MD WAMC - ORM 1st Time Applicant, MCAT: 521, GPA: 3.86

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a-nez

Reaction score
I did my undergrad in engineering and got a master's in Biomedical Science this past year.
I think my hard stats are good but I'm a little worried about my ECs, as in I'm worried I might be thin on hours and my stats won't balance out the lack of hours.
Please let me know!

About 200 hours of clinical volunteering.
About 50 hours of clinical shadowing (stopped short via covid).
About 50 hours of non-clinical volunteering in a homeless shelter.
About 700 hours of research on various projects, some medical some engr, no pubs, did present a poster though.
Also have a study abroad, a number of leadership experiences, and paid part-time employment for about 2 years

This is the list I plan to apply to:
Mayo
Yale
Vanderbilt
Stanford
Penn
WashU
Pitt
Hofstra
BostonU
Oregon H&SU
Georgetown
GW
Tufts
UChicago
Case Western
Michigan
Northwestern
Dartmouth
Stony Brook
UCSD
Maryland
Cornell
Einstein
Wisconsin
UVA
UNC
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Carle Illinois
WVU

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should receive several interviews from your list. You could add these schools:
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Duke
Jefferson

Reactions: 1 user
Nonclinical volunteering is very low. IDK if that'll sink you or not. Talk to some more adcoms to see if it will.

Nonclinical volunteering is very low. IDK if that'll sink you or not. Talk to some more adcoms to see if it will.
Still doing non-clinical volunteering during covid, so hours are increasing weekly and plan to speak to that in optional secondary prompts.
Will taking a gap-year job in biotech instead of medicine sink me as well? It’s all I’m able to find right now
Just praying for at least 1/30 acceptances!