This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NerddNeckk

Reaction score
Date of submission: App Verified 06/24/2023 and Offical DAT Received 07/05/2023
Overall GPA: 3.91
Science GPA: 3.87
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.84
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 24AA, 22 TS, 19 PAT, 20 BIO, 22 GC, 26 OC, 30 RC, 23 QR
State of Residence: California

Undergrad Attended: CC transfer to UCLA
Major: Biology
Minor: N/A
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 167 (159 General Dentistry, 8 Endo)
Volunteering Experience: 270 (All from my mosque)
Employment: 1,988 (756 Pharmacy Associate, 1232 Retail Customer Service)
Research: 320 Marine Biology and Ecology (Poster Presentation, will hopefully be published)
Other Extracurriculars: Inter-Club Council Rep for CC Club (Mental Health)
Relevant Honors or Awards: High and Departmental Honors at CC, Dean’s Honors List Second Quarter at UCLA
LOR type and strength: Worried about this part. Dentist Letter of Rec: Thought it was strong but he later told me he used ChatGPT to write the letter. Dont, know how much this will affect my application. Science Professor: Organic Chemistry Professor, have a strong relationship with, definitely my strongest letter. Science Professor: Undergraduate Research PI (Verified with schools that this is acceptable) Expecting between an average and strong letter
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I messed up and took a prereq (Biochemistry) as Pass/No Pass, ended up passing but I know this is a flag. Currently retaking the course for a grade this summer. All prereqs completed at cc

Applied Schools
In State:
UCLA, UCSF, UoP, WesternU, Loma Linda

OOS:
UAB, Colorado, Buffalo, LECOM, Temple, U of Utah, Roseman, UNLV, UPenn, Creighton, UConn, Louisville, Kentucky

Mainly just tried to apply where I could see myself going accounting mostly for cost. I know my application has a few red flags (only one place for volunteering, AI letter of rec lol, and that prereq). Any insight as to what I should do, like add schools or whatnot is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Date of submission: App Verified 06/24/2023 and Offical DAT Received 07/05/2023
Overall GPA: 3.91
Science GPA: 3.87
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.84
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 24AA, 22 TS, 19 PAT, 20 BIO, 22 GC, 26 OC, 30 RC, 23 QR
State of Residence: California

Undergrad Attended: CC transfer to UCLA
Major: Biology
Minor: N/A
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 167 (159 General Dentistry, 8 Endo)
Volunteering Experience: 270 (All from my mosque)
Employment: 1,988 (756 Pharmacy Associate, 1232 Retail Customer Service)
Research: 320 Marine Biology and Ecology (Poster Presentation, will hopefully be published)
Other Extracurriculars: Inter-Club Council Rep for CC Club (Mental Health)
Relevant Honors or Awards: High and Departmental Honors at CC, Dean’s Honors List Second Quarter at UCLA
LOR type and strength: Worried about this part. Dentist Letter of Rec: Thought it was strong but he later told me he used ChatGPT to write the letter. Dont, know how much this will affect my application. Science Professor: Organic Chemistry Professor, have a strong relationship with, definitely my strongest letter. Science Professor: Undergraduate Research PI (Verified with schools that this is acceptable) Expecting between an average and strong letter
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I messed up and took a prereq (Biochemistry) as Pass/No Pass, ended up passing but I know this is a flag. Currently retaking the course for a grade this summer. All prereqs completed at cc

Applied Schools
In State:
UCLA, UCSF, UoP, WesternU, Loma Linda

OOS:
UAB, Colorado, Buffalo, LECOM, Temple, U of Utah, Roseman, UNLV, UPenn, Creighton, UConn, Louisville, Kentucky

Mainly just tried to apply where I could see myself going accounting mostly for cost. I know my application has a few red flags (only one place for volunteering, AI letter of rec lol, and that prereq). Any insight as to what I should do, like add schools or whatnot is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
OOS:
UAB, Buffalo, LECOM, Temple, UConn, Louisville, Kentucky
why these schools?

Reactions: 1 user
UAB, UConn, LECOM, and Kentucky don’t really seem like your app aligns regionally. They’re fairly selective for OOS students. UAB rarely takes students outside the South.

I’d look into ASDOH, MW-AZ OHSU, or Colorado as replacements as they’re much closer to you regionally. (These would be safety schools outside of CO)

Loma Linda requires a Spirtual LOR as well

Agreed that taking Biochem Pass/fail is a little annoying but taking it for a grade will be fine.

I’m unsure how schools will be able to tell the dentist LOR is written by ChatGPT unless they literally didn’t edit it and were lazy.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS:
UAB, Buffalo, LECOM, Temple, UConn, Louisville, Kentucky
why these schools?
I just tried to find schools that were less expensive and shoot my shot. From what I found LECOM is on the cheaper side, UConn rarely takes OOS but offers in state after the first year, and Louisville takes OOS i think.

UAB, UConn, LECOM, and Kentucky don’t really seem like your app aligns regionally. They’re fairly selective for OOS students. UAB rarely takes students outside the South.

I’d look into ASDOH, MW-AZ OHSU, or Colorado as replacements as they’re much closer to you regionally. (These would be safety schools outside of CO)

Loma Linda requires a Spirtual LOR as well

Agreed that taking Biochem Pass/fail is a little annoying but taking it for a grade will be fine.

I’m unsure how schools will be able to tell the dentist LOR is written by ChatGPT unless they literally didn’t edit it and were lazy.
Thank you! Yes Im pretty sure im going to add an Arizona school. I was able to get a spiritual letter for LLU. Also got a supplemental from UAB this morning (invite only). Is that a good sign or does it not really mean anything

Thank you! Yes Im pretty sure im going to add an Arizona school. I was able to get a spiritual letter for LLU. Also got a supplemental from UAB this morning (invite only). Is that a good sign or does it not really mean anything
most schools send out supplementals to every application received. if they do Kira, and you received an invite, then that's a relatively good start. But I don't think UAB participates. Looking at ADEA guide, UAB took zero CA residents for CO2026. Out of 1008 OOS applications, they accepted 75. Majority of their OOS students come from the South and some from the East Coast. They had 2 students in their class come from the West (AZ and WA).

If you have family/connections to the state your chances might be better. But being from CA puts you at a slight disadvantage as CA has the most dental schools of any state, so you have a lot of in-state schools to choose from compared to the rest of the country.

most schools send out supplementals to every application received. if they do Kira, and you received an invite, then that's a relatively good start. But I don't think UAB participates. Looking at ADEA guide, UAB took zero CA residents for CO2026. Out of 1008 OOS applications, they accepted 75. Majority of their OOS students come from the South and some from the East Coast. They had 2 students in their class come from the West (AZ and WA).

If you have family/connections to the state your chances might be better. But being from CA puts you at a slight disadvantage as CA has the most dental schools of any state, so you have a lot to choose from compared to the rest of the country.
ooof tough luck ig. already paid the fee but thanks for the heads up

ooof tough luck ig. already paid the fee but thanks for the heads up
You never truly know, but this is why it's best to submit a WAMC thread before applying. I did the same thing too, and submitted to schools I had slim chances with and then posted a WAMC - even then I still got 5/9 interviews. It happens, but hopefully, you'll see some action from schools you're more regionally closer to. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Dentist Letter of Rec: Thought it was strong but he later told me he used ChatGPT to write the letter. Dont, know how much this will affect my application
If it was to improve his own writing, ok. If it was to write your letter, not ok. It won't look bad on you. I wouldn't be surprised if many references used chatbots.

Mainly just tried to apply where I could see myself going accounting mostly for cost.
Why don't you apply to HPSP or NHSC? At least your didn't include USC...

You don't break down what you did with your mosque for me to get a good idea about volunteering. What if you have to move away? Have you done any volunteering where your mosque isn't organizing things?

It's too bad you didn't look at UDM.

Last edited by a moderator: