WAMC School List Advice / Canadian / GPA 3.97 MCAT 523

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amloud21

Reaction score
Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 80 hours
  • 80 hours, 3 specialties (Incl. Primary care)
If you are still working with the dermatologist, 20 hours more would make it a nice even 100, but you are above the threshold right now so up to you.
Non-clinical volunteering: 410 hours
  • 250 hours over 2 years (ongoing) - Crisis text-line - Also held a management position here, I managed around 25+ other volunteers
  • 100 hours over 1 year - Taught children with developmental disorders how to swim - I also managed 50+ instructors and organised sessions
  • 60 hours over 6 months (ongoing) - Big Brothers and Sisters youth mentoring
My weakest area is probably non-clinical volunteering and then mid academic LORs.
Do I have sufficient non-clinical volunteering? If not, what type of volunteering + how many hours do I need?
Considering how much of a rockstar you are in all other spheres, I'd say you are ok without needing to beef it up. Ideally you want to diversify your volunteering and do a non-teaching kind of role that is in service to those other than yourself, but again with your sports, research/productivity, and startup work imo you are fine.

Last edited:
What is your timeline for Casper and PREview? You will likely have to take Casper twice (Canadian and US tests are different), and I'm not sure about Duet and Snapshot for you.

You may need a bit more on community service/ nonclinical volunteering, especially in-person. 150 is a threshold to avoid getting screened out, but you should aim higher. The text line work is usually not face to face so it helps a little. Get out of your comfort zone more.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What is your timeline for Casper and PREview? You will likely have to take Casper twice (Canadian and US tests are different), and I'm not sure about Duet and Snapshot for you.

You may need a bit more on community service/ nonclinical volunteering, especially in-person. 150 is a threshold to avoid getting screened out, but you should aim higher. The text line work is usually not face to face so it helps a little. Get out of your comfort zone more.
March for PREview, April for US Casper, July for CAN Casper. I'll have to take Duet and Snapshot for UIC and U Colorado.

Do you mean more hours + impact in my current roles (e.g., trying to take on a greater role in the organization) or adding another volunteering position? Also how many more hours/what kind of experience is needed?

Thanks for the help

Being an Olympian is really cool. Modeling is not a concern, but you probably will get mixed responses on it. (I think it's okay.)

I think you need another experience to properly show service orientation where you are in a position of humility rather than as an expert (teaching swimming or tutoring). Serving people not like you (not fundraising) in alleviating their distress is lacking to me. Maybe more BBBS mentoring, but something else with food banks, shelter work, job or tax preparation, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation will fit.

Being an Olympian is really cool. Modeling is not a concern, but you probably will get mixed responses on it. (I think it's okay.)

I think you need another experience to properly show service orientation where you are in a position of humility rather than as an expert (teaching swimming or tutoring). Serving people not like you (not fundraising) in alleviating their distress is lacking to me. Maybe more BBBS mentoring, but something else with food banks, shelter work, job or tax preparation, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation will fit.
Sorry, my sports section may have been misleading. I compete in an Olympic sport, I am not an Olympian but have competed at international events for my country (just not the Olympics).

I will take a look at some other volunteer opportunities outside of my comfort zone, probably tax prep. or housing rehabilitation.

Thank you for the advice.

Reactions: 1 user