WAMC Psych Research Track residency

Started by psychy22
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

psychy22

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hope this is the right place. MD-PhD student finalizing my ERAS application and my program list is pretty small, I'm mainly looking at places with consistently high-impact research (currently only 15 programs, basically the ones you would expect, no real geographic preference). I think I have a strong application but I want to be certain.
School: T10 according to USNews lol
Step1/2: 260/266
Clinical grades: 4/7 Honors (including psych, medicine, ambulatory care), rest HP
Publications: 1 first author Cell/Nature/Science paper from my PhD. 1 lit review submitted. 1 small 1st author from undergrad, and 3 mid-author pubs from my gap year. All in neuroscience. I think they tell a cohesive story.
Experiences: Some leadership positions in mentorship/community service organizations
LORs: 2 psych attending I worked closely with, 1 medicine attending, 1 from PhD advisor

Will I be getting interviews at these top places or am I being too confident? I really want research to be a central part of my career so I just can't see myself wanting to train at smaller programs without very strong neuroscience faculty.
 
Last edited:
Competitive? Yes, you'll likely get interviews at a lot of the top research places in the country. I had much worse med school stats than you but a similar research profile when I applied about 3-4 years ago and interviewed at Pitt, Yale, UCSD, WashU etc for their research tracks.

What I would recommend though, is that if you haven't already done this, is looking at some mid-range programs that are strong in your particular areas of interest. I imagine that with your experiences, you have fairly well developed research interests and a particular direction that you want to go in. The thing that sets apart the top psych departments in research is not that they're doing better quality research than mid-tier places, but they have a much wider net of investigators doing quality research (and then resulting in more research money).

You should also cross-post in the psychiatry message board and see what they say.