MD WAMC/School List : (3.96, 522) ORM CA Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

solarflare1230

Reaction score
  1. cGPA: 3.96, sGPA: 3.94
  2. MCAT (1 attempt): 522 (130/130/131/131)
  3. California Resident
  4. ORM Male
  5. Went to T50 public university in California, graduated in the summer of 2023
  6. Clinical Experience: 1200+ hours
    1. [800 hours, ongoing] - Paid: Scribing at an urgent care
    2. [110 hours] - Volunteer: Emergency Department volunteer
    3. [250 hours] - Volunteer: Free Clinic Intern, performed community outreach for underserved populations and MA duties
    4. [60 hours, ongoing] - Volunteer: EMRAP program intern (will list this as volunteer because feel like I do more community service than research here, such as assist in trauma intakes etc)
  7. Research: 500+ hours - LoR from both PI’s
    1. [140 hours, ongoing] Clinical research in emergency department (different from EMRAP)
      1. 1 poster, 1 publication 2nd author IN REVIEW (do I list this?)
    2. [360 hours] Wet lab research during undergrad - no productivity
  8. Non-Clinical Volunteering: 470+ hours
    1. [120 hours] Hospital Desk Volunteer
    2. [210 hours, ongoing] Habitat for Humanity - built furniture and houses for underserved people in my community
    3. [140 hours, ongoing] Food Bank
  9. Shadowing Experiences: 120 hours
    1. [40 hours] Cardiology
    2. [40 hours] Ophthalmology
    3. [40 hours] Internal Medicine
  10. Other experiences
    1. [60 hours, ongoing] Volunteer tutor for a child facing homelessness

I have not taken the CASPER yet but I plan to do so soon. Here is my preliminary school list. I need help with refining it and adding schools that would fit me better. Thank you!!!

School List:

California University of Science and Medicine
Charles R Drew
Kaiser Permanente
Keck School of Medicine
Stanford
UC Davis (strong Sac ties, live in Central Valley)
UC Irvine
UCLA
UC Riverside
UCSD
UCSF

Ohio State
University of Colorado
Case Western
Emory
University of Minnesota
Albert Einstein
Brown Alpert
University of Rochester
Boston Chobanian
University of Virginia
USF Morsani
Dartmouth Geisel
Wake Forest
Tufts
Jefferson
University of Illinois
Hofstra
Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth
Hackensack
Wayne State
Virginia Tech
Drexel
Creighton
New York Medical College
Arizona Pheonix
Albany
Eastern Virginia
Loyola

Members don't see this ad.

Remove Charles Drew since they mainly admit applicants from URM communities. Also remove UC Riverside unless you are from that region. Wake Forest, Drexel, Albany, Virginia Commonwealth and Eastern Virginia will probably "yield protect" with your stats. You could add these schools:
Washington University (in St. Louis-almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
Vanderbilt
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
Northwestern
U Chicago
Harvard

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Remove Charles Drew since they mainly admit applicants from URM communities. Also remove UC Riverside unless you are from that region. Wake Forest, Drexel, Albany, Virginia Commonwealth and Eastern Virginia will probably "yield protect" with your stats. You could add these schools:
Washington University (in St. Louis-almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
Vanderbilt
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
Northwestern
U Chicago
Harvard
wouldn’t that be too top heavy for me? The other commenter stated he doesn’t think I have good mission fit

Do you have any PREview scores?

You cover the bases but I don't see anything that points to a mission fit to make me want to interview you. What is your purpose as a physician?
no I have not taken an PREview exams yet, is this something you recommend?

Do you have any PREview scores?

You cover the bases but I don't see anything that points to a mission fit to make me want to interview you. What is your purpose as a physician?
in my writing I talk about how my work with the underserved and my upbringing in a very underserved community shaped my desire to work as a physician in my community to help bridge the gap in healthcare access

wouldn’t that be too top heavy for me? The other commenter stated he doesn’t think I have good mission fit
Not too top heavy, take @Faha list as your working list and explore schools to see if they fit what you are looking for.

Reactions: 1 users
no I have not taken an PREview exams yet, is this something you recommend?
UC Davis requires PREview. Check the list.

You could add UMass; they like high stat applicants from OOS.

Reactions: 1 users
Not too top heavy, take @Faha list as your working list and explore schools to see if they fit what you are looking for.
I’ve been told my research is too low for T20s. Any advice? My pub is in review but most likely won’t be accepted before submitting primaries

I’ve been told my research is too low for T20s. Any advice? My pub is in review but most likely won’t be accepted before submitting primaries
IMO Research doesn't carry as much value as you think. You seem to know what clinical research is all about. The issue is more whether you are the type that is self-motivated to study, and research isn't always a good proxy for that.

Reactions: 1 user
IMO Research doesn't carry as much value as you think. You seem to know what clinical research is all about. The issue is more whether you are the type that is self-motivated to study, and research isn't always a good proxy for that.
This is great information, thank you so much!

So would you agree with @Faha recommendations? Wasn’t planning on applying to so many top schools but now im not so sure

This is great information, thank you so much!

So would you agree with @Faha recommendations? Wasn’t planning on applying to so many top schools but now im not so sure
I don't see any red flags (sure, why not!), but I am missing reasons why a top brand school would share an invite with you. Everyone should want to work with underserved patients, so you have to have something more compelling.

I don't see any red flags (sure, why not!), but I am missing reasons why a top brand school would share an invite with you. Everyone should want to work with underserved patients, so you have to have something more compelling.
Can you give me an example of what you mean? I am more specific in my PS and writing. What do you mean by having something more compelling?

Can you give me an example of what you mean? I am more specific in my PS and writing. What do you mean by having something more compelling?
I wish I could give you more of an example: it's just the impression I get from what you disclosed. If you gave more details, maybe I could see what you are presenting as your mission fit or a compelling reason to meet you at an interview. What activities best show me you would be a student I'd want to meet?