WAMC - Grad Student with Concerns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ncvaapplicant17

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Firstly - Thank you for your time! I appreciate that there is a community I can reach out to for help.

I completed a Biology B.S. in 2021, and I am currently a Thesis-MS student studying cellular, molecular, and developmental biology. My graduation plan is likely 2023, and I would be applying to DVM programs during the 2022-2023 academic year. My in-state school is NCSU, but I am interested in Tufts, Virginia-Maryland, LMU, and Ohio.

STATS:
Undergrad GPA: 3.25
Last 45 GPA : 3.05
Graduate GPA: TBD - first semester

Research Experience:
Cell/Molec, Developmental - Developing a thesis project that includes recombinant mouse studies.
Microbiology - Undergraduate, independent project studying antibiotic resistance (unpublished, but presented)
Organismal Biology - Systematic and biogeographic study of lizard species (COVID interupted and prevented travel to collection site, but literature review, methods, proposal, and software practice were completed.)

Honors:
Undergraduate honors student, scholarship awarded
Small grant recipient, $500
Volunteer of the Year (2012 - I was quite young)

Professional Experiences:
Ecology TA - running two lab sections
Supplemental Instructor/Volunteer tutor - several classes covered including world religions, general biology, genetics, microbiology
Peer Mentor - Mentorship of students looking to consider healthcare fields, research, or other graduate programs
Several food service jobs (Schedule restrictions required odd work hours)
Two-year employment at boarding facility as a stable hand
Pet-sitting clientele covering small, large, and exotic animal species.

Shadowing/Animal Experience:
Small animal - 500 hours (Schedule restrictions made employment in a clinic difficult) shadowing, personal pet related animal care
Large animal - 10 hours shadowing, participation in collegiate equestrian teams & equine studies program as well as personal equine care/handling experience, 5 years of volunteering (I was in middle school and early high school), will pursue other shadowing
Exotic animal - Currently seeking opportunities, one lined up that may lead to a maximum of 24 hours - looking for others

Other:
A few honors societies in undergrad, one leadership position held.
Two graduate student clubs

Edit - my graduate student clubs are both related to STEM outreach and volunteer work

I appreciate any feedback or recommendations you may have! I recognize my experience is definitely a portion of the application I need to improve. Any recommendations on how to improve exotic animal experience with a vet that is not during the 9-5 work week? I am a full-time student and have limited week-day availability because of the lab time required in my program.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do whatever you need to do to make strong grades in your graduate program to pull up your last 45 and cumulative GPAs (for schools that include those grades in those calculations). I was accepted to VMCVM as a non-resident with a lower cGPA than yours but my last 45 GPA was a 4.0. They really seem to value resiliency and non-traditional experiences (so your research experience is great). I think being able to show you can succeed academically at the graduate level will help you a ton for VMCVM (and probably other schools too).

Definitely keep pursuing more veterinary experience to round out that aspect of your application. I was working full time in an unrelated career when I was getting veterinary experience and it was tough but a little at a time really adds up! I worked/shadowed lots of weekends and holidays in SA ER and equine practice and ended up using vacation time for my exotics stuff (maybe you could try to time those with your school breaks?). You could also reach out to practices that have weekend or evening hours.

Good luck! Anything's possible and you've got plenty of time to really improve your application :)

Thank you so much!! I was hoping to consider some PhD-DVM tracks because I do really enjoy research, but I know they're quite competitive! I have been on track for a 4.0 this semester so far (fingers crossed!!) and plan to keep it that way the best I can!

Did you work or shadow in the SA ER? I unfortunately cannot have a second job outside of my Teaching Assistantship (part of the stipend agreement), and I am limited to shadowing only. I would love to gain that experience but I feel like I would very much be in the way! Unfortunately I do not get to take breaks (Summer vacation included) in the program I am in so I am having some difficulty planning shadowing in general.

Thanks again for your help!