WAMC- narrowing down the list to realistic schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sophacles

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently working on VMCAS and I cannot for the life of me narrow down my list of schools. I have 10 right now and would ideally like to get it to 7, maybe 8. One school I'm considering is Tufts, but I know they are competitive, so I wanted to post a WAMC for that.
Some other schools I'm unsure about are: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Washington, Penn, Cornell, Purdue
Sorry if this is pretty barebones, I don't need super detailed answers.
GPA: 3.89
GRE: verbal 85th, quantitative 75th, analytical writing 92nd
Will have two Bachelors- Pre-Veterinary Sciences and Wildlife Ecology and Conservation.
About 500 vet hours, I only recently got my first job at a clinic.
500 hours interning at a bird rescue, but not under a veterinarian so it doesn't count as vet hours unfortunately.
Many more hours of employment experience at information desks, retail, and farming.
Extracurriculars: treasurer of an honorary fraternity, treasurer and founding member of a pre-vet club.
LORs: 2 vet, 1 advisor, 1 supervisor at the bird rescue, 1 professor

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can keep WA on your list. Your GRE&GPA puts you in tier 1 which is likely to get an interview. Definitely make sure you list all your involvement in everything for them. Rock your LORs and essays!
I know COVID has put a damper on everything, but even after you submit your application keep getting experience and diversifying if you can-it'll help if you have to reapply for whatever reason as well as help along the way in vet school if you get in!
As always apply to your IS if you have one. I personally would suggest switching out some of the OOS ones like Penn with high tuition for ones that allow tuition switching like Missouri.

Thanks for the response! I’m from DE so my “in-state” is GA because they have the contract with them. I think I will actually take Penn off my list- it’s been tough because everyone from this area talks about it and applies there so I felt obligated, but the price and location aren’t ideal for me.

I would also think about keeping Purdue on your list. Your GPA is well above the average, so that's to your advantage. It also seems like you have a range of experience both veterinary and animal-based, which is another point in your favor. Though we don't have numbers for some of your stats, it seems like you have a shot at making it to the interview stage. I don't know much about the other schools on your list, but hopefully this was at least somewhat helpful.

I second switching out some of your higher tuition schools for other schools. Good luck on your application cycle :)