WAMC/School List 4.0 sGPA, 4.0 cGPA 518 MCAT With Poor ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cardthrower12

Reaction score
cGPA and sGPA: 4.0, 4.0
MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 518 (130/130/130/128)
Ethnicity and/or race: ORM (Asian male)
Undergraduate institution or category: State school
Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): This is where I'm severely lacking. ~50 hrs of clinical activities through premed organizations, 50 hrs of attending Grand Rounds lectures (not sure if this counts as clinical)
Research experience and productivity: 3600 hours bench research in 1 lab, 2 publications (middle author for one, 2nd author for another), 7 posters
Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 70 hours (20 GI, 30 cardiology, 20 dermatology)
Non-clinical volunteering: (350 total) 125 hrs repairing bikes/mentoring in underserved communities. 75 hrs organizing/running environmental (beach, campus) cleanups, 100 hrs volunteering as a crisis counselor, 50 hrs miscellaneous volunteering as a part of pre-health orgs
Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc) Leadership position in 2 orgs: 1 standard pre-med org, the other an environmentalism club I helped found + obtain funding for
Relevant honors or awards: 2 research awards, 1 research grant, 1 grant to fund the environmentalism org. mentioned above
Anything else not listed you think might be important: I graduated this spring and am taking a gap year at the NIH as a post-bac fellow, and will be volunteering in the hospital there as well. The activities above are from my 3 years in undergrad: my first year was completely online due to COVID, so getting involved was pretty tough, but I was still much less involved than I should've been after that. I recognize that future hours don't count for nearly as much, but I'm considering putting down projected research hours for next year because it'd be pretty unlikely that anyone would duck out of a full year post-bac program that they've been accepted to.

I'm looking for more research-oriented programs (mix of MSTP and non-MSTP) but my worry is that I focused too much on research and not enough on clinical, though my experiences with the healthcare field in high school and college have convinced me that I want a position that will allow me to both work in academia AND see patients. I'd like to stay in the Midwest for family, but recognize that I need more schools that I should add to increase my odds of an acceptance - I'm not sure which ones, though.

Schools list:
Northwestern
UChicago MSTP
University of Illinois COM MSTP
WashU MSTP
CCLCM (5 year program @ Cleveland Clinic)
UMich MSTP
Stritch School of Medicine (Loyola)
Ohio State University MSTP
UMKC MSTP
Indiana University MSTP

Members don't see this ad.

It was a combination of physician lectures and hands-on training (ie suturing practice, learning CPR, etc)