WAMC/School list help 2.9 -> 3.9 GPA 516 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HiroshiFan

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just wanted some input on the current state of my app. I have a slightly different college path than most, I am kinda non-trad? I had started college as an engineering major but my dad lost his job, so I had to take a gap year and a half to work full time to pay off a semester of college before starting at another school as a bio major. This is a long post so bear with me.

Major: Biology

GPA

-Original college I went to I was on academic probation after the first semester because I missed a final and failed a class (1.9 GPA). Classes consisted of gen eds and the like for an engineering major. I left the school with a 2.9 cGPA after spending 3 semesters there.

-Transferred to another school after a gap year and a half, cGPA 3.97 sGPA 3.94, graduating in the spring GPA will stay the same. Will have spent 3 years at this college upon graduation.

-Took all of my science pre reqs at the new school, Bio 1-2, gen chem 1-2, ochem 1-2, biochem, and labs. I don't know how much my GPA at my old institution will be looked down upon because they were Freshman level gen eds and introductory engineering courses and I have clearly shown I can handle harder science courses.

MCAT
CP: 130 CARS: 126 BB: 130 PS: 130
Tested 8/26

ECs
-Currently on the exec board of the premed club and ACS club on campus and am very active with them
-Apart of Alpha Sigma Nu Jesuit honor society
-Tutor at campus library
-TA for Organic Chemistry Lab
-1 Semester historical research internship through the school, presented findings to history dept.

Research
-500 hours, Been performing clinical research at well known academic hospital under a well known PI for more than a year, planning to continue research until medical school. Currently going to have 3 publications (two second author pubs), potential for more. PI told me they will write me a very good LOR.

Experience
-2k+ hours ,have been working as a CNA on an inpatient floor for 3+ years. Was full time when COVID occurred, since going back to school have been picking up shifts as needed.

Volunteering
-Need volunteering hours, weakest part of my application. Will be accumulating throughout the next year hoping to have 150-200ish hours.
-Class that I am in currently requires volunteering every week. (I am not sure if this counts towards volunteer hours) but will have ~50 hours after the semester finishes. Actively looking for non-clinical volunteering.

Shadowing
- 100+ hours, have shadowed mainly surgeons, anesthesia a couple of times.

Also a note that I am ORM.

I plan to apply in the upcoming cycle, I think I have a pretty solid app so far (except for the volunteering hours of course), but I am optimistic. I haven't really started making a school list and I don't know how adcoms will interpret my GPA. Just looking for some general input/feedback on the current state of my application.

Current School List:
Indiana
Georgetown
Maryland
Miami
Central Florida
Case
Emory
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Dartmouth
UCLA
Rutgers
Loyola
Penn State
Stanford

This list is tentative, may apply to a few reach schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where is your state of residence ? What are your cGPA and sGPA for all your undergraduate courses ?
OH
cGPA = 3.5 if I maintain my grades these last 2 semesters it will be a 3.6 upon graduation
sGPA = 3.67, as above it is projected to be 3.73 upon graduation

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Toledo
NEOCOM
Wright State
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Case Western
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Western Michigan