WAMC/ Help with school list: 3.95/ 511 ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sai641

Reaction score
Hey y'all! Looking for some advice on where to apply. For now, I'm thinking of applying to all the Texas schools on TMSDAS and only a few on AMCAS. I'm just a bit worried about my MCAT score because it's a bit lower than the ORM avg MCAT in Texas. I would really like to get into any Texas MD school at this point but my goal is either McGovern or UTMB. Any insight on my app would be appreciated :)
  1. cGPA and sGPA: 3.95/3.95
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 511 (127/125/129/130)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): TX ORM
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Indian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: UTD
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
Clinical experience: Scribe at GI clinic for 1 year and a half (around 800 now but projected 950-1000 hours by the time I apply)
Clinical Volunteering : Hep B/ C screening (14-15 hours), free non-profit clinic (6-8 hours), liver clinic (50-60 hours)
  1. Research experience and productivity: liver clinic (200-250 hours) 3 published abstracts- 3 posters (AASLD, DDW) and am coauthor on 2 of them, neurolingustics lab at uni (study language processing using EEG on kids and adolescents- 350 hours)
  2. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: plastic and hand surgery (10-12 hours), sleep (8 hours), GI (12 hours), internal medicine (6-8 hours), pediatric oncology (currently shadowing, but likely around 15 hours)
  3. Non-clinical volunteering: art helper at private montessori (60-65 hours), local campus org (30-35 hours), art exhibition helper (5-6 hours), do art presentations at local hospice 1-2 times monthly ( 12-15 hours)
  4. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): President of club on campus where we raise money for ALSF for the last year, AMP coordinator for Kesem for past 2 years, part of a online fellowship with UCSF for digital health for a year and a half, TAed for intro to neuro class for 2 semesters, planning on doing research at local med school full time during gap year
  5. Anything else not listed you think might be important: I was an ALL survivor when I was little, love doing art as a hobby and have had my pieces featured in several exhibitions locally and in Texas.

Members don't see this ad.

The Texas schools like high GPAs so you should receive interviews. Most AMCAS schools interview few Texas applicants since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school. You could try TCU and Tulane.