WAMC/School List Help 3.67 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA, 519 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

huiyiung

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am applying to MD programs this upcoming cycle, and I would like some advice on my school list. I am deeply passionate about community care and envision myself working in community settings, and using my experiences to inform research and public health policy.

Biographical: CA resident Asian Female, FAP recipient (poverty level income), financially independent throughout undergrad
Stats: 3.67 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA (4.0 Post-bacc GPA, undergrad upward trend), 519 MCAT, UCLA Gender Studies Major, Asian American Studies Minor (2019 graduate)
Activities: Director of historical AAPI student organization, student board member for campus psychological services, mental health mentor, free mobile health clinic volunteer, COVID strike team CNA, campus resource center facilitator, spine surgery clinic scribe, community hotline responder, emergency department volunteer, 130 hours of shadowing with 9+ specialties, UCLA undergraduate research fellow (social sciences research, not published but did poster presentation), community caregiver for friends and mutual aid, multiple community engagement experiences (LA tenants union, organizer, congressional intern, community fridge burrito distribution during the pandemic, etc.), multiple awards for writing and community related activities
Personal statement: I discuss caring for my grandmother who recently passed from Stage 4 lung cancer and my experience caregiving for her for years, sparking my interest in medicine, and later delineate 3 separate interactions with people experiencing medical near-death emergencies on the streets (unhoused, elderly, POC) and emphasize my interest in public health and my visions for how care can extend beyond hospital walls.
LORs: 5 strong letters, 3 from science professors (received above 100% in the courses I took with them), 1 from a community organizing mentor who is a Harvard graduate lawyer (3 pages long), 1 from a Gender Studies professor and mentor (3 pages long)

Currently, I have 55 Allopathic medical schools on my list. I would like to cut this down to 40, but I need help. I am so appreciative to anyone who reads this and would be willing to take the time to provide guidance.

Current list:

University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine
Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California
University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine
Kaiser Permanente School of Medicine
University of California, San Diego School of Medicine
University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine
University of California, Davis, School of Medicine
University of California, Riverside School of Medicine
California University of Science and Medicine-School of Medicine
Charles R Drew University of Medicine and Science
Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons
Yale School of Medicine
University of Chicago Division of the Biological Sciences The Pritzker School of Medicine
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Mayo Clinic School of Medicine
Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine
Duke University School of Medicine
Stanford University School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Boston University School of Medicine
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
Tufts University School of Medicine
NYU Long Island School of Medicine
Stony Brook University School of Medicine
University of Massachusetts Medical School
Emory University School of Medicine
New York Medical College
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
University of Colorado School of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Georgetown University School of Medicine
University of Maryland School of Medicine
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
State University of New York Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine
Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
University of Illinois College of Medicine
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Drexel University College of Medicine
University of Vermont College of Medicine
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Albany Medical College
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How many hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact do you have ( ED volunteer, mobile health clinic, scribing)?

How many hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact do you have ( ED volunteer, mobile health clinic, scribing)?
Hello! I have 1210 listed hours of total patient contact listed. This does not include community caregiving for my friends/family, “street” interventions, mental health mentoring etc.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You have several state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with no connection to the state. Also, your GPA is below the 10th percentile for some of the schools on your list. Charles Drew mainly admits applicants from URM communities.
I suggest these schools from your list:
University of California, Riverside School of Medicine (only if you are from that region)
Yale School of Medicine
University of Chicago Division of the Biological Sciences The Pritzker School of Medicine
New York Medical College
Albany Medical College

You have several state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with no connection to the state. Also, your GPA is below the 10th percentile for some of the schools on your list. Charles Drew mainly admits applicants from URM communities.
I suggest these schools from your list:
University of California, Riverside School of Medicine (only if you are from that region)
Yale School of Medicine
New York Medical College
Albany Medical College
Thank you so much! This is incredibly helpful 🙂.

Research for AAPI organizations like APAMSA on your list and reach out to current student officers if you have not already done so. Keep in mind that location is important for the California medical schools, so if you have a history working with the community in a specific region of the state, make sure you highlight this on their school-specific essays. (Looking at Riverside if you grew up around the Inland Empire, Davis if you are from the surrounding counties. Granted, I would still apply to them anyway, but go in with your eyes open.)

I also emphasize Rush on this list given the nature of community activism. Frankly, you have an extremely strong application, though stay focused on why patient care is important for taking the next step. Consider NHSC (maybe HPSP) to help you further with costs of attending medical school if you are eligible.

Pay close attention to community health professors who may serve as your mentors at the schools on your list; you will likely have more experience with community organizing than the faculty, and that may be a bit intimidating. I also will state the obvious to me that AAPI female faculty are very underrepresented in academic leadership. Let the potential mentors recruit you as you interview and make your decision. (You may already have some mentors from your activities so leverage their insights with your list as well.)

Reactions: 1 user
Research for AAPI organizations like APAMSA on your list and reach out to current student officers if you have not already done so. Keep in mind that location is important for the California medical schools, so if you have a history working with the community in a specific region of the state, make sure you highlight this on their school-specific essays. (Looking at Riverside if you grew up around the Inland Empire, Davis if you are from the surrounding counties. Granted, I would still apply to them anyway, but go in with your eyes open.)

I also emphasize Rush on this list given the nature of community activism. Frankly, you have an extremely strong application, though stay focused on why patient care is important for taking the next step. Consider NHSC (maybe HPSP) to help you further with costs of attending medical school if you are eligible.

Pay close attention to community health professors who may serve as your mentors at the schools on your list; you will likely have more experience with community organizing than the faculty, and that may be a bit intimidating. I also will state the obvious to me that AAPI female faculty are very underrepresented in academic leadership. Let the potential mentors recruit you as you interview and make your decision. (You may already have some mentors from your activities so leverage their insights with your list as well.)
Hello, thank you for such valuable and affirmative advice. I will be sure to tap into my resources from my history in community organizing. How would you advise that I go about developing relationships with community health professors at various schools? I am so eager to meet potential mentors in medicine. Additionally, did you note any schools on my list that may not be a good fit for my social health focus? I wonder if schools like Yale and the University of Chicago are worth applying to, given that my GPA falls below the 10th percentile of their accepted students.

I cannot express enough gratitude for your time.

Hello, thank you for such valuable and affirmative advice. I will be sure to tap into my resources from my history in community organizing. How would you advise that I go about developing relationships with community health professors at various schools? I am so eager to meet potential mentors in medicine. Additionally, did you note any schools on my list that may not be a good fit for my social health focus? I wonder if schools like Yale and the University of Chicago are worth applying to, given that my GPA falls below the 10th percentile of their accepted students.

I cannot express enough gratitude for your time.
Yale and UChicago I think have a social justice reputation so if you match with metrics and experience... who knows.

It's not that hard developing relationships with community health professors. Ask the students at the schools which professors teach their comm health/public health courses. You could also just search the school website and look for articles written by their marketing office.