WAMC + School List (4.00/515 MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Username5698

Reaction score
I would really appreciate some advice on my school list! I was born in Illinois, but I have been living in Toronto since I was 1. I think I would be considered OOS for all schools, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Major: Neuroscience at Mcgill (will be going to fourth year)

ORM (I think?) - female, South Asian

Stats:
  • GPA: 4.00
  • MCAT: 515 (127/128/130/130)
Activities:
  • Employment at School Press for entire undergrad (2000 hours)
  • Volunteering at local mosque (1000 hours)
  • Hospital Volunteering - Clinical (300 hours)
  • Mentor for first year Biology Course (50 hours)
  • Cricket Vice-Captain for local sports competition (300 hours)
  • Co-Captain of regional team to raise funds for a charity (300 hours)
  • Making cards for senior homes during COVID (50 hours)
  • Dean's Honour List (all 3 years) and Faculty of Science Scholarship
  • Research (2 projects) 350 hours+250 hours (*I will be a co-author for one of these)
  • Shadowing (50 hours) - family physician and neurosurgeon
School List:
  • Medical College of Wisconsin
  • University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
  • Drexel University College of Medicine
  • George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
  • Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the University at Buffalo
  • Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
  • Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
  • Robert Larner, M.D., College of Medicine at the University of Vermont
  • University of Illinois College of Medicine
  • West Virginia University School of Medicine
  • Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
  • Rutgers, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
  • Wayne State University School of Medicine
  • SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University College of Medicine
  • University of Connecticut School of Medicine
  • Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
  • Tufts University School of Medicine
  • Albert Einstein College of Medicine
  • Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
  • University of Massachusetts T.H. Chan School of Medicine
  • The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
  • University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
  • University of Michigan Medical School
  • University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
  • Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
  • Stanford University School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Are you applying to any Ontario medical schools at all? Why are you thinking about going to the US?
I'm applying to medical schools in Canada and the US. It's just that Canadian medical schools are really competitive and hard to get into, so I thought it would be good to apply to US medical schools as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to medical schools in Canada and the US. It's just that Canadian medical schools are really competitive and hard to get into, so I thought it would be good to apply to US medical schools as well.
Okay. Getting into US schools is not that easy for Canadians, so hopefully we can point you to the MSAR that should note which US schools do accept Canadian applicants. As long as you do really well on MMI's and SJT's, you are probably in good shape for Canadian programs (relatively speaking).

Also the cost difference deserves a lot of research, especially since you would have to get help paying for American med school tuition.

Okay. Getting into US schools is not that easy for Canadians, so hopefully we can point you to the MSAR that should note which US schools do accept Canadian applicants. As long as you do really well on MMI's and SJT's, you are probably in good shape for Canadian programs (relatively speaking).

Also the cost difference deserves a lot of research, especially since you would have to get help paying for American med school tuition.
I was born in the US, so I'm also a US citizen. Doesn't that mean that I will be considered an OOS applicant for all US medical schools?

I was born in the US, so I'm also a US citizen. Doesn't that mean that I will be considered an OOS applicant for all US medical schools?
You will be considered a US Citizen (not international) which expands your options. You will not really have a home state, so you will kind of be classified as "out of state" everywhere. Pick your schools based on where you would like to live and leave off the ones that overwhelmingly favor in-state applicants (like Minnesota, Oregon, Washington, the Dakotas, to name a few).

Oh! That definitely helps with applying to US schools. If you are a dual citizen with Canadian citizenship, that obviously could leave your Canadian options open too.

You also should really get a sense of mission fit and your expectations of what you want from a medical school (in the US). Do you still have family in Illinois? How important is your Muslim identity when it comes to making a decision to attend medical school or manage the debt incurred (assuming from your mosque volunteering)?

I'll let the other experts come up with a list for you. Mission fit and finding schools that have a strong support system for you will be important.

Good luck on Casper and PREview. (You may have to take two Casper exams: one for US and the other for Canada.)

You have several state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with no connection to the state. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Tufts
UMass
Brown
Dartmouth
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Einstein
Rochester
Hackensack
Drexel