WAMC/School List, 3.97/515/CA ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subradio

Reaction score
Thank you everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You describe yourself as cookie-cutter, so give me your argument that you're med school material. What is your mission fit?

I'm not worried that you are "cookie cutter," because cookie cutter means you have done the minimum/average things that most college students do. You haven't even really said you did regular club activities (No formal leadership, athletics, club positions, teaching, or social justice/advocacy.) Cookie cutter applicants are not PBKs, even in the med school pool, but to "stand out," you have to show some passion in something. You don't even mention hobbies.

We like to know what's cool about you. What makes you an interesting person to get to know? Why should my faculty want you as a student mentee and look forward to scheduled meetings with you? How will your undergrad professors and staff members remember you (anticipating what they will say in your LOEs)?

Reactions: 1 user
You describe yourself as cookie-cutter, so give me your argument that you're med school material. What is your mission fit?

I'm not worried that you are "cookie cutter," because cookie cutter means you have done the minimum/average things that most college students do. You haven't even really said you did regular club activities (No formal leadership, athletics, club positions, teaching, or social justice/advocacy.) Cookie cutter applicants are not PBKs, even in the med school pool, but to "stand out," you have to show some passion in something. You don't even mention hobbies.

We like to know what's cool about you. What makes you an interesting person to get to know? Why should my faculty want you as a student mentee and look forward to scheduled meetings with you? How will your undergrad professors and staff members remember you (anticipating what they will say in your LOEs)?
Fixed/added hobbies to my OP... I can't believe I forgot hobbies are extracurriculars 🤦‍♀️

I apologize if my activity descriptions were really dry! I sought out small labs/programs to join for each of them, and I was usually the only undergrad or volunteer in each position at first. I've done each activity long term for 1-2+ years, and I ended up informally training/recruiting people and trying my best to build a tight-knit atmosphere.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
USC Keck, UC Davis (Are you NorCal? Or ties to NorCal?), UCI, UCLA, UCSF, UCSD, CUSM, Kaiser SOM, TCU, UTMB (TMDSAS?), EVMS, Virginia Commonwealth, Wake Forest, Emory, Creighton, Quinnipiac, Saint Louis University, Stony Brook, Thomas Jefferson, Rosalind Franklin, Ohio State, Dartmouth, Hackensack, Belmont-Frist, Temple, Medical College of Wisconsin, NYMC, OUWB, Penn State, Case Western, University of Cincinnati, University of Colorado, University of Vermont, University of Illinois (high OOS Tuition!!!), University of Massachusetts-Chan, University of Rochester, Western Michigan, Nova Southeastern.

You have a good school list going!

I’ll defer to someone else’s expertise about the nature of your non clinical volunteering, but other schools that could theoretically add include: Rush, Loyola, Georgetown, George Washington, Tulane, Drexel, Tufts, and Reno (if you live in an applicable county AND fit their mission).

Reactions: 1 users
USC Keck, UC Davis (Are you NorCal? Or ties to NorCal?), UCI, UCLA, UCSF, UCSD, CUSM, Kaiser SOM, TCU, UTMB (TMDSAS?), EVMS, Virginia Commonwealth, Wake Forest, Emory, Creighton, Quinnipiac, Saint Louis University, Stony Brook, Thomas Jefferson, Rosalind Franklin, Ohio State, Dartmouth, Hackensack, Belmont-Frist, Temple, Medical College of Wisconsin, NYMC, OUWB, Penn State, Case Western, University of Cincinnati, University of Colorado, University of Vermont, University of Illinois (high OOS Tuition!!!), University of Massachusetts-Chan, University of Rochester, Western Michigan, Nova Southeastern.

You have a good school list going!

I’ll defer to someone else’s expertise about the nature of your non clinical volunteering, but other schools that could theoretically add include: Rush, Loyola, Georgetown, George Washington, Tulane, Drexel, Tufts, and Reno (if you live in an applicable county AND fit their mission).
No ties to NorCal for UCD, or Inland Empire for Riverside fwiw. Fixed UTMB. Thank you for your suggestions!

Do not bother with the TMDSAS schools since they admit few non residents. Stony Brook admits few non residents with no connection to the state.
You could add these schools:
Tufts
Albany
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Drexel
George Washington
Alice Walton (when it opens)

Reactions: 1 users