WAMC/School List 3.93/516 MA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BitofNothin

Reaction score
Hey everyone, my premed advisor has left me feeling like I'm doomed for failure this cycle, so looking for any suggestions.
1) cGPA: 3.93, sGPA: 3.94
2) 516 (130, 128, 129, 129)
3) MA Resident
4) ORM (Asian)
5) Unremarkable State School
6) 200 hrs EMT (12/2022-5/2023) 100 hrs ER Tech (5/2023-5/2024) (400 projected)
7) 350 hrs BME lab (1/2022-1/2023), 300 hrs Organic Chem lab (9/2022-5/2024) (500 projected, doing honors thesis project here)
8) 30 hr shadowing (Gen Surgeon in OR and clinic, ENT in OR)
9) 150 hr soup kitchen (9/2022-5/2024) (100 projected) 250 elementary school science outreach club (9/2020-5/2024) (50 projected)
10) 150 hrs premed mentor (9/2022-5/2023), 300 hrs hobby music producer (1/2020-5/2024), 150 hrs Biochem TA (1/2023-5/2023), 150 hrs Physics Supplemental Instructor (1/2022 -5/2022)
11) Dean's List all semesters, Honors Student
12) Biomedical Engineering, Traditional Applicant (no gap year)

School List:
Umass
Tufts
BU
Carle (Yes I have all the prereqs)
Colorado
Texas A&M
Dartmouth
Penn State
Einstein
UMich
Wayne State
Rochester
St Louis
Creighton
Oakland
Florida International
Vermont
Wake
Northwestern
Temple
Drexel
Mayo
Virgina Commonwealth
East Virgina
Nova MD
Miami
Western Mich
Loyola
Quinnipiac
Med Col Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Remove Loyola since they are looking for applicants with more clinical and non clinical hours than you have.
You could add these schools:
Albany
New York Medical College
Jefferson
USF Morsani

Members don't see this ad :)
Any way you could get more shadowing hours in primary care? Your specialized shadowing is fine, but the hours are low and there's no primary care experience whatsoever which may get you screened out at some schools.

Please tell us what was said.. . Your analysis seems hyperbolic (not the curve).
She basically just said that I don’t have enough life experience for medical schools to care abt me. I’m already pretty committed to applying this cycle tho

Remove Loyola since they are looking for applicants with more clinical and non clinical hours than you have.
You could add these schools:
Albany
New York Medical College
Jefferson
USF Morsani
Do you think my hrs are fine for the rest of the schools? That’s kind of my main worry atm.

Any way you could get more shadowing hours in primary care? Your specialized shadowing is fine, but the hours are low and there's no primary care experience whatsoever which may get you screened out at some schools.
Yeah I’m trying but it’s hard, I had to pull a few strings to even get the gen surg shadowing

Do you think my hrs are fine for the rest of the schools? That’s kind of my main worry atm.
Another 20 hours of shadowing before you apply would be helpful. Your stats are competitive for most of the schools on your list but your clinical and non clinical hours are not competitive for schools such as Dartmouth, BU, Northwestern, Mayo since many applicants to those schools will have similar stats but much higher clinical and non clinical hours.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I’m trying but it’s hard, I had to pull a few strings to even get the gen surg shadowing
You should remove your T20 schools from the list since you'll be screened out by your low shadowing hours, especially with the lack of primary care. I would follow Faha's guidance as well.

She basically just said that I don’t have enough life experience for medical schools to care abt me. I’m already pretty committed to applying this cycle tho
This sounds like it's coded for age... i.e., you're really "young." It's a little ironic if you are a prehealth mentor... didn't the advisor train you up on this?

How are you able to rack up the hours as an EMT/ER tech while in school? 40 hours/month as an EMT == 10 hours/week? Is this right?

I agree the major issue is the relatively low shadowing in primary care... I don't know how much more ER work could help with this, but something more traditionally family/internal med or pediatrics could help.

Mission fit is very important for success. Just having solid statistics is not enough. What do you think is calling you to be a physician, and what do you see yourself doing routinely 10 years from now?
(Becoming a Student Doctor might help you gain more gravitas that your advisor might think you lack. See signature.)

This sounds like it's coded for age... i.e., you're really "young." It's a little ironic if you are a prehealth mentor... didn't the advisor train you up on this?

How are you able to rack up the hours as an EMT/ER tech while in school? 40 hours/month as an EMT == 10 hours/week? Is this right?

I agree the major issue is the relatively low shadowing in primary care... I don't know how much more ER work could help with this, but something more traditionally family/internal med or pediatrics could help.

Mission fit is very important for success. Just having solid statistics is not enough. What do you think is calling you to be a physician, and what do you see yourself doing routinely 10 years from now?
(Becoming a Student Doctor might help you gain more gravitas that your advisor might think you lack. See signature.)
“didn't the advisor train you up on this?” Not exactly sure what you mean by this but the pre-med mentoring service is independent of the advisor I meet.
I work a 12 hr shift every week as an EMT and did extra hours over winter break, so yes that is right.
Atm, I have a pretty good mission fit with some engineering focused schools, and generally more research oriented schools, but I agree I need to work on my writing. Would you say my school list is realistic, if I dropped the T20s?
I'm working on getting shadowing in more traditional primary care areas, but I can't say for sure if I will get it at this point...

“didn't the advisor train you up on this?” Not exactly sure what you mean by this but the pre-med mentoring service is independent of the advisor I meet.
I work a 12 hr shift every week as an EMT and did extra hours over winter break, so yes that is right.
Atm, I have a pretty good mission fit with some engineering focused schools, and generally more research oriented schools, but I agree I need to work on my writing. Would you say my school list is realistic, if I dropped the T20s?
Okay... just wondering if the prehealth advisor organizes the mentoring or if it's a prehealth club organizing the mentoring.

I think you may want to drop some brand-name schools which may not see your engineering background as valuable, especially if you want to leverage that background.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay... just wondering if the prehealth advisor organizes the mentoring or if it's a prehealth club organizing the mentoring.

I think you may want to drop some brand-name schools which may not see your engineering background as valuable, especially if you want to leverage that background.
Ok, what would count as brand-name? Just so I get an idea since to me brand-name means T20, so just curious what schools you were suggesting I drop.

Nothing you describe really show me you could be a good fit totally out of state unless you find a common mission fit. I would consider dropping those out of your region such as
Colorado
St. Louis
Creighton
FIU
EVMS
WMU
Loyola
MCW

Some of the schools that have biomedical engineering programs might be good fits but I don't know your research interests.

Last edited: