WAMC? It's time to face reality.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DVMhopefulof???

Reaction score
Hello I plan to apply this upcoming cycle (20'-21') and I would like some advice from my peers! I will be upfront and say that my cGPA is low and I'm working to raise my GPA. I had a hardship in my life that completely destroyed me and it took me a long time to recover from the aftermath. Thankfully after getting the help that I need, my grades and my confidence with school are now in an upward trend. I would love any advice!
I am planning to apply to Michigan State, UC Davis (because it's my IS state and I know I probably won't get in), U of I, CSU, KSU, Minnesota, and Lincoln Memorial. I still need to research my schools, but I am open to any!
FEMALE. 24 YEARS OLD. CA RESIDENT
Cumulative GPA: 3.02
science GPA: I don't know how to calculate science GPA and would like guidance as to how to calculate it :)
last 45: 3.82

Any degrees achieved

Will graduate in Spring 2021 with B.S. Agriculture Science (Animal Science Emphasis)
GRE results: Will take it in the spring.

Veterinary Experience:

- ~525 hours in a SA clinic
- ~50 hours shadowing a vet tech with surgeries.
-

Animal Experience:
- 5 years riding horses, leasing horses and was a working student at a barn.
- 100 hours as a kennel attendant
- 3 years raising sheep for FFA
- 50 hours of volunteering for a local dog adoption event.
-310 hours of Lab classes that involved with handling animals (dogs, cats, rabbits, reptiles, bees, etc.)
-Pet Owner of multiple animals (snakes, dogs, cats, etc.)

Research Experience:
None and is currently looking.
Awards/scholarships:
- 3 semesters on the Dean's List
- 1 year on the President's Honors List

Extracurriculars:
- Horseback Riding
- Knitting
- Historian of my university's equestrian team
-Member of my university's equestrian team
- was in my highschool FFA show team for 3 years.
-Colorguard/Marching Band in high school for 1.5 years.

Employment:
- Disney Store Ambassador for 3 years.
- Worked in Levis for 6 months.
-Working Student at a barn for 1 year
- Kennel Attendant for 1.5 months (had to quit due to a family emergency)

Concerns:
- I am scared of my cGPA, I am suffering the consequences every day from it and I am trying my best to fix it. I am thankfully going on an upward trend with grades!
-I have a dilemma where I have a small amount of hours for veterinary experience, but I am taking physics this year and I am afraid that if I juggle school and work then my grades are most likely to suffer. So I don't know whether to stop work and focus on school at the moment.. even though I will be applying with a low amount of hours under my belt.
- Maybe I just need the cold hard truth and realize that I am too late to fix this and consider my other options..

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, your cGPA is low... but your last 45 hour GPA is fantastic! That shows you were able to recover from the difficult time you faced in your life and are capable of overcoming hardship. A lot of schools put more weight on the last 45 GPA because of this. I suggest that you explain your situation in your personal statements... turn you setback into an advantage by demonstrating how it has made you a stronger person by teaching you to overcome adversity. If you haven't already, start studying for the GRE now so you can knock it out of the park!

Your animal experience is quite diverse (handling bees is very unique!), so try to replicate that with your veterinary experience. You already have a solid amount of SA vet hours, so maybe ask the equine vet at your barn if you can shadow them? (Since you already have a ton of non-veterinary equine hours, maybe see if they could connect you with a food animal vet?) And keep looking for research opportunities!

Your cGPA may be a bit of a setback, but it's definitely not too late to bounce back! It's a different era now, and vet schools consider more than just grades when deciding who to admit. Really sell yourself in your essays and work hard to strengthen the rest of your application. I think you have a decent chance! Best of luck to you, my friend!

Reactions: 1 user
So, just to give you some hope. I was accepted to Davis this year (my second cycle) as an instate, with a 3.28 science GPA and a 4.0 last 45. My cum (which they don't look at) was a 3.27. Last year I did not get an automatic interview, but I did make it into the in-state holistic review with a science of 3.18 and last 45 of 3.72. They really favor a high last 45 (which you have), a high quantitative GRE score, and if you calculate your science GPA and its above a 3.1-3.2, you probably have a shot at an interview. Here is the vmcas science course list (VMCAS Course Subjects), so your science GPA would be calculated from all courses that fall within these subject areas.

I had a rough first couple years of undergrad, and spent 6 years (and a masters) making up for that. I thought that my low gpa would forever haunt me and prevent me from getting into vet school, but I honestly just kept working hard and pushing forward. This cycle I was able to land interviews at Davis, K-State, and CSU. I'm not going to lie, you have to have determination and grit to get over the low gpa hurdle, but you can do it!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for your kind words! I certainly feel encouraged to work harder in school! :highfive:

I applied this cycle with a 3.06 cGPA and 4.0 last 45 and was invited to interview to more schools than I was rejected from!
I don’t know how much coming from a different career benefited me but I will say that I took advantage of the explanation statement in VMCAS and worked really hard to get experience in multiple areas of vet med (would recommend you do the same). I have 0 research experience. I’d be happy to send you my explanation statement if you would like an example :)

So, just to give you some hope. I was accepted to Davis this year (my second cycle) as an instate, with a 3.28 science GPA and a 4.0 last 45. My cum (which they don't look at) was a 3.27. Last year I did not get an automatic interview, but I did make it into the in-state holistic review with a science of 3.18 and last 45 of 3.72. They really favor a high last 45 (which you have), a high quantitative GRE score, and if you calculate your science GPA and its above a 3.1-3.2, you probably have a shot at an interview. Here is the vmcas science course list (VMCAS Course Subjects), so your science GPA would be calculated from all courses that fall within these subject areas.

I had a rough first couple years of undergrad, and spent 6 years (and a masters) making up for that. I thought that my low gpa would forever haunt me and prevent me from getting into vet school, but I honestly just kept working hard and pushing forward. This cycle I was able to land interviews at Davis, K-State, and CSU. I'm not going to lie, you have to have determination and grit to get over the low gpa hurdle, but you can do it!!!!

Thank you for showing me the VMCAS Course Subjects, I took plant science classes and I didn't know that they account for science gpa! :love:UC Davis (or pretty much any school) is my reach school and I would be genuinely mind blown if I got an interview. It's just hard sometimes to have hope when you feel like your stats are haunting you. I would be at least proud of myself if I even get the in-state holistic review! I am kind of prepared to not get in anywhere this upcoming cycle, but the worst-case scenario is to keep applying! :giggle: