WAMC/School list help, 522/3.9, no gap year, some Texas schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noclassroom2567

Reaction score
Hello, I am a current junior hoping to apply next cycle (starting May 2024). Please give me honest advice about my application and help me add some schools that might be more appropriate than what I have.

cGPA: 3.92, sGPA: 3.86 (dual degree in bio and business)

1. MCAT: 522, (132 CP, 130 CARS, 129 BB, 131 PS)
  2. Resident: IN with family/other ties to Texas
  3. ORM Asian
  4. T20 undergrad
  5. Clinical experience: 180 hrs volunteering in ED screening patients for social resources (many patients in this hospital are uninsured) and discharging patients; 150 hours scribing
  6. Research experience and productivity: 600 hours in Drosophila genetics lab, 1 presentation; 400 hours in cancer research lab, 1 presentation; also 1 publication from high school
  7. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 50 hours between pediatric plastic surgery and pain management clinic
  8. Non-clinical volunteering: 60 hours volunteering at dementia care home, 100 hours crisis text line, looking to add to this next semester before applying
  9. Other extracurricular activities: 500 hours orientation leader, 100 hours peer academic advisor, paid TA for 2 classes (~180 hours total), 200 hours paid tour guide, studied abroad in public health program freshman summer which involved writing a research paper, 100 hours officer for premed club, 100 hours finance club (pitched healthcare related stocks to a mutual fund)
  10. LORs will hopefully be pretty strong because all the professors know me well, from my 2 PIs and two professors I TAd for
  11. School list: need help with adding a few target schools but this is what I have so far. I have some TMDSAS schools because of strong ties to Texas but I’m considering all Texas schools as heavy reaches. I am also unsure if any of these schools strongly value service/volunteering- I don’t think I have enough service experience to be a strong candidate at service schools so don’t want to apply to too many of those.
Baylor, UT Southwestern, UT San Antonio, McGovern, Harvard, NYU, Penn, Vandy, Northwestern, UChicago, Stanford, USC, Brown, Case Western, UMich, UNC, Emory, Tufts, Boston University, UMass, Indiana University, Ohio State University

Members don't see this ad.

You could add these schools to your list:
Washington University (in St. Louis-almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
Cincinnati
Duke
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Pittsburgh

Get to 150 minimum hours working in the dementia patient home. You would then likely make it to T20 cannon fodder on hours and metrics. You need to determine your mission fit. Against your peers in those applicant pools, you could be lacking without it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You could add these schools to your list:
Washington University (in St. Louis-almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
Cincinnati
Duke
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Thank you! Do you think any of the schools I have on my list already would be like donations or unnecessary to apply to? I am unsure how much good stats outweighs mid extracurriculars

Get to 150 minimum hours working in the dementia patient home. You would then likely make it to T20 cannon fodder on hours and metrics. You need to determine your mission fit. Against your peers in those applicant pools, you could be lacking without it.
To be clear: "cannon fodder" or "pack fodder" for top 20s is a great place to be. That means that you're in the pack, in the ballpark, and that you should apply but you're nothing special by the stratospheric standards of Harvard or Hopkins or Stanford. The people who are clearly not pack fodder at that elite level are rare. Olympic athletes. Army Ranger combat medics. Professional musicians. PhDs with papers in Nature. Former professional ballet dancers. With 3.9+ GPAs and 523+ MCATs. You do not need this to go to Yale, although 10, maybe 20 percent of a class at top 20 schools are like this.

Reactions: 1 user