WAMC? High GPA, low experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ragray

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm just trying to get an idea of where I stand before submitting applications this cycle. This is my first time applying. I had an internship scheduled for ~100 equine cardiology hours this summer, but that fell through due to COVID-19, so I am feeling pretty discouraged about my experience.

As of now, I am applying to UTK (in-state), NCSU, UC Davis, Washington State, and Missouri. I have heard that several of these schools focus more on academic stats than experience (let me know if not true, please). Please let me know if there are any specific schools you think I'd have a good shot at.

Also, my undergraduate school weights GPA based on a +/- system. The GPAs listed below are my calculations without weighting (90-100 is a 4.0, 80-89 is a 3.0, etc), because I am not sure how VMCAS/ vet schools calculate it. My GPA with weighting is a 4.00 or higher, depending.

I am an upcoming senior (c/o 2021), getting a BS in Biology with a minor in English/literature.

Cumulative GPA: 3.88
Last 45 GPA: 3.87
Science GPA: 3.83
GRE: 164 Verbal, 159 Quant, 4.5 Writing (I have only taken it once, not sure if I should retake)

Veterinary Experience:
~1000 hrs small animal general practice
~100 hrs mixed animal general practice (small/large/exotic)

Animal Experience:
~250 hrs exotic (reptile) caring for laboratory animals (various snakes, legless lizards, turtles, etc)
~500 hrs small animal (animal shelter volunteering)
~ 100 hrs large animal (volunteering on a farm)
~100 hrs mixed animal (goats, ferrets, chicks, dogs) (animal therapy at nursing homes)

Research:
~250 hours in reptile lab studying digestive efficiency
(Note: I am not sure if I can double-count these hours. I cared for the reptiles as well as worked in the lab. In the VMCAS, i currently have the hours split equally between the two activities)

Extracurriculars & Community Service:
-Mentoring kindergarteners
-Pre-vet club secretary for 2 years
-Environmental volunteering (picking up trash, recycling drives, etc). Was also an officer for an environmental club on campus.

Honors & Awards:
-Dean's List x3
-President's List x3
-received full tuition scholarship for undergrad
-presented at a regional Writing Center conference about STEM writing

Other Work Experience:
-I tutor at my university's writing center 10 hrs/ week.

That's all I could think of for now! Please let me know what you think. I am sure I need to improve my diversity of experience, so let me know if you have any suggestions for how to do that right now.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you have 1000+ veterinary hours, 700+ animal hours, and 250 research hours I wouldn't really consider you to be "low experience". I can't really comment about the schools you are applying to specifically but from a general standpoint I think you're in pretty good shape as long as your LORs and essays are strong.

Reactions: 4 users
I was OOS applicant to WSU and Missouri and accepted to both. Your GPA and GRE are above what mine were. I think you have pretty decent chance as far as I'm concerned. WSU does like to see everything including hobbies and all community involvement. ie hiking, biking, donating, etc. Include everything! Nail your essays and have good LORs and I think you have a decent shot! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah this isn't low experience lol

In a perfect world everyone would have large animal/equine experience but it's definitely not a perfect world (esp right now!). Don't stress too much

Reactions: 1 user