WAMC Non Trad 1st Time Applicant Soph.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bearshake

Reaction score
Hello!
I have been toying with the idea of going to vet school for the past four years. Last year while attending a four-year college, I had a breakdown about finances and my future family plans and decided to try pursuing nursing (better outcome/benefits/pay overall after getting a lot of hate for trying to get into vet school). I hated it and have since dropped out. I found out I have infertility struggles which made me focus more on my career.
I'm going back to finish my bachelors in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry and Bioinformatics (Focus on Molecular Biology). I have some credits already to support a minor in either chemistry or professional communication. Is there any push to go one way or another with minors? Does the back and forth with my college degree make vet schools uninterested?
I'm currently working full-time at the ER, part-time school with the four-year. I plan to find some sort of volunteer experience/research opportunity this year to aid with my application.
I do not plan to apply to vet schools until next year, expecting to graduate with my bachelors in Fall 2025. With my current line up with experience/GPA, is it even worth pursuing? I love this field and know I would love even more to be a veterinarian, being an RVT would be my fall-back but it's not what I want to be in life.

Cumulative GPA: 3.2 at Four year/ 3.6 with associates (Not sure how to combine)
science GPA: Not sure how to find
last 45:
Not sure how to find

Any degrees achieved
Associates Degree in Transfer Biology (2022)

GRE results: Not taken

Veterinary Experience:
2 years as a veterinary anesthesia technician with an orthopedic practice
2 years as a veterinary emergency technician with an ER
2 years as a veterinary assistant with a rDVM
(Just about finished with an RVT, have an assistants certificate, CPR/BLS certified through RECOVER)

Animal Experience:
6 years experience as an unlicensed vet tech

Research Experience:
None

Awards/scholarships:
Magna Cum Laude with Associates Degree
Dean's List for entire tenure with Associates Degree
Phi Theta Kappa with Associates Degree (Four year school does not participate)
Multiple senators/delegates scholarships
Science award with my high school

Extracurriculars:
Pre-Vet Club

Employment:
6 years experience in various hospitals (Ortho, ER, IM) as an unlicensed vet tech
4 months as a radiology assistant technician with Johns Hopkins Imaging
2 years as a retail sales person

Members don't see this ad.

I absolutely think it would be worth applying! It sounds like you have a competitive background and I think that you should go for it if you love the field! I don't think that they will have any issue with your educational background as long as your GPA is competitive and you have completed all the pre-reqs for the schools you apply to. As long as you have time, I agree that you should try to diversify your hours by adding in research or large animal/exotic/etc. if you can. I think that we have somewhat similar stats so I have faith that it would be worth your while to invest in applying!