WAMC? Rough start, where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlumPoppy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is going to be my 3rd application cycle, but hopefully my first time actually submitting the application. This is the first year that I actually feel prepared!

I finished my...I guess 3rd drafts of my essays? I talked a lot about my difficulties as a person from a financially-disadvantaged background who is also disabled, and with mental illness. My last semester of undergrad (Spring 2020), my grandfather got very sick and passed away within the 1st month of the year, then I got diagnosed with mono and was told I would "die if you got COVID". Then during finals week, I had to go to ER by myself to have an emergency appendectomy. I've had MANY people read it so I don't sound too mope-y. Everyone has said I sound super positive and show character and resilience so I hope it shows through! I also talked about how I know I can succeed in the field as I've not only persevered through all of that, but I can handle the "ugly side" of the field. I have seen some gnarly things in the ER hospital I worked at, and how I'm able to assist with necropsies, dissections for collecting histo samples, and cremations on a daily basis.

24 y.o. female, LA resident, 1st-time applicant

Definitely applying to:
LSU, UW-Madison, Minnesota
Considering applying?: Illinois, Oregon, RossU, LMU, Mizzou, Florida, Iowa

Undergrad cGPA: 3.38
Overall GPA: 3.33
Science GPA: 3.12 (I've taken so many science courses that this puppy ain't moving)
Last 45 Hour GPA: 3.47...had a 3.6 before taking physics :(

GRE: Still need to take!

Degree: B.S., Wildlife Ecology, Minor: Sociology

Veterinary Hours: (2105+ hours)
- Necropsy/Histology Associate @ IS School: 800+ hours
- Cross-training in Microbiology dept (50 hours so far!)
- Small animal Vet Tech: 1200 hours
- Overnight ER tech: 100 hours
- Wildlife Sanctuary w/ Vet: 5 hours

Animal Experience(1155+ hours):
- Kennel Tech: 200 hours
- Fostering Neonate Kittens: 20 hours
- Cat Shelter: 50 hours
- Wildlife Sanctuary: 90 hours
- Raptor Rehab: 10 hours
- Exotic Pet Shelters: 40 hours
- Pet-Setting: 200 hours
- Pilling Sick Personal Pets: 65 hours (Separated because I have had multiple ill pocket pets that needed daily medication for months)
- Personal Pets: 500 hours

Research Experience (2000-ish hours):
- Lab assistant for agricultural chemistry dept (3 years)

Non-Animal Volunteer Experience: (189 hours)
- Hospital/shadowing RNs, CNAs, NTs: 120 hours
- Renovating the local library's YA section and promoting the project: 40 hours
- Various local marathons for a cause: 18 hours
- Shadowing an OBGYN: 6 hours
- Local "get healthy" fair set-up and face-painting: 5 hours

Non-Animal Work Experience:
- GIS student worker (1 year)
- Retail/Restaurant (3 years)
- Medical records at vet school (1 year)

Honors/Awards/Scholarships:
- Dean's List (2 semesters)
- Staff Senate Scholarship 2018
- HS AP Scholar Award (2 years)
- HS 3rd Place District English III Exam (1 year)
- HS Highest Average Award in Honors Biology, Art I, and Talented Art IV

Extracurriculars:
- LGBTQ+ Staff/Faculty Caucus: <1 year
- Pre-Vet Club member: 2 years
- Wildlife Club member: 3 years
- Wildlife Club Treasurer: 1 year
- Exotic Animal Club member: 2 years
- PreMed Honor Society: 1 semester
- HS Key Club officer: 1 year
- HS Student Council officer: 1 year
- HS Beta Club member: 2 years

LORs:
- SA vet I worked with
- Director of my Dept at my IS-school
- Professor/Senior Advisor of my degree
- Additional LOR options?: one of the vet pathologists I work with; Practice Manager

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would not recommend applying to Oregon. They have a high bar for the relatively low number of OOS students. Is there anywhere you're not willing to apply?

Congratulations on holding off on applying until you're actually ready!! I hope the discipline pays off.

I would not recommend applying to Oregon. They have a high bar for the relatively low number of OOS students. Is there anywhere you're not willing to apply?
Not particularly! I'm open to anywhere really. I'll be happy to go to most places that'll have me, lol.

I mainly wanted to apply to Oregon because my fiancé's friend is opening a practice in Oregon and he wanted to buy into it. And thank you! It's been difficult, but hopefully worth the wait!

Members don't see this ad :)
Michigan would be a very good option, it’s my understanding that they don’t look at GPA again after you meet their minimum cut off.

Reactions: 1 user
Mizzou can be pretty GPA focused. I would consider adding Mississippi State (as well as Michigan mentioned above, gmarshall is correct about the GPA)!

Also, for your essays, are they split into 2? Like 1 as an explanation statement and 1 as a personal statement? You're pretty limited in character count so you could benefit from separating them and using your PS to focus more on the "why vet med" part!

I'm so glad you feel prepared - you have some amazing experiences and feeling prepared will help you confidently show your strengths!!

Reactions: 1 users
Also, for your essays, are they split into 2? Like 1 as an explanation statement and 1 as a personal statement? You're pretty limited in character count so you could benefit from separating them and using your PS to focus more on the "why vet med" part!
Yes I used the full character limit for both! Lol. In the personal essay I talked a lot about how I've seen the worst, but I still enjoy it. Also how to some it may seem strange to work with cadavers all day, but seeing different cases everyday fascinating to me. Though it's not glamorous and sometimes challenging work, I get to help with providing answers to clients and grieving owners about why their beloved family pet, favorite zoo-animal, or prized steer passed away. Not trying to sound too morbid, but I have a very dry sense of humor and I wanted to be authentic to myself while also being postive!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
You may also want to apply to Virginia-Maryland since they look at things pretty holistically. I know historically Illinois has been known to look at things holistically, but this past past year they had a high GPA cutoff. Good luck!

You may also want to apply to Virginia-Maryland since they look at things pretty holistically. I know historically Illinois has been known to look at things holistically, but this past past year they had a high GPA cutoff. Good luck!
I've looked into them before! Unfortunately, I don't think I'd be able to apply to them this cycle since I would have too many pre-reqs for me to feasibly complete before Spring 2023...

Also as a general question, at my job I am being cross-trained to help out in the micro dept. My supervisor is the Diagnostic lab's only practicing veterinarian, so technically vet experience? But I think it would fall more under research? I'm not sure.

Also as a general question, at my job I am being cross-trained to help out in the micro dept. My supervisor is the Diagnostic lab's only practicing veterinarian, so technically vet experience? But I think it would fall more under research? I'm not sure.
Vet experience. You aren't part of a formal research experience, you're running samples.

Reactions: 1 user