WAMC + School List - 3.7 GPA 517 MCAT URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrokenLlamas

Cat Bear Rabbit Thing/Zumzizeroo
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for the advice, everyone! I'll re-add this information at the end of this upcoming cycle (along with the results of my application cycle) to help anyone who may be interested.

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where in California do you live, and is that your home (vs. You moving around)? Have you networked with any schools, programs like the UC Postbac Consortium or Project M, or mentoring organizations like MiMentor?

Just curious about why you feel uncomfortable self-identifying as Native American. I think you would be fine.

Any; community service where you are serving other people in need outside of a clinical setting? Exclude tutoring or fundraising.

Where in California do you live, and is that your home (vs. You moving around)? Have you networked with any schools, programs like the UC Postbac Consortium or Project M, or mentoring organizations like MiMentor?

Just curious about why you feel uncomfortable self-identifying as Native American. I think you would be fine.

Any; community service where you are serving other people in need outside of a clinical setting? Exclude tutoring or fundraising.
Thanks for the reply! My permanent residence is in southern CA (currently OOS on the east coast for my gap year).

I have networked with some CA schools through pipeline programs (USC and UCLA), but not really with other organizations. I'll definitely look into some of the organizations you listed!

I felt a little unsure about listing my Native American ancestry because I was never formally registered with a tribe. I've read a couple of posts about this situation on sdn and decided it would probably be easier to avoid mentioning my Native American heritage altogether on my application. Plus, I've noticed that when I mention my very unique ethnic/racial split to people, they tend to not believe it haha.

And unfortunately not! There's a local food bank that I really wanted to participate in, as it also intertwines with a hobby of mine (gardening). Would you recommend that I try and volunteer for this opportunity before submitting my application? I appreciate the reply!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
USC Keck
Stanford
Kaiser
UC Irvine
UC Davis
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
Charles Drew
Miami
USF Morsani
Duke
U Virginia
Georgetown
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Northwestern
St. Louis
Western Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Boston University
Dartmouth
Brown
Tufts

Reactions: 1 user
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
USC Keck
Stanford
Kaiser
UC Irvine
UC Davis
Charles Drew
Miami
USF Morsani
Duke
U Virginia
Georgetown
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Northwestern
St. Louis
Western Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Boston University
Dartmouth
Brown
Tufts
Wow! I did not expect to see some of these schools on my potential list. Would my less than optimal CARS score limit my ability to apply at some of the higher-tiered schools on this list?

Thank you for the list, Faha!!

Thanks for the reply! My permanent residence is in southern CA (currently OOS on the east coast for my gap year).

I have networked with some CA schools through pipeline programs (USC and UCLA), but not really with other organizations. I'll definitely look into some of the organizations you listed!

I felt a little unsure about listing my Native American ancestry because I was never formally registered with a tribe. I've read a couple of posts about this situation on sdn and decided it would probably be easier to avoid mentioning my Native American heritage altogether on my application. Plus, I've noticed that when I mention my very unique ethnic/racial split to people, they tend to not believe it haha.

And unfortunately not! There's a local food bank that I really wanted to participate in, as it also intertwines with a hobby of mine (gardening). Would you recommend that I try and volunteer for this opportunity before submitting my application? I appreciate the reply!!
Mentoring: find YouTube videos from MiMentor and any of the school admissions offices. LMSA and SNMA chapters too. Read Building Your Best School List - SDN .

Volunteering: i would suggest finding something, yes. I don't know who runs community gardens where you are living but that is one way to combine your interests with a service orientation.

I think you should ask your network for advice on self identification too. I understand not getting pigeon holed into certain presumptions about your life -- past or future -- based on your heritage. Include it if it fits your narrative for sure.

In researching for Becoming a Student Doctor, i have learned a lot more about "registering" and some if its problems. With that insight, I don't push as hard on this. Similarly for not being Spanish fluent if you are Latinx. (One will need to enroll in the course to know more.)

You should find a lot of the UC schools to be very receptive about your story and hopefully your intentions to become a physician. Network and figure out your comfort level with each group of administrators, faculty, students, and clinical opportunities. You have the potential that I can say, "Make them want you."

Last edited:
Wow! I did not expect to see some of these schools on my potential list. Would my less than optimal CARS score limit my ability to apply at some of the higher-tiered schools on this list?

Thank you for the list, Faha!!
No, and include your Native American ethnicity in your application.

Reactions: 1 users
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
USC Keck
Stanford
Kaiser
UC Irvine
UC Davis
Charles Drew
Miami
USF Morsani
Duke
U Virginia
Georgetown
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Northwestern
St. Louis
Western Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Boston University
Dartmouth
Brown
Tufts
Concur but cut the list (don't apply to that many!) based on whatever is important to you (location, research required for graduation, grading scheme, etc).

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
USC Keck
Stanford
Kaiser
UC Irvine
UC Davis
Charles Drew
Miami
USF Morsani
Duke
U Virginia
Georgetown
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Northwestern
St. Louis
Western Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Boston University
Dartmouth
Brown
Tufts
I concur with the wise Faha. Also consider IU, U Miami, Morehouse, Meharry, and Howard.

Mentoring: find YouTube videos from MiMentor and any of the school admissions offices. LMSA and SNMA chapters too. Read Building Your Best School List - SDN .

Volunteering: i would suggest finding something, yes. I don't know who runs community gardens where you are living but that is one way to combine your interests with a service orientation.

I think you should ask your network for advice on self identification too. I understand not getting pigeon holed into certain presumptions about your life -- past or future -- based on your heritage. Include it if it fits your narrative for sure.

In researching for Becoming a Student Doctor, i have learned a lot more about "registering" and some if its problems. With that insight, I don't push as hard on this. Similarly for not being Spanish fluent if you are Latinx. (One will need to enroll in the course to know more.)

You should find a lot of the UC schools to be very receptive about your story and hopefully your intentions to become a physician. Network and figure out your comfort level with each group of administrators, faculty, students, and clinical opportunities. You have the potential that I can say, "Make them want you."

Thank you for all of the advice, Mr.Smile12!

I will absolutely begin networking with schools that I am interested in attending. I really appreciate your insight - thanks again!

No, and include your Native American ethnicity in your application.
Concur but cut the list (don't apply to that many!) based on whatever is important to you (location, research required for graduation, grading scheme, etc).
I concur with the wise Faha. Also consider IU, U Miami, Morehouse, Meharry, and Howard.
You could apply anywhere.

And thank you, Faha, LizzyM, Goro, and gyngyn for your input! You all have given me a little more confidence in my application than what I had prior to this post (and even now, seeing some of the suggested schools feels a little surreal!) - I truly appreciate all of the advice given to me!!!

Reactions: 1 users