WAMC/School List: 3.7 cGPA/3.6 sGPA/515 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lili9999

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m looking for advice on which schools to apply to in this cycle. I qualify as Disadvantaged on AMCAS and have FAP so I am able to apply to 20 schools. I’ve left off the Philly schools for personal reasons but am open to any other suggestions for my school list.

• cGPA: 3.7, sGPA: 3.6
    • For additional context, I had a really rough first 3 semesters of undergrad which included loss of income for my family, a parent’s cancer diagnosis, and 2 hospitalizations for me (1 for emergency surgery, then had to go back due to complications) so I have a lot of B’s, a C in Cell Bio and C- in Organic I from my 1st 3 semesters. I have a strong upward trend for the last 5 semesters (all A+/A/A- s) and in classes such as Organic II, Molecular Bio, and Biochem.
  • MCAT: 1st attempt 510 (125/128/126/131), 2nd attempt 515 (130/127/128/130)
  • State of Residence: Arizona
  • Demographics: White and Vietnamese, female
  • Languages: English, Vietnamese (spoken in childhood home), Spanish
  • Undergraduate institution: State school (outside of my state of residence)
  • Major: Biology, Minors: Spanish and Computational Research
  • LoRs are strong according to my pre-med advisor on Committee
    • I have a Committee Letter which includes 5 letters: 2 science profs (1 from PI), 1 non-science Spanish prof, 1 physician who I’ve shadowed, and 1 from my manager at my food service job
  • Paid Employment:
    • Bussing/food running at a dine-in movie theater and a Thai restaurant (~1100 hours)
    • Intro Biology lab TA (88 hours)
    • Work study job at library on campus (~500 hours)
    • Full time medical assistant and scribe at internal medicine clinic for gap year while I am applying, I just began and will continue working there for a year (2080 hours)
  • Clinical Volunteer Work:
    • President of student volunteer program doing health screenings in the community at the Salvation Army and in a rural health clinic (~100 hours)
    • Patient education and Spanish medical interpreting at a disadvantaged clinic (~45 hours)
    • Volunteer medical assisting in clinic (~75 hours)
  • Nonclinical Volunteer Work:
    • Mentoring and tutoring children (some who spoke mainly Spanish) at the public library in various subjects (~50 hours)
    • Shopping for elderly/at risk people during pandemic (~25 hours so far, may be able to do more)
  • Research:
    • Research in drug leads for neurodegenerative diseases sophomore-senior year (including a summer). I have 2 poster presentations at university conferences, 2 live stream presentations through Honors College, but no pubs (~300 hours)
  • Shadowing:
    • Internal medicine (15 hours), Family Medicine (40 hours), Pediatrics (6 hours)
  • Honors/Awards:
    • Full out-of-state tuition merit scholarship for 4 years from my university
    • Accepted into a prestigious honors program within the Honors College at my university (40 members accepted each year). I also received an additional scholarship from this program (they select 2-3 freshman each year as recipients).
    • Inducted member of AED (pre-health honor society)
  • Extracurriculars/Hobbies:
    • Competed in a university wide and a statewide collegiate case competition for solving global health issues (was captain of my team)
    • Songwriting and playing guitar, ukulele, and piano (I was a finalist in a songwriting competition in Nashville and the rights to one of my songs has been registered by an artist on Spotify)
List:

• University of Arizona – Tucson
  • University of Arizona – Phoenix
  • Wake Forest
  • Creighton
  • St. Louis University
  • Mayo AZ (Reach)
  • Medical College of Wisconsin
  • Rosalind Franklin
  • Loyola
  • Emory
  • University of Miami
  • George Washington
  • Keck at USC (Reach)
  • Hofstra
  • USF Morsani
  • University of Pittsburgh (Reach)
  • Albany Medical College
  • Boston University (Reach)
  • Geisel at Dartmouth
  • New York Medical College
  • Oakland University
  • Penn State
  • University of Vermont
  • Tulane
  • Virginia Commonwealth

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good list and should receive several interviews. You could add any of these schools:
Einstein
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Georgetown
Western Michigan
Wayne State
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD

Sorry, I'm missing the connection between being a resident of Arizona and avoiding the Philadelphia area. (I'm sure you have your reasons, but I don't understand why you needed to mention this unless to explain why they weren't on your list.)

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a good list and should receive several interviews. You could add any of these schools:
Einstein
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Georgetown
Western Michigan
Wayne State
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD

Thank you! I will look into these schools.

Sorry, I'm missing the connection between being a resident of Arizona and avoiding the Philadelphia area. (I'm sure you have your reasons, but I don't understand why you needed to mention this unless to explain why they weren't on your list.)

Yes, I mentioned it to explain why these schools weren't on my list. Sorry if that was unclear!

Reactions: 1 user