member of Pre-Dental Society, Eagle Scout, Black Belt in karate.

LOR type and strength: 2 strong LOR from 2 science professors + 1 medium LOR from another science professor+ 1 strong LOR from a general dentist.

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere:
This semester I planned on racking up more shadowing and volunteering hours but I am afraid that there may not be many opportunities anymore due to the COVID-19.

School list:
Howard University
VCU
University of Maryland School
Columbia
UPenn
Midwestern University
UCLA

you have 7 schools, 3 of which are amongst the most difficult schools in the country to get into, and one is an hbcu...

Definitely would apply to less selective schools. Your volunteer and shadowing hours are very low, even with accounting for the next few months.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
GPA still counts as much as a DAT score, so don't think you can sail into the most selective schools on just your DAT without any networking. You should get noticed by VCU. Pick some private schools that won't lock you out because of your state residency or non-traditional status that have reasonable GPA ranges within your zone. The Ivy schools (Penn, Columbia) are donations.

Take off Howard for sure.

As for the pre-reqs, my school just sent us an email saying they're accepting all classes as P/F since they know a lot of undergrads are switching to it. But I would also reach directly out to the schools you're applying to and verify certain.

I agree that your biggest areas of weakness are shadowing and volunteer hours. Most schools are going to look for 50+ hours for shadowing; it'd be a shame to get rejected for not meeting those requirements. Get at least 50, but if you want to cover your bases, I'd aim for 100 hours.

For volunteering, I recommend getting involved in something you're passionate about that is outside of the dental field. Your dental clinic volunteering is going to fall under the category of "Dental Experience" on the AADSAS application, so work on community service in another area so that this will count towards the "Volunteering" category.

As for Howard, if you choose to apply there, be ready to discuss thoroughly what diversity/inclusion means to you and what serving the underserved looks like. Being an HBCU, they are very big on this and emphasize it in their mission and during their interview.

Best of luck!!

Last edited:
With the current virus going around my school opted for pass/fail classes. I was wondering what your thoughts are on that especially for prerequisites such as biochem.
If you are given the opportunity to request your biochem class grade be reported traditionally instead of pass-fail, choose that option. Your registrar will report the context of the change in grading policy regardless on everyone's transcript from your university.

It is important to point out that as an engineering major, you need to know which schools will take that context into account and have insight on how to properly evaluate and accept applicants with that background. Find that out from the schools you want to apply to before you submit your application.