WAMC/help with school list

D

deleted1061107

State/Country of Residence: GA
    Year in School: Senior
    Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Biomedical Engineering w/ minors in Chem and Bio
    Cumulative GPA: 3.93
    Science GPA: 3.87
    MCAT Score(s): 499 (Retaking August 14)- 124/125/124/126

Research Experience: 400 hrs in lab
    Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. First author, second author, etc.): presented poster at BMES 2019 conference, also published as third author on paper for same research

Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): around 300 hours of unpaid in rural Vietnam doing orthopedic clinic as well as fitting prosthetics on amputee victims
    Physician Shadowing: 80 hours
    Non-Clinical Volunteering: 1200 hours of leading a scoliosis support group for young girls, 500 hours of raising money for scoliosis research/ raising awareness, played violin at nursing home

Other Extracurricular Activities: Violin, embroidery
    Other Employment History: Was on the exec board of Honor Council at university for two years, supplemental instructor for physics for three semesters, worked in universities admissions office at front desk and as tour guide
    Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): Y
    Specialty of Interest (if applicable): orthopedics
    Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): N
    Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): N

Medical School List:
    All the Texas schools (that's where my mom went to medical school)
    Rosalind
    Duke
    Mercer
    MCG
    Dartmouth
    Georgetown
    Ichan
    Johns Hopkins
    uPenn
    Vermont
    Rutgers
    Jefferson
    Tufts
    Tulane
    U Colorado
    U Connecticut

I know some of these are absolute reaches. Open to advice and opinions.

P.S. I am very upset w my MCAT- I was getting 510s on practice exams consistently. Between self-teaching biochem (taking it now due to path as engineering major) and psych , corona virus forcing me home, and dealing with unprecedented numbers of honor council cases, this was honestly a fluke. Working with a tutor hoping for at least A 505 at retake. I am hoping though that my GPA and EC will help to an extent.

About the Ads

Faha

7+ Year Member
    Sep 15, 2012
    1. Attending Physician
      The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have ~30% chance for a MD acceptance. If you increase your MCAT to 505 that goes up to 60%. If you score 510 then it is 80%. At this time it is only realistic to apply to Mercer and MCG with your current MCAT of 499. Post your new score here when available.

D

deleted1061107

The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have ~30% chance for a MD acceptance. If you increase your MCAT to 505 that goes up to 60%. If you score 510 then it is 80%. At this time it is only realistic to apply to Mercer and MCG with your current MCAT of 499. Post your new score here when available.
        Got it. Thank you for the advice.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
        10+ Year Member
        Verified Expert
        Gold Member
        Oct 14, 2011
        1. Academic Administration
          If that's the case, submit to only one school and add after your MCAT scores come in. If you submitted a TMDSAS already, only apply to where you mom went to medical school though I'm not sure you get a leg up if you are out of state.

D

deleted1061107

If that's the case, submit to only one school and add after your MCAT scores come in. If you submitted a TMDSAS already, only apply to where you mom went to medical school though I'm not sure you get a leg up if you are out of state.
            Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately my app was already verified for amcas and I am unsure if I can remove schools? Should I hold off on secondary apps until I get my retake scores? I really was not expecting this score- I obviously would have gone about this much differently if I knew I was getting a 499. I was scheduled to take in April but it was cancelled so my whole timeline has been thrown off.

Faha

7+ Year Member
            Sep 15, 2012
            1. Attending Physician
              Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately my app was already verified for amcas and I am unsure if I can remove schools? Should I hold off on secondary apps until I get my retake scores? I really was not expecting this score- I obviously would have gone about this much differently if I knew I was getting a 499. I was scheduled to take in April but it was cancelled so my whole timeline has been thrown off.
              Yes, hold off on your secondaries (except for Mercer and MCG).

Reactions: 1 user

doctobeapple

2+ Year Member
              Dec 19, 2016
              1. Medical Student
                State/Country of Residence: GA
                Year in School: Senior
                Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Biomedical Engineering w/ minors in Chem and Bio
                Cumulative GPA: 3.93
                Science GPA: 3.87
                MCAT Score(s): 499 (Retaking August 14)- 124/125/124/126

Research Experience: 400 hrs in lab
                Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. First author, second author, etc.): presented poster at BMES 2019 conference, also published as third author on paper for same research

Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): around 300 hours of unpaid in rural Vietnam doing orthopedic clinic as well as fitting prosthetics on amputee victims
                Physician Shadowing: 80 hours
                Non-Clinical Volunteering: 1200 hours of leading a scoliosis support group for young girls, 500 hours of raising money for scoliosis research/ raising awareness, played violin at nursing home

Other Extracurricular Activities: Violin, embroidery
                Other Employment History: Was on the exec board of Honor Council at university for two years, supplemental instructor for physics for three semesters, worked in universities admissions office at front desk and as tour guide
                Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): Y
                Specialty of Interest (if applicable): orthopedics
                Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): N
                Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): N

Medical School List:
                All the Texas schools (that's where my mom went to medical school)
                Rosalind
                Duke
                Mercer
                MCG
                Dartmouth
                Georgetown
                Ichan
                Johns Hopkins
                uPenn
                Vermont
                Rutgers
                Jefferson
                Tufts
                Tulane
                U Colorado
                U Connecticut

I know some of these are absolute reaches. Open to advice and opinions.

P.S. I am very upset w my MCAT- I was getting 510s on practice exams consistently. Between self-teaching biochem (taking it now due to path as engineering major) and psych , corona virus forcing me home, and dealing with unprecedented numbers of honor council cases, this was honestly a fluke. Working with a tutor hoping for at least A 505 at retake. I am hoping though that my GPA and EC will help to an extent.
                I came about your post as I was researching for someone, he postponed mcat , because he is not scoring well in the cars in the practice tests. we are going through the same discussions such as schools, if DO is an option! , he is taking the test end of July.
                I have a question and a comment. I am very familiar with this process, it happened I helped someone 3-4 years ago at that time , had 510 mcat score. did not get selected until late in the cycle.

I am hoping you score well next time ;507-510 in GA, you need it. when are you taking it?
                When did you apply and how long did it take to verify your application?

You might have best chance at Mercer, my understanding they need 503-507 , correct it me if I am wrong, but since you are mercer students , they evaluate your file and will know all your grades and a high GPA might do it but it is going to be tough at MCG from last year class the average class score was 511.
                Good Luck

D

deleted1061107

I came about your post as I was researching for someone, he postponed mcat , because he is not scoring well in the cars in the practice tests. we are going through the same discussions such as schools, if DO is an option! , he is taking the test end of July.
                  I have a question and a comment. I am very familiar with this process, it happened I helped someone 3-4 years ago at that time , had 510 mcat score. did not get selected until late in the cycle.

I am hoping you score well next time ;507-510 in GA, you need it. when are you taking it?
                  When did you apply and how long did it take to verify your application?

You might have best chance at Mercer, my understanding they need 503-507 , correct it me if I am wrong, but since you are mercer students , they evaluate your file and will know all your grades and a high GPA might do it but it is going to be tough at MCG from last year class the average class score was 511.
                  Good Luck

Hi. I am retaking august 14th. Mercers average is 499-505, plus I was already admitted to their school through a special consideration program. So if all else fails I'll just go there.

I submitted mid June and was verified about two weeks later.

Reactions: 1 user
                  D

deleted1061107

Got a 506 on retake! still a little low but feel a lot better, looking to add some lower stat schools to list

Faha

7+ Year Member
                    Sep 15, 2012
                    1. Attending Physician
                      I suggest these schools with your new MCAT of 506:
                      Mercer
                      Medical College Georgia
                      NOVA MD
                      Wake Forest
                      George Washington
                      Drexel
                      Temple
                      Jefferson
                      Seton Hall
                      New York Medical College
                      Vermont
                      Quinnipiac
                      Oakland Beaumont
                      Wayne State
                      Medical College Wisconsin
                      Loyola
                      Rosalind Franklin
                      St. Louis
                      Creighton
                      TCU-UNT
                      The Texas state public schools accept very few non residents with your MCAT scores though you could receive a courtesy interview at the school your mother graduated from.

D

deleted1061107

I suggest these schools with your new MCAT of 506:
                        Mercer
                        Medical College Georgia
                        NOVA MD
                        Wake Forest
                        George Washington
                        Drexel
                        Temple
                        Jefferson
                        Seton Hall
                        New York Medical College
                        Vermont
                        Quinnipiac
                        Oakland Beaumont
                        Wayne State
                        Medical College Wisconsin
                        Loyola
                        Rosalind Franklin
                        St. Louis
                        Creighton
                        TCU-UNT
                        The Texas state public schools accept very few non residents with your MCAT scores though you could receive a courtesy interview at the school your mother graduated from.
                        Thank you! I have a lot of these on my list I already applied. Im not sending in secondaries to duke, Perelman, and one other and adding a few from this list!

About the Ads
                        This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        7. This thread is locked.