WAMC: Non-Traditional, Low GPA, Tons of Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mn1309

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I wanted to post my stats on here and ask what my chances may be, and where to apply when I have a low GPA.
I am a non-traditional applicant who graduated in 2019 with a business degree and later decided to take pre-requisites for veterinary school. I've worked full time as a tech in a small animal clinic for three years now while taking my pre-requisites part-time, some in person and some online which has definitely been difficult. I failed O Chem 1 the first try, got a D the second try, and an A the third try which really hurt my GPA. I am done all pre-reqs but am currently taking an animal physiology class required by LMU. I applied to several schools last year but did not get in to any.

My overall GPA is a 3.14.
Last 45 is a 3.0
Science GPA is a 3.02.

Veterinary Experience:
Small animal - working full-time as a tech for 3 years working in all areas including surgery, ER, rehabilitation.
Large Animal - Equine veterinarian shadowing around 150 hours.
Exotic - Some exotic experience (about 20 hours) at one of our other clinics.

Animal-related Experience:
Competitive Equestrian of 14 years, I rode on my college's IHSA equestrian team and was our Barn Manager.
2 years of experience working as a barn manager and riding instructor.
Volunteering at our local Zoo
Working on a dairy goat farm with cows, chickens, horses and goats for several years.
10 years of pet sitting experience including exotics, large, and small animals.

I've also held many jobs and have never been unemployed since the age of 16. I've worked in retail, restaurants, pet sitting, etc.

My top school is UGA as that is my in-state and my alma mater. I also plan to apply to LMU. Where else would I have a good chance at that may weigh my experience more than my GPA? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I’d recommend Ohio State, Michigan State, and Mississippi State. Even with lower GPA these are still within reach due to your experience and such