WAMC/help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1061107

State/Country of Residence: GA
Year in School: Senior
Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Biomedical Engineering w/ minors in Chem and Bio
Cumulative GPA: 3.93
Science GPA: 3.87
MCAT Score(s): 499 (Retaking August 14)- 124/125/124/126

Research Experience: 400 hrs in lab
Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. First author, second author, etc.): presented poster at BMES 2019 conference, also published as third author on paper for same research

Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): around 300 hours of unpaid in rural Vietnam doing orthopedic clinic as well as fitting prosthetics on amputee victims
Physician Shadowing: 80 hours
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 1200 hours of leading a scoliosis support group for young girls, 500 hours of raising money for scoliosis research/ raising awareness, played violin at nursing home

Other Extracurricular Activities: Violin, embroidery
Other Employment History: Was on the exec board of Honor Council at university for two years, supplemental instructor for physics for three semesters, worked in universities admissions office at front desk and as tour guide
Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): Y
Specialty of Interest (if applicable): orthopedics
Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): N
Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): N

Medical School List:
All the Texas schools (that's where my mom went to medical school)
Rosalind
Duke
Mercer
MCG
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Ichan
Johns Hopkins
uPenn
Vermont
Rutgers
Jefferson
Tufts
Tulane
U Colorado
U Connecticut

I know some of these are absolute reaches. Open to advice and opinions.

P.S. I am very upset w my MCAT- I was getting 510s on practice exams consistently. Between self-teaching biochem (taking it now due to path as engineering major) and psych , corona virus forcing me home, and dealing with unprecedented numbers of honor council cases, this was honestly a fluke. Working with a tutor hoping for at least A 505 at retake. I am hoping though that my GPA and EC will help to an extent.

Members don't see this ad.

With your current MCAT of 499 only Mercer and MCG are realistic for an interview. Are you willing to apply to DO schools ?

With your current MCAT of 499 only Mercer and MCG are realistic for an interview. Are you willing to apply to DO schools ?

I would prefer not to- I'll take a gap year if need be. I go to Mercer undergrad so I was really hoping to go elsewhere for medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have ~30% chance for a MD acceptance. If you increase your MCAT to 505 that goes up to 60%. If you score 510 then it is 80%. At this time it is only realistic to apply to Mercer and MCG with your current MCAT of 499. Post your new score here when available.

The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have ~30% chance for a MD acceptance. If you increase your MCAT to 505 that goes up to 60%. If you score 510 then it is 80%. At this time it is only realistic to apply to Mercer and MCG with your current MCAT of 499. Post your new score here when available.
Got it. Thank you for the advice.

If that's the case, submit to only one school and add after your MCAT scores come in. If you submitted a TMDSAS already, only apply to where you mom went to medical school though I'm not sure you get a leg up if you are out of state.

If that's the case, submit to only one school and add after your MCAT scores come in. If you submitted a TMDSAS already, only apply to where you mom went to medical school though I'm not sure you get a leg up if you are out of state.
Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately my app was already verified for amcas and I am unsure if I can remove schools? Should I hold off on secondary apps until I get my retake scores? I really was not expecting this score- I obviously would have gone about this much differently if I knew I was getting a 499. I was scheduled to take in April but it was cancelled so my whole timeline has been thrown off.

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately my app was already verified for amcas and I am unsure if I can remove schools? Should I hold off on secondary apps until I get my retake scores? I really was not expecting this score- I obviously would have gone about this much differently if I knew I was getting a 499. I was scheduled to take in April but it was cancelled so my whole timeline has been thrown off.
Yes, hold off on your secondaries (except for Mercer and MCG).

Reactions: 1 user
State/Country of Residence: GA
Year in School: Senior
Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Biomedical Engineering w/ minors in Chem and Bio
Cumulative GPA: 3.93
Science GPA: 3.87
MCAT Score(s): 499 (Retaking August 14)- 124/125/124/126

Research Experience: 400 hrs in lab
Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. First author, second author, etc.): presented poster at BMES 2019 conference, also published as third author on paper for same research

Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): around 300 hours of unpaid in rural Vietnam doing orthopedic clinic as well as fitting prosthetics on amputee victims
Physician Shadowing: 80 hours
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 1200 hours of leading a scoliosis support group for young girls, 500 hours of raising money for scoliosis research/ raising awareness, played violin at nursing home

Other Extracurricular Activities: Violin, embroidery
Other Employment History: Was on the exec board of Honor Council at university for two years, supplemental instructor for physics for three semesters, worked in universities admissions office at front desk and as tour guide
Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): Y
Specialty of Interest (if applicable): orthopedics
Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): N
Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): N

Medical School List:
All the Texas schools (that's where my mom went to medical school)
Rosalind
Duke
Mercer
MCG
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Ichan
Johns Hopkins
uPenn
Vermont
Rutgers
Jefferson
Tufts
Tulane
U Colorado
U Connecticut

I know some of these are absolute reaches. Open to advice and opinions.

P.S. I am very upset w my MCAT- I was getting 510s on practice exams consistently. Between self-teaching biochem (taking it now due to path as engineering major) and psych , corona virus forcing me home, and dealing with unprecedented numbers of honor council cases, this was honestly a fluke. Working with a tutor hoping for at least A 505 at retake. I am hoping though that my GPA and EC will help to an extent.
I came about your post as I was researching for someone, he postponed mcat , because he is not scoring well in the cars in the practice tests. we are going through the same discussions such as schools, if DO is an option! , he is taking the test end of July.
I have a question and a comment. I am very familiar with this process, it happened I helped someone 3-4 years ago at that time , had 510 mcat score. did not get selected until late in the cycle.

I am hoping you score well next time ;507-510 in GA, you need it. when are you taking it?
When did you apply and how long did it take to verify your application?

You might have best chance at Mercer, my understanding they need 503-507 , correct it me if I am wrong, but since you are mercer students , they evaluate your file and will know all your grades and a high GPA might do it but it is going to be tough at MCG from last year class the average class score was 511.
Good Luck

I came about your post as I was researching for someone, he postponed mcat , because he is not scoring well in the cars in the practice tests. we are going through the same discussions such as schools, if DO is an option! , he is taking the test end of July.
I have a question and a comment. I am very familiar with this process, it happened I helped someone 3-4 years ago at that time , had 510 mcat score. did not get selected until late in the cycle.

I am hoping you score well next time ;507-510 in GA, you need it. when are you taking it?
When did you apply and how long did it take to verify your application?

You might have best chance at Mercer, my understanding they need 503-507 , correct it me if I am wrong, but since you are mercer students , they evaluate your file and will know all your grades and a high GPA might do it but it is going to be tough at MCG from last year class the average class score was 511.
Good Luck

Hi. I am retaking august 14th. Mercers average is 499-505, plus I was already admitted to their school through a special consideration program. So if all else fails I'll just go there.

I submitted mid June and was verified about two weeks later.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi. I am retaking august 14th. Mercers average is 499-505, plus I was already admitted to their school through a special consideration program. So if all else fails I'll just go there.

I submitted mid June and was verified about two weeks later.

Congratulation and hope you do well Aug 14th.

Got a 506 on retake! still a little low but feel a lot better, looking to add some lower stat schools to list

I suggest these schools with your new MCAT of 506:
Mercer
Medical College Georgia
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
The Texas state public schools accept very few non residents with your MCAT scores though you could receive a courtesy interview at the school your mother graduated from.

I suggest these schools with your new MCAT of 506:
Mercer
Medical College Georgia
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
The Texas state public schools accept very few non residents with your MCAT scores though you could receive a courtesy interview at the school your mother graduated from.
Thank you! I have a lot of these on my list I already applied. Im not sending in secondaries to duke, Perelman, and one other and adding a few from this list!