WAMC & help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neergaaun

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I would really appreciate any feedback on my chances of getting in and school list. Thanks in advance!
  1. cGPA: 3.72
  2. MCAT: 505 (127/124/127/127)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship: CA resident, born and raised in China, came to the US in 2014, now Permanent Resident
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Chinese
  5. Undergraduate: UC Irvine
  6. Clinical experience:
    1. volunteer at the hospital: 60hr
    2. medical assistant: ~500hr
  7. Research experience:
    1. 3 yr as undergrad
    2. 2 yr full time in the same lab
    3. "real" journals: 1 paper as 2nd author, 3 other papers
    4. 1st author on a school journal
  8. Research interest: neuroscience
  9. Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
    1. OBGYN: 30hr
    2. Trauma Surgeon: 30hr
    3. Pediatrician: 60hr
  10. Non-clinical volunteering:
    1. Habitat for Humanity: 30hr
    2. Teaching elementary school kids in under-representative community: 30hr
  11. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc):
    1. founder and VP for international student org
    2. mentor and then mentor coordinator for international students
    3. tutor in g chem department
    4. private tutor for postbac students
  12. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Cum Laude
    2. department-wise research award
    3. school-wise research award

Members don't see this ad.

Your MCAT score is very low for MD/PhD programs -- consider postponing to retake it. Application is solid otherwise.

Reactions: 3 users
I second that reply. According to Princeton Review the median MCAT for MD-PhD programs is a 513.9. I would strongly consider postponing to study and retake. Only retake when you're positive you can crush it.

I second that reply. According to Princeton Review the median MCAT for MD-PhD programs is a 513.9. I would strongly consider postponing to study and retake. Only retake when you're positive you can crush it.

I'm not sure how outdated TPR's numbers are, but the average is currently a 516.1. https://www.aamc.org/system/files/2019-12/2019_FACTS_Table_B-10.pdf

Regardless, your MCAT score being so low compared to the average (with a <125 subsection score) is not going to do you any favors. I echo the same sentiments as everyone else here. Retake the MCAT and do well, then consider applying.

Reactions: 1 user