WAMC ORM, 3.7 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, 519

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nachocheese21

Reaction score
1. 3.7 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA
2. MCAT; 519 (131, 126, 130, 132) will CARs be a problem?
3. State; WA
4. White
5. State school
6. Clinical experience; 150 hr ER volunteer, 1000 hours patient transporter (paid), 2000 scrub tech (paid)
7. Research; 500 hr, 1 small project, no pubs or posters
8. Shadowing; 20 hrs, anesthesia, ortho, and radiology
9. Non-clinical volunteering; none currently, I will be volunteering at various organizations during my gap year
10. Other extracurriculars; bike mechanic at student shop, worked construction for 3 summers, distance running
11. Awards; Departmental scholarships, deans list
12. Other; I was unable to volunteer much do to financial circumstances but I am planning on doing so

School List; University of Washington, Washington State, Dartmouth, Kaiser, Hackensack, Einstein, Mount Saini, University of Cincinnati, Vermont, Emory, Ohio State, Stony brook, Stanford, Arizona - phoenix, UCLA, Iowa, Pittsburg, University of Michigan, Colorado, University of Virginia, Virginia tech, Hofstra, Sidney Kimmel

I am very open to suggestions to how I can improve my application and my school list. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

8. Shadowing; 20 hrs, anesthesia, ortho, and radiology
9. Non-clinical volunteering; none currently, I will be volunteering at various organizations during my gap year
A few things first:
Your best chances always lie with your in-state programs so you should have had opportunities to talk about your profile with them before applying. Have you done this? WSU has more seats as far as I know, so they will give you a better shot, especially if your research experience isn't too deep.

I say this because most schools want to see you have non-clinical community service before applying. For most schools, 150 hours is the minimum expectation, and more desirable applicants have 250+ hours and can meaningfully talk about their experiences in essays and interviews.

Shadowing is also low and does not seem to include primary care experiences. You should get around 50 hours minimum here and your other clinical exposure.

I understand the challenges of working while in school, but you need to be on par with most applicants who are eligible for interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be applying for the cycle beginning in 2024
In the coming year accumulate 30 hours of in person physician shadowing with a primary care physician. Also 200 hours of non clinical volunteering (homeless shelter, food bank, etc.) . You have a good school list and should receive several interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
A few things first:
Your best chances always lie with your in-state programs so you should have had opportunities to talk about your profile with them before applying. Have you done this? WSU has more seats as far as I know, so they will give you a better shot, especially if your research experience isn't too deep.

I say this because most schools want to see you have non-clinical community service before applying. For most schools, 150 hours is the minimum expectation, and more desirable applicants have 250+ hours and can meaningfully talk about their experiences in essays and interviews.

Shadowing is also low and does not seem to include primary care experiences. You should get around 50 hours minimum here and your other clinical exposure.

I understand the challenges of working while in school, but you need to be on par with most applicants who are eligible for interviews.
Thank you for the advice, I will work on those things over the next year. I will defiantly reach out to UW and WSU.

Any other suggestions?

Hi, I am updating my WMAC with more details, I would like more feedback on my school list and potential schools to look into.

1. 3.7 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA
2. MCAT; 519 (131, 126, 130, 132)
3. State; WA
4. White
5. State school
6. Clinical experience; 150 hr ER volunteer, 2000 hours patient transporter, 1500 scrub tech for ortho and spine mostly, but I've scrubbed just about every specialty
7. Research; 500 hours in an addiction lab, 1 small project, no pubs or posters
8. Shadowing; 40 hrs, anesthesia, ortho, family med and internal med. Will also have more when I submit. I also have some OR observation days that I wasn't sure if I could count as shadowing so I did not include those in my hours.
9. Non-clinical volunteering; 120 hr volunteering at a homeless shelter, will have some more when I submit, 70 hr teaching ski lessons for disabled kids
10. Other extracurriculars; bike mechanic at student shop, worked construction for 3 summers during undergrad to pay for school, distance running, skiing, mountain biking
11. Awards; Departmental scholarships, deans list

School list; UW, WSU, Colorado, Vermont, Arizona - phoenix, Iowa, University of Cincinnati, Ohio State, Dartmouth, Tufts, Creighton, Emory, Duke, Wayne State, University of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth, Zucker, Pitt

Grew up in a rural area and being a small-town doc is something I am interested in.

I love the outdoors so having outdoor recreation somewhat nearby is important to me. I would like some suggestions about schools to look into that have good hiking/biking nearby.

Reactions: 1 user