WAMC/School List Help: 3.9 GPA/520 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apartment-Alarming

Reaction score
Hello all! I've just started a very preliminary, very broad school list and was hoping to get some thoughts or feedback. I'd also love to hear if there's any specific areas I should look to improve prior to applying.

GPA: 3.91c, 3.90s
MCAT: 520 (128/131/129/132)
State Ties: NJ (residence), MD (strong ties)
Demographics: ORM, female
School Info: T10 school, studying Public Health & Social Policy
Clinical Experience: On-campus EMT (volunteer, leadership within our squad, 900 hours), Org working with clinic pts connecting them with social needs (volunteer, 450 hours)
Research: Clinical research in substance use disorder (650 hours, 1 poster/hopefully another before May)
Shadowing: 50 virtual hours (varying specialities), hoping to get another 50 hours in-person prior to applying
Non-clinical Volunteering: Employment assistance program (50 hours), College admission tutoring program for first gen/underprivileged students (110 hours), Org founded during COVID-19 to help community centers across the country outreach w/target populations (175 hours)
Misc: I have a pretty big interest in health policy (Social Policy fellow at my school, in a policy consulting org w/leadership and 250+ hours, participated in a Medicine & Humanities internship w/capstone project). One of my other big areas of interest is the outdoors/sustainability (I'm a trip leader/Direction of Operations for my college's outdoors program, I interned at an environmental nonprofit w/180 hours)

Here is my preliminary school list (I would probably ideally like to apply to less in the end but wanted to keep all the options open for now):
BU
Rowan
Columbia
Case Western
Duke
Drexel
Hofsra
Emory
Einstein
Baylor
GW
Georgetown
Harvard
Mt. Sinai
Hopkins
Kaiser
Mayo
NYU
Northwestern
Penn
Rutgers
Stanford
Brown
Tufts
UChicago
UMD
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale

Thanks for all your help and please let me know if there's any other info I can offer!

Members don't see this ad.

Why is Drexel on your list?

Members don't see this ad :)
You're in great shape! You're smart to apply broadly, since you just don't know where you are going to receive love until you are in the middle of it. My advice would be NOT to cut the list to save a few bucks. 29 is not a crazy number nowadays (Rutgers has two totally separate schools, so you should bump it up to 30! :)), and you will be far better off regretting needlessly spending an extra $500-1,000 at the end of a successful cycle than regretting not applying to the additional schools as you are preparing for a reapplication.

Also, you'll probably get more feedback if you ask to have the post moved to the WAMC subforum.

Reactions: 1 user
So let's tease something else out for you: how are you ranking the schools on your list? Do you have a sense of which schools likely are academically renown for their health policy programs or combined degree opportunities? Which of these schools have the type of social impact you want to have to get you to the "next step" of your career?

Reactions: 2 users
So let's tease something else out for you: how are you ranking the schools on your list? Do you have a sense of which schools likely are academically renown for their health policy programs or combined degree opportunities? Which of these schools have the type of social impact you want to have to get you to the "next step" of your career?
That's a great point! I am definitely considering a dual MPH so schools that offer that are a higher priority for me. Other than that I've only looked at MSAR mission statements so far and found that only 1 school (of the above) mentioned health policy. I'll definitely be looking into each school's website for more information as I finalize my list but was wondering if there are any specific programs that are well or commonly known to stand out in this area?

Reactions: 1 user