WAMC Michigan resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SamuelY03

Reaction score
Date of submission: 6/30 verified around 7/5 supplements sent around 7/7
Overall GPA: 3.81
Science GPA: 3.75
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.75
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 21AA 21TS 19PAT. 21QR
State of Residence: Michigan

Undergrad Attended: University of Michigan
(Rising Senior)
Major: Microbiology
Minority? Asian Male
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
150hours from two practices. One private and one from nonprofit. about 75 each.
Volunteering Experience: about 90hours. (Continuing)
Employment: Laboratory assistant for 150(Continuing). Dental Assistant 150(Started this summer and continuing as well)
Research: No research.
Other Extracurriculars: no extracurriculars.
Relevant Honors or Awards: other than deans list not much either.
LOR type and strength: Two from core science (two microbiology professors; they are both strong) One dentist(strong to average) and one volunteer coordinator (strong to average). Honestly, I am not sure if my LORs are strong or not.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I am not sure if it's a red flag but all my experience are all from 2022 and 2023 since I had to transfer college during my freshman year (4year university to 4 year university.) and Covid.

School list:

University of Michigan (first choice, but my stats are below their average)
Marquette
Detroit Mercy
Arizona
MW- Illinois
MW- AZ (waitlisted)
LECOME (Interview invited)
Case Western
New England
NOVA
TOURO
Temple

Here is my concerns and questions.
1. I think my academic stats are okay; however, I am little worried about lacking extracurriculars. I know I should not compare myself with other applicants, but people in here post with crazy numbers like 1500 work experience and volunteering or president of some organization. I am not too sure if my lacking extracurriculars will significantly weaken my application.

2. I used path32 and some google search to finalize my school list. I am not too sure if applying 12 schools enough. I am thinking to add Louisville and Ohio state. What do you think? Do you guys recommend any other schools?

3. This question is HPSP specific questions. I am currently speaking with army recruiter to apply for HPSP program. While waiting for my recruiter to prepare for my package, is there anything I need to prepare? (Like more LORs, essay, physical requirement). Also, I got my citizen ship not too long about 2years ago. Would this significantly lower my chance of joining HPSP program?

Members don't see this ad.

Date of submission: 6/30 verified around 7/5 supplements sent around 7/7
Overall GPA: 3.81
Science GPA: 3.75
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.75
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 21AA 21TS 19PAT. 21QR
State of Residence: Michigan

Undergrad Attended: University of Michigan
(Rising Senior)
Major: Microbiology
Minority? Asian Male
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
150hours from two practices. One private and one from nonprofit. about 75 each.
Volunteering Experience: about 90hours. (Continuing)
Employment: Laboratory assistant for 150(Continuing). Dental Assistant 150(Started this summer and continuing as well)
Research: No research.
Other Extracurriculars: no extracurriculars.
Relevant Honors or Awards: other than deans list not much either.
LOR type and strength: Two from core science (two microbiology professors; they are both strong) One dentist(strong to average) and one volunteer coordinator (strong to average). Honestly, I am not sure if my LORs are strong or not.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I am not sure if it's a red flag but all my experience are all from 2022 and 2023 since I had to transfer college during my freshman year (4year university to 4 year university.) and Covid.

School list:

University of Michigan (first choice, but my stats are below their average)
Marquette
Detroit Mercy
Arizona
MW- Illinois
MW- AZ (waitlisted)
LECOME (Interview invited)
Case Western
New England
NOVA
TOURO
Temple

Here is my concerns and questions.
1. I think my academic stats are okay; however, I am little worried about lacking extracurriculars. I know I should not compare myself with other applicants, but people in here post with crazy numbers like 1500 work experience and volunteering or president of some organization. I am not too sure if my lacking extracurriculars will significantly weaken my application.

2. I used path32 and some google search to finalize my school list. I am not too sure if applying 12 schools enough. I am thinking to add Louisville and Ohio state. What do you think? Do you guys recommend any other schools?

3. This question is HPSP specific questions. I am currently speaking with army recruiter to apply for HPSP program. While waiting for my recruiter to prepare for my package, is there anything I need to prepare? (Like more LORs, essay, physical requirement). Also, I got my citizen ship not too long about 2years ago. Would this significantly lower my chance of joining HPSP program?
too many expensive privates...

too many expensive privates...
I looked up public school that accepted good amount of Michigan resident which was ULouisville(340k), UPittsburg(335k) and UOhio(350k after first year instate program). But only less than 30 Michigan resident student enrolled for each school during 2010-2020. I was not sure if they are even worth a consideration. Also, OOS tuition price was similar for private schools like Marquette (300k), NOVA(320k) LECOME (290K). Temple(310k) Touro(320k).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are considering HPSP, you might as well look at the privates. :)

I agree your extracurriculars are light. (Having descriptions for volunteering would help to know how light). If you had to work to stay in school, that's one thing, but your hours don't add up that way. You don't even list interesting hobbies.

Dentists have to self-promote to maintain a patient base. Did you network with any dental students before your began applying? How are you promoting yourself to the schools on your list?

If you are considering HPSP, you might as well look at the privates. :)

I agree your extracurriculars are light. (Having descriptions for volunteering would help to know how light). If you had to work to stay in school, that's one thing, but your hours don't add up that way. You don't even list interesting hobbies.

Dentists have to self-promote to maintain a patient base. Did you network with any dental students before your began applying? How are you promoting yourself to the schools on your list?

I regret not joining the predental club to start the activity early on.

I have been volunteering at a nonprofit organization as a front desk person and food program volunteer to provide grocery food for underprivileged populations.

I did not list any hobbies in my activity section but in the manual dexterity essay, I wrote about playing flute and computer building.

For my application, I have focused on writing about the importance of community service. I mainly mentioned things like what I learned from volunteering and shadowing at a nonprofit organization and how I am planning to be a dentist to help them.

I regret not joining the predental club to start the activity early on.

I have been volunteering at a nonprofit organization as a front desk person and food program volunteer to provide grocery food for underprivileged populations.

I did not list any hobbies in my activity section but in the manual dexterity essay, I wrote about playing flute and computer building.

For my application, I have focused on writing about the importance of community service. I mainly mentioned things like what I learned from volunteering and shadowing at a nonprofit organization and how I am planning to be a dentist to help them.
1) What's past is past. Not a big deal now.

2) If this comprises your 90 hours of community service/volunteering, keep it going.

3) As long as it's mentioned, okay.

4) What community service activities do you want to do in dental school? What things have you done that are most similar to those activities? What draws you to HPSP?

1) What's past is past. Not a big deal now.

2) If this comprises your 90 hours of community service/volunteering, keep it going.

3) As long as it's mentioned, okay.

4) What community service activities do you want to do in dental school? What things have you done that are most similar to those activities? What draws you to HPSP?
HPSP program was appealing for me since I got my citizenship not too long ago and want to return it back. I honestly want to stay as a military dentist if they allow me as I do not care too much about being on active duty or getting sent to different location. Also, I am not sure what I will do community service in dental school but maybe do DA for traveling dentist who treat underprivilege population. I guess doing lobby runner at free clinic was something similar or my current DA job. After graduation, I know many military dentist who volunteer at free clinic during weekend. I want to do something similar.