WAMC - Help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ms.Booknerd

Reaction score
Hey guys, I hope you are all doing well! I am planning on applying this cycle and I would appreciate any advice with a medical school list

Academics/Background:
GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 514
Major: Cell Bio and Psych Double Major
Graduation Year: 2021
Large State School
Ethnicity: South Asian Female
State of Residence: NJ

Clinical Volunteering:
  • EMS - Certified EMT (2+ years & 1000+ hours)​
    • Continuing into pandemic​
  • Global Brigade (40+)​

Nonclinical Volunteering:
  • Crisis Textline (100 hours)​
  • Tutored Children in Elementary School (40 hours)​
  • Religious Summer Day Camp Counselor (200 hours)​

Shadowing:
  • GP in India - 105 hours​
  • Cardiologist - 300 hours​

Research Experience:
  • Wet Lab Research - Cardiology Lab at State Med School (~300 hours)​
  • Behavioral Lab Research (1000+ hours)​
    • University Summer fellowship for this research (x2)​

Student Organizations:
  • A Philanthropy Organization (Raises money for underserved children that need medical assistance) - President for the last two years​
  • Cultural Club - President next year, Treasurer this past year​

School List: I am planning on applying to all NJ schools and am focusing on applying to MD schools. I will likely be applying to 25-30 schools. So far I have these schools on my list as I would like to stick to the East Coast (preferably near NJ). The schools on this list are just ones I have considered so far. Any recommendations about schools would be really useful. Thank you!
  • NJMS​
  • Robert Wood Johnson​
  • Cooper​
  • Seton Hall​
  • Albany​
  • Einstein
  • Mount Sinai
  • Stony Brook
  • Hofstra
  • Rochester
  • NY Medical College
  • Albany​
  • SUNY (not sure which)​
  • Penn State​
  • U Pitt​
  • Drexel​
  • Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Tomas Jefferson​
  • Temple​
  • UMD
  • George Washington
  • Georgetown
  • Howard
  • UVA
  • Virginia Commonwealth
  • Emory
  • Quinnipiac
  • U Conn
  • Tufts
  • U Mass
  • BU

@Faha @Mr.Smile12 @Goro

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Howard mainly accepts applicants from the African American community. UConn, UMass, SUNYs accept few non residents with no connection to the state. You should receive several interviews from the other schools on your list.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Could you be specific about the cardiology shadowing. How much of it was related to research (concerns you're double-dipping hours)?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile
Thanks for letting me know your concern. The research and shadowing hours are not related. I did my lab work and shadowing with two different doctors. The time I spent with the lab and the doctor just happened to be the same.

Thanks for letting me know your concern. The research and shadowing hours are not related. I did my lab work and shadowing with two different doctors. The time I spent with the lab and the doctor just happened to be the same.
Make sure you make this clear (specifically name the doctors you shadowed which should be different from your research PI). I would also try to stretch out and shadow in a different specialty from other experiences you have already attained (so not ER or peds).

Make sure you make this clear (specifically name the doctors you shadowed which should be different from your research PI). I would also try to stretch out and shadow in a different specialty from other experiences you have already attained (so not ER or peds).
I have made it clear on the application, but thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.
I also started shadowing with an internist before the pandemic led to stay at home orders. My hour count was comparatively lower than my other shadowing so I didn’t include it in my application before. I’ll definitely add it in since you think it would be helpful. I’m also planning on going back as soon as his office opened back up so I’ll also add in with future hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Overall, how competitive do you guys think my application is? I still a little worried about the strength of my EC's and MCAT score (because it is a bit low compared to my GPA).

Hey guys, I hope you are all doing well! I am planning on applying this cycle and I would appreciate any advice with a medical school list

@Faha @Mr.Smile12 @Goro
I recommend:
UCSF
U IA
U ILL
U MA
Mayo (maybe)
Case (maybe)
NYU-LI
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
BU
Pitt
U WI
U Cincy
U CO
U VM
OH State
UCF
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Creighton
Tulane
Seton Hall
MCW
Loyola
Emory
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
Your state schools.