WAMC?? pls help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2020_vision

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

White
Female
First-time applicant
3.78 cGPA
513 MCAT (130/127/128/128)

ECs:
  • Research: 450 hours, throughout 3 years of undergrad
    • No publications but I might have one (not first author) by the fall
  • Volunteering (clinical): 90 hours at two different hospitals
  • Shadowing: 85 hours
    • Specialties represented: cardiology, neurology, hem/onc, peds, intensive care
  • Leadership roles
    • Co-founder and VP of a volunteering club where we went to a children's hospital (2 semesters senior year)
    • Mentor for freshman engineering students as they worked on a semester-long conference project
    • Corresponding secretary for my school's chapter of Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society (2 semesters senior year)
  • Currently in my gap year, will be working as a medical scribe full-time for the year
Current school list:
Albany Med College
Carle Illinois
Creighton Univ
Cooper Med School
Dartmouth College Geisel Sch of Med
Drexel Univ
Eastern Virginia Med School
Emory University
Geisinger Commonwealth
George Washington Univ
Georgetown Univ
Medical Univ of South Carolina
New York Med College
Ohio State University
Pennsylvania State Univ
Quinnipiac Univ
Rutgers NJ Med School
Rutgers RWJ Med School
Temple Univ
Tufts Univ
Tulane Univ
Thomas Jefferson Univ
Univ of Maryland
Univ of Massachusetts
Univ of North Carolina Chapel Hill
Univ of Pittsburgh
Univ of South Carolina Sch of Med
Univ of Toledo Coll of Med
Univ of Vermont Larner Coll of Med
Wake Forest School of Med
West VA Univ School of Med
Wright State Univ Boonshoft

Members don't see this ad.

What is your state of residence? You have an awful lot of OOS public schools on your list. That might be a mistake since public schools often prefer their own residents. Did you use the MSAR to develop your list? Your clinical experience is below what is expected and you don’t mention nonclinical volunteering at all. You need at least 150 hours of service to the underserved in your community.

What is your state of residence? You have an awful lot of OOS public schools on your list. That might be a mistake since public schools often prefer their own residents. Did you use the MSAR to develop your list? Your clinical experience is below what is expected and you don’t mention nonclinical volunteering at all. You need at least 150 hours of service to the underserved in your community.

I live in New Jersey, so I included all of the New Jersey public schools. I did use MSAR for the out of state schools and tried to pick some schools that had a relatively high OOS %. Because I didn't decide until halfway through college that I wanted to pursue medicine and because I did research all throughout college, I struggled to incorporate non-clinical volunteering, and that is a big worry of mine right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Remove schools such as the South Carolina schools, Wright State, Toledo, North Carolina, UMass, Maryland, Ohio State since they accept few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. Consider adding these schools instead
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin

Remove schools such as the South Carolina schools, Wright State, Toledo, North Carolina, UMass, Maryland, Ohio State since they accept few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. Consider adding these schools instead
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin

Will do. Thank you for your feedback! I'll take a look into those schools.