WAMC MCAT 520 Sci GPA 3.6 Texan Veteran

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tanglewood2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all, any input appreciated! I'm applying to every school in the TMDSAS, as well as Drexel and mayyyybe other schools! I am a Texas resident.

MCAT: 520 132 CARS / 129 Bio / 129 Chem Phys / 130 Psych Soc
GPA: 3.42 SciGPA: 3.6
25 y/o very low income, military veteran, hispanic male
One BS degree, one BA degree
Languages: English, Spanish, Chinese
Top 30 undergrad school

Shadowing: 50 hours, one doctor

Research: two experiences, one in finance and one in community outreach. a few months each, the finance one was paid though. couple hundred hours

EC: Refugee mentor and other tutoring for 6 years, recreational athletics, worked as neutral protest medic, YDSA officer, a few misc things.

Essays: Strong, I did a writing heavy bachelor's of arts

Medical/employment experience:
tons. in the military I was a medic. Also have worked in gender affirming care, mental health, as a school medical aid. well over 10,000 hours

Military: National Guard, overseas training ribbon x2, multiple activations including a multimonth COVID activation, airborne school graduate, honor graduate of AIT

WAMC for getting into a Texas MD school? Which ones do you think are target schools?

I want to work at the intersection of low income primary care, economics, and policy. any schools yall'd recommend I apply outside of Texas at which I'd have a shot, and would assist with that goal?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should receive several interviews from your Texas schools. For OOS MD schools you could try these:
Dartmouth
Brown
Boston University
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Jefferson
Drexel
Georgetown
Miami
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
U Chicago
Kaiser

Members don't see this ad :)
Throw Harvard and Yale on the list, too. Your military service and low-income status means that the low GPA may well be forgiven. Good luck. You should get lots of IIs.