MD WAMC: High stats, low clinical. Am I screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DinoDoc7

Reaction score
--

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you could say that the 300 hours is probably clinical, although the fact that you aren't necessarily really seeing your mentees as they interact with medical staff might be a bit sketchy. For your current job, is your consenting/enrolling done in person? If it was, I would say it's clinical but some schools don't look too fondly on clinical research being clinical so YMMV.

With your stats, I would say that if you actually did another gap year where you could find clinical volunteering or found a clinical job before you submitted AMCAS so you could project hours then you could honestly shoot for T10 schools. As you are now, you could probably squeeze out an acceptance to a mid tier school at the very least if your writing is good and you can really describe your 300 hours in a clinical light.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are fine to apply in June this cycle. Accumulate another 20 hours of in person physician shadowing in the coming year and 100+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact. I suggest these schools:
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Penn State
Geisinger Commonwealth
Vermont
Dartmouth
Tufts
Yale
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
U Michigan
Western Michigan
Northwestern
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Tulane
Vanderbilt
Miami
USF Morsani
USC Keck
UCSF
Kaiser
Duke
U Virginia

Reactions: 1 user
Anything clinical to me needs to show you about the role of a health care team or system in care for patients. If you are working within the system (like patient transport), that is a little clearer to me. I guess in the same way patient navigators listen to patients and caregivers, you can argue a similar role.

Reactions: 1 users