WAMC/School List: c3.73, s3.66, 514, ORM, EC/service heavy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soupkitchens

Reaction score
  1. c3.73, s3.66
  2. 514: cp 129 cars 128 bb 127 ps 130, 88th percentile
  3. CA
  4. White
  5. UCSD (went to cal poly pomona for first two years of undergrad)
  6. Volunteer Clinical: CCE, roughly 275 hours (MME). Rotating through a new department every three months in a hospital doing CNA level tasks, helping nurses with bedside tasks. Got many stories from this
  7. Paid Clinical: Medical Assistant, 1280 hours (began after graduating, took a gap year to do this + mcat) clinical aspects were mostly vitals and rooming, some shots and blood draws. Also - a lot of paperwork/admin work. Built relationships with patients, worked closely with doctor (very small clinic with patients seen on a regular basis for years)
  8. Only research was a homelessness program I participated in, did quantitative research to assess the effectiveness of the program + find ways to improve it (78 hours). Also did a poster presentation on cancer cell autophagy at a "Genentech biosymposium" at the end of a "bridge to biosciences" course sequence via concurrent enrollment in community college during high school.
  9. Shadowed rheumatologist for 22 hours from August 2023 through May 2023 (while working as MA). Shadowed lead psychiatrist 48 hours from June 2022 through August 2022 in the hospital. Participated in online shadowing through UT Southwestern for 48 hours from January 2021 through June 2022.
  10. Food pantry volunteer for 90 hours. Participated on and off since middle school in homelessness program in SF with my father, listing as 1 hour.
  11. Other extracurricular activities: listing hobbies: skateboarding since 7 y/o, book club starting in covid. Worked at UCSD a resident advisor for a year (410 hours). Listed working at a restaurant during summers as a host (384 hours). Listed also a paid position at UCSD where I helped with campus covid response (vaccination centers, testing centers, processing covid samples)(150 hours). Helped found and then later became co-president of a student organization targeting transfer students (MME, 400 hours). 3 years in student org Global Medical Brigades, eventually becoming Chair of Donations (club spends year training/studying for a trip in summer to communities around the world) (MME, 500 hours)
  12. Exemplary Student Employee of the Year: Acknowledging an outstanding student employee - UCSD June 2022 / **** Undergraduate Excellence Award: Acknowledging superior academic achievement and dedication to advancing the professional chemistry community - UCSD June 2021 / Dr. ** Scholarship: Acknowledging two prospective chemistry majors with an exceptional essay about their journey in chemistry, spoke at staff lunch with award - CPP May 2020 / *** Scholarship Award: Acknowledging an outstanding chemistry student with an exceptional essay about their journey in chemistry - CPP May 2020 / College of Science Scholarship: Acknowledging an outstanding science student - CPP May 2019
  13. LORS: rheumatologist i worked under, biochem prof, genetics prof, homelessness prof, RA supervisor

Looking for WAMC and help with a school list - would prefer service focused schools. Applying to California schools for sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest these schools with your stats:
UCSD
UCSF
UCLA
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
Kaiser
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Miami
USF Morsani
Tulane
TCU
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts

Reactions: 1 user
Please tell me why you consider your homelessness project "research". What was the issue, and what was your role? Your middle school experience volunteering with your father should not be listed in W/A.

My issue if you want to go to service-oriented schools: as described, I don't think you have enough hours or specific experiences with impact to get our attention, except for that homelessness project... but I'm not sure that's enough without more details. The bulk proportion of your hours is clinical, and the number of service hours is not comparable to the clinical hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please tell me why you consider your homelessness project "research". What was the issue, and what was your role? Your middle school experience volunteering with your father should not be listed in W/A.

My issue if you want to go to service-oriented schools: as described, I don't think you have enough hours or specific experiences with impact to get our attention, except for that homelessness project... but I'm not sure that's enough without more details. The bulk proportion of your hours is clinical, and the number of service hours is not comparable to the clinical hours.
Hi! Thanks for the reply. Maybe I should add more hours into my post here. First question: I was told once that research just needs to be some sort of hypothesis testing? I learned how to use the R programming language and helped analyze data + put together a presentation, also did fieldwork interviews w homeless. The experience with my father began in middle school but I've done it throughout my life. There was an entry I didn't include in my WA that maybe I should replace one entry with:

Miscellaneous Volunteering with Global Medical Brigades
  • First Presbyterian Church Clinic - Assisted the on-site doctor to take homeless patient’s vitals and blood glucose levels, and helped create medical records for them. ~20 hours
  • First Saturdays: Cleaned trash in public parks and distributed free clothes and food. ~16 hours
  • Refugee Health Alliance: Traveled with Global Medical Brigade members to Tijuana Refugee Centers and assisted with makeshift pharmacies and clinics. ~25 hours

Hi! Thanks for the reply. Maybe I should add more hours into my post here. First question: I was told once that research just needs to be some sort of hypothesis testing? I learned how to use the R programming language and helped analyze data + put together a presentation, also did fieldwork interviews w homeless. The experience with my father began in middle school but I've done it throughout my life. There was an entry I didn't include in my WA that maybe I should replace one entry with:

• First Presbyterian Church Clinic - Assisted the on-site doctor to take homeless patient’s vitals and blood glucose levels, and helped create medical records for them. ~20 hours
  • First Saturdays: Cleaned trash in public parks and distributed free clothes and food. ~16 hours
  • Refugee Health Alliance: Traveled with Global Medical Brigade members to Tijuana Refugee Centers and assisted with makeshift pharmacies and clinics. ~25 hours
just added some hours counts

I suggest these schools with your stats:
UCSD
UCSF
UCLA
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
Kaiser
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Miami
USF Morsani
Tulane
TCU
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
basically no shot at UCR if I'm not from riverside huh, like not even worth applying/not worth the school slot?

Please clarify: so your GMB work is actually 60 hours divided as described above?

Opinion: If you created medical records, would the homeless healthcare experience be clinical? Even so, 20 hours isn't a lot...

Please clarify: so your GMB work is actually 60 hours divided as described above?

Opinion: If you created medical records, would the homeless healthcare experience be clinical? Even so, 20 hours isn't a lot...
Apologies for the confusion, with GMB I participated in optional volunteer opportunities, but these hours are not included in the GMB hours/is separate from what we did as GMB (if that makes sense)

1. c3.73, s3.66
  2. 514: cp 129 cars 128 bb 127 ps 130, 88th percentile
  3. CA
  4. White
  5. UCSD biochem (went to cal poly pomona for first two years of undergrad)
  6. Volunteer Clinical: CCE, roughly 275 hours (MME). Rotating through a new department every three months in a hospital doing CNA level tasks, helping nurses with bedside tasks. Got many stories from this
  7. Paid Clinical: Medical Assistant, 1280 hours (began after graduating, took a gap year to do this + mcat) clinical aspects were mostly vitals and rooming, some shots and blood draws. Also - a lot of paperwork/admin work. Built relationships with patients, worked closely with doctor (very small clinic with patients seen on a regular basis for years)
  8. Only research was a homelessness program I participated in, did quantitative research to assess the effectiveness of the program + find ways to improve it (78 hours). Also did a poster presentation on cancer cell autophagy at a "Genentech biosymposium" at the end of a "bridge to biosciences" course sequence via concurrent enrollment in community college during high school.
  9. Shadowed rheumatologist for 22 hours from August 2023 through May 2023 (while working as MA). Shadowed lead psychiatrist 48 hours from June 2022 through August 2022 in the hospital. Participated in online shadowing through UT Southwestern for 48 hours from January 2021 through June 2022.
  10. Food pantry volunteer for 90 hours. Participated on and off since middle school in homelessness program in SF with my father, listing as 1 hour.
  11. Other extracurricular activities: listing hobbies: skateboarding since 7 y/o, book club starting in covid. Worked at UCSD as a resident advisor for a year (410 hours). Listed working at a restaurant during summers as a host (384 hours). Listed also a paid position at UCSD where I helped with campus covid response (vaccination centers, testing centers, processing covid samples)(150 hours). Helped found and then later became co-president of a student organization targeting transfer students (MME, 400 hours). 3 years in student org Global Medical Brigades, eventually becoming Chair of Donations (club spends year training/studying for a trip in summer to communities around the world) (MME, 500 hours)
  12. Exemplary Student Employee of the Year: Acknowledging an outstanding student employee - UCSD June 2022 / **** Undergraduate Excellence Award: Acknowledging superior academic achievement and dedication to advancing the professional chemistry community - UCSD June 2021 / Dr. ** Scholarship: Acknowledging two prospective chemistry majors with an exceptional essay about their journey in chemistry, spoke at staff lunch with award - CPP May 2020 / *** Scholarship Award: Acknowledging an outstanding chemistry student with an exceptional essay about their journey in chemistry - CPP May 2020 / College of Science Scholarship: Acknowledging an outstanding science student - CPP May 2019
  13. LORS: rheumatologist i worked under, biochem prof, genetics prof, homelessness prof, RA supervisor
School list:
Stanford, UCSF, Kaiser
UCLA, UCSD, UMich, UCI, NYU, Emory
Einstein, Ohio State, USC, Dartmouth, Rochester, Hofstra, UCD
Wayne, CUSN, TCU, Toledo, Quinnipac, Wake Forest, USF, SUNY, Indiana, Maryland, Miami
Rush, Tulane, George Washington, Loyola

Looking for WAMC

Last edited:
This is a more realistic list:

UCSD
UCI
UCD
CUSM
Colorado
Einstein
Rochester
Emory
Dartmouth
Vermont
Wake
NYMC
Albany
Nova MD
VCU
EVMS
George Washington
Georgetown
Miami
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Rosalind Franklin
Hackensack
Tufts

Reactions: 1 user
School list:
Stanford, UCSF, Kaiser
UCLA, UCSD, UMich, UCI, NYU, Emory
Einstein, Ohio State, USC, Dartmouth, Rochester, Hofstra, UCD
Wayne, CUSN, TCU, Toledo, Quinnipac, Wake Forest, USF, SUNY, Indiana, Maryland, Miami
Rush, Tulane, George Washington, Loyola

Looking for WAMC
I have merged your threads. Faha had already provided you a list, please do not make duplicate posts in the future.