WAMC + School List, 2 Time Reapplicant

Started by bluebeans7
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bluebeans7

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First time poster, apologies if any formatting is weird. Also, of note, I had 0 interviews my first time, and 2 in my most recent cycle of which I have been waitlisted at one (Boston) and am still waiting to hear from the other (Arizona Tucson). My MCAT was taken in August 2023, so that affected my school list.

Stats: 3.81 GPA, 3.78 sGPA, 521 mcat. CA applicant.
3500 hours clinical, 300 community service, 1000 research with 1 publication.
ORM ethnicity

School List:
Albany
Alice Walton
Arizona Tucson
Boston Emory
George Washington
Hofstra
Icahn
Jefferson
Maryland
(U of) Massachussetts
Miami
Ohio State
Oregon? (unsure about this one)
Tulane
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
UCSD
University of Wisconsin
University of Washington St Louis
Vermont
Wake Forest
Wayne State
I am also considering some DOs: California Health Sciences University, Lake Erie, Touro University of California, Western University of Health Sciences

As this is my third time applying, I am really worried, especially because my MCAT will expire after this cycle. I also do not know much about DO schools and am unsure if I am a strong candidate for them. Any thoughts/adjustments to my school list would be heavily appreciated. Also if there is anything else that would be informative that I am missing, let me know. Thank you!
 
What are your full details of your experiences? Hours aren't the only thing that matters.

As a 3x applicant, you must always include DO schools, and during your 2nd application attempt, you should have entertained these options.

I have a suspicion your mission fit and writing were not optimal. Granted, you could get an A off the two interviews you have had.
 
My clinical experience is about 1000 scribing in the emergency department, 1500 (and counting) as a scribe/medical assistant at an orthopedic clinic, and then around 300 each in volunteering at a free clinic, at a hospital answering and fulfilling patient requests, and shadowing (ortho, gen surg, ENT, oncological surg). Finally about 100 hours in COVID-related roles at local clinics helping underserved populations. My community service is made up of refereeing for a local soccer organization and tutoring/helping local children of low-income families.

Definitely need to do some DOs, I am just a little worried about yield protection. My advisor for my second attempt told me to avoid DOs, which is why I am hesitant, but as a third time applicant I think it is necessary as long as I have a chance. I assume my writing could be more optimized for sure, but getting an A this cycle would be the ideal!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You need some in the trenches community service. Places where you are uncomfortable. Tutoring and coaching are good on their own right, but the are teaching and leadership.

You are likely getting screened out at many places.
 
My clinical experience is about 1000 scribing in the emergency department, 1500 (and counting) as a scribe/medical assistant at an orthopedic clinic, and then around 300 each in volunteering at a free clinic, at a hospital answering and fulfilling patient requests, and shadowing (ortho, gen surg, ENT, oncological surg). Finally about 100 hours in COVID-related roles at local clinics helping underserved populations. My community service is made up of refereeing for a local soccer organization and tutoring/helping local children of low-income families.

Definitely need to do some DOs, I am just a little worried about yield protection. My advisor for my second attempt told me to avoid DOs, which is why I am hesitant, but as a third time applicant I think it is necessary as long as I have a chance. I assume my writing could be more optimized for sure, but getting an A this cycle would be the ideal!
DO schools do not do "yield" (better yet, research) protection. My own school routinely interviews people with Stanford/Harvard stats, in vain hope that we can convince them to attend.

Your advisor is a fool.

You've now potentially lost two years of an attending's salary, so beggars cant be choosy.

Work on interview skills and look carefully at fit to mission.