WAMC+School list? 3.9/516 + public health experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mccartneys

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm planning on applying this cycle and was looking to get others' perspectives on my chances and school list!
  • GPA: 3.85
  • sGPA: 3.75
  • MCAT: 516 (126/131/128/131)
  • Residence: Michigan
  • URM? No
  • Undergraduate institution: Smaller state school in Michigan
  • Degree: Double majored in Biology and Business Studies with a concentration in communications
  • Clinical experience:
    • 120 hours ER volunteer
    • 40 hours at a COVID-19 vaccine center
  • Research experience:
    • 176 hours in inorganic chemistry lab (electrochemistry)
    • Abstract accepted for presentation at the ACS national convention; was unable to present due to the pandemic (unsure whether to include this in app)
  • Shadowing:
    • 35 hours internal medicine
    • 105 hours across multiple specialties at a large urban hospital (unsure if I can put this on app because it occurred in high school)
  • Non-clinical volunteering
    • 160 hours at COVID-19 testing sites
    • 175 hours tutoring GED/high school/community college courses for ESL individuals
    • 120 hours tutoring for American citizenship tests
    • 40 hours translating and distributing CDC/state COVID-19 guidance and epidemic orders to churches/community centers
  • Work experience
    • 700 hours as a community education and outreach representative for a lead hazard control grant program at my county health department; worked with low income and medically underserved populations
    • 2500 hours as program administrator for the lead hazard control program (promoted from above position)
    • 560 hours as a COVID-19 compliance inspector at my county health department
    • 780 hours as program manager for the above mentioned COVID-19 compliance program; managed a team of 15 inspectors (promoted from above position)
    • 500 hours as an environmental health intern
    • 400 hours tutoring biology at a community college (unsure if I can include this in app because I was hired while in high school/dual enrolled)
  • Honors or awards
    • Dean's list every semester attended
    • Graduated with high honors
    • Business studies honor scholar, two years (top student in major program)
    • Full ride merit scholarship for undergrad
  • Other
    • Attended a summer course at Cambridge on medical ethics and international healthcare systems
    • State certified lead inspector
  • School list:
    • University of Michigan Medical School
    • Wayne State University School of Medicine
    • Western Michigan University School of Medicine
    • Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
    • Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
    • Central Michigan University College of Medicine
    • Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University
    • NYU Long Island School of Medicine
    • Boston University School of Medicine
    • University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
    • Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You could add any of these schools to your application:
Toledo
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Tufts
Jefferson
Drexel
Temple
George Washington
Medical College Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad :)
Your application overall looks good. Your current list is a bit short. Add some more schools to try to get to 20 or so.

On top of the ones Faha suggested, you can look into: Miami, Emory, SLU, Iowa, Case Western, OSU, Vermont, Albany, Wake Forest, NYMC.