WAMC/School List Help: 3.93 GPA/519 MCAT but lower ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1084981

Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some advice for schools to apply to for this upcoming application cycle!
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
3.93 cGPA, 3.90 sGPA
  1. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
519 (129/130/129/131)
  1. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
Indiana
  1. Ethnicity and/or race
White
  1. Undergraduate institution or category
Large state school
  1. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
140 hours volunteering at local nursing home, including transporting residents, having visits with residents, and helping register residents in the health clinic.
  1. Research experience and productivity
100 hours in an ecology lab, no publications or posters.
  1. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
40 hours shadowing across Pulmonology, Critical Care, and Infectious Disease
  1. Non-clinical volunteering
80 hours volunteering with IU GOAL University program, 410 hours at Crisis Text Line
  1. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
Member of NAMI on Campus for 3 years total, Treasurer for Junior Year and President-Elect for Senior Year. Member of University’s color guard for 1 season pre-COVID. Member of University’s premedical club for all years of undergrad.
  1. Relevant honors or awards
Dean’s List and Semester Honors for all semesters at university
  1. Anything else not listed you think might be important
I am not necessarily aiming for top tier schools as I know my ECs are lacking for such schools, I would be happy at most US medical schools and want to avoid a gap year as much as possible. I am looking for some advice on good programs to add/remove from my current list.

Tentative School List:

Indiana University
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Northwestern University
Georgetown
Rosalind Franklin
Toledo
Albert Einstein
Medical College of Wisconsin
Rochester

Members don't see this ad.

IU makes sense as you are a resident, but you may need to take a gap year as other schools will have expected you to have gained more life experience (from newer schools to established ones like Northwestern). The majority of matriculating students take one or more years as opposed to applying in junior year.

Right now, you have limited clinical experience at 140 hours. It is possible you could write a clear personal statement that explains why you want to pursue medicine. But may be difficult. Your only other significant experience was crisis text line, which does not have a face to face interaction or verbal (like traditional crisis hotlines)

Reactions: 1 user
IU makes sense as you are a resident, but you may need to take a gap year as other schools will have expected you to have gained more life experience (from newer schools to established ones like Northwestern). The majority of matriculating students take one or more years as opposed to applying in junior year.

Right now, you have limited clinical experience at 140 hours. It is possible you could write a clear personal statement that explains why you want to pursue medicine. But may be difficult. Your only other significant experience was crisis text line, which does not have a face to face interaction or verbal (like traditional crisis hotlines)
Thank you for the input!

Members don't see this ad :)
Remove Georgetown since they are looking for applicants with many more hours of clinical exposure and non clinical volunteering than you have.
You could add these schools:
Western Michigan
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Miami
USF Morsani
Tulane
Jefferson
Tufts
Hofstra
Mount Sinai
Case Western
U Michigan

Remove Georgetown since they are looking for applicants with many more hours of clinical exposure and non clinical volunteering than you have.
You could add these schools:
Western Michigan
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Miami
USF Morsani
Tulane
Jefferson
Tufts
Hofstra
Mount Sinai
Case Western
U Michigan
I will remove Georgetown and look into the other schools, thank you for the input!

What did you do with the GOAL program? Are you targetting just peers or how extensive into the community is this program? I appreciate the Crisis Text Line work, but any other in-person community service to underserved communities?

Why do you want to avoid a gap year? Or as many people say, "growth year"? What if you couldn't get in this cycle? Why do you think you're good enough now?