WAMC: low gpa/ average dat/ moderate hours. moving forward in the dental field?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rvting

Reaction score
Date of submission: later in june
Overall GPA: 3.05
Science GPA: 2.79
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 2.81
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
AA-19
Bio-16
Chem-19
Orgochem-19
Pa-19
QR-21
read-20

State of Residence: michigan

Undergrad Attended:
UDM
Major: biology
Minor: none
Minority?
Yes-mixed race
Reapplicant? Yes/
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 60 hours of shadowing 1 dentist
Volunteering Experience: 40+ hours of dental assistant volunteering
Employment: none
Research: none
Other Extracurriculars: none
Relevant Honors or Awards: none
LOR type and strength: 1 dentist, 1 committee, 2-3 sci prof
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: none
School list:

UDM, Meharry, New England, Howard, Marquette, S-Illinois, and Louisville,

Repost: didn't quite understand this section. Hopefully its ok.
it just seems that I don't really have a chance in the dental field. During my early college years I developed a GPA of 2.78, but my undergraduate GPA finished off as a 3.31. Overall comes to ~3.05, with a sGPA of ~2.79. Which really sucks because I suffered from mental health issues back in highschool and mostly recovered since then. I now have 164 graded hours, 64 in community/early college and 100 in undergrad. Hell, I only took certain stem classes, like calculus and trigonometry, for the sake of getting an associates (which was sold to me as a "big deal" by my EC program).

My DAT is a 19, and on my way to retake it
My sGPA is based on 268.3 QP and 96 graded hours.
oGPA is 500.2 QP and 164 graded hours.
60 hours shadowing, 40 hours dental volunteering.
Based on my trajectory, where do you think I'll be after 1 year post-bacc? what schools should I apply to if I should bother? It just feels like my graded hours is just too saturated(?)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your DAT is not terrible - believe me. The biology portion is really the only thing that holds you back. Also, PAT could increase too with practice just by a point or two to make you more competitive. With your GPA, the fact that you had an upward trend makes a HUGE difference. Dental schools love to see upward trends. I think you should apply regardless of what you think. There are schools out there - whether you'd like to believe it or not - that look beyond numbers. If it makes you feel better, you can look at my thread I posted recently with the low DAT score I made.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users