WAMC/ School List Help - cGPA 3.76/ sGPA 3.8/ 512/ NJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NL326

Reaction score
  • cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    • cGPA - 3.76
    • sGPA - 3.80
  • MCAT score(s) and breakdown. Include all (non-voided) attempts.
    • 509 - 129/122/129/129
    • 512 - 130/123/129/130
  • State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    • NJ
  • Ethnicity and/or race
    • Asian
  • Undergraduate institution or category
    • Rutgers University (class of 2022/ 2 gap years)
  • Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    • Medical Assistant ~1000 hr at PCP office
    • Hospital Volunteering ~100 hr in ED, ICU
    • Mental Illness Volunteering
      • during high school - but it was one of the most meaningful experiences....
  • Research experience and productivity
    • studying lipid regulation of gene X KO mice and its impact on whole body health ~200 hrs
  • Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • none (did a few online shadowing during COVID / less than 5 hrs)
    • talked to my school advisor about it and she said I'd be better off adding more clinical work hours, which essentially includes shadowing
  • Non-clinical volunteering
    • None
    • planning on adding some hours
  • Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    • Marching Band 1 semester
    • STEM related club Treasurer (small in my school but has national wide chapters)
  • Relevant honors or awards
    • Dean's List (except for the 1st semester of Freshman year)

School List: mostly based on my stats and OOS friendliness
Albany Medical College
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Howard University College of Medicine
Loma Linda University School of Medicine
Medical College of Wisconsin
Meharry Medical College
Northeast Ohio Medical University
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences F. Edward Hebert School of Medicine
Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Robert Larner, M.D., College of Medicine at the University of Vermont
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
Rutgers, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Wake Forest University School of Medicine
Wayne State University School of Medicine
West Virginia University School of Medicine
Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences
Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the University at Buffalo
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
Drexel University College of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine

• unlikely to apply to DO bc want to go into a specialty instead of IM or FM - heard that DOs have difficulties matching into specialties (I might be wrong - and would consider otherwise if that's a just stereotype or if I don't have a chance of getting into any MD schools)

Members don't see this ad.

I'd take off Southern Illinois, pretty sure they only accept southern illinois residents!

Reactions: 1 user
Take off Southern Illinois, Buffalo, Meharry, Howard, and University of Wisconsin. Not sure about West Virginia and Geisinger.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You know already you need nonclinical volunteering; 150 hours by submission will keep your application from getting screened out at most schools. Food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation.

It's possible some hours from MA can "count" towards shadowing (50 hours is enough to avoid getting screened out at most schools, must be in-person now that we are post-pandemic).

NEOMED takes in mostly from Ohio. USUHS only if you want the military commitment, and you should also apply HPSP. Loma Linda if you are devoutly religious; pay attention to their LOR requirements.

You can apply DO which will open up Rowan DO and PCOM to your list. Check out their lists over the years, but specializing is entirely on you and how well you do with your clerkships (among other factors).

Your chances for interviews will be limited due to your complete lack of non clinical volunteering. Howard and Meharry mainly admit applicants from the African American community. Southern Illinois does not admit non residents. Rush expects many hundreds or thousands of hours of non clinical volunteering. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Your 3 NJ state public schools
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Belmont
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
Cooper Rowan
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
LECOM
PCOM
CUSOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM

Take off Southern Illinois, Buffalo, Meharry, Howard, and University of Wisconsin. Not sure about West Virginia and Geisinger.
Thanks for the feedback! :thumbup: I'll look more in to West Virginia and Geisinger.

You know already you need nonclinical volunteering; 150 hours by submission will keep your application from getting screened out at most schools. Food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation.

It's possible some hours from MA can "count" towards shadowing (50 hours is enough to avoid getting screened out at most schools, must be in-person now that we are post-pandemic).

NEOMED takes in mostly from Ohio. USUHS only if you want the military commitment, and you should also apply HPSP. Loma Linda if you are devoutly religious; pay attention to their LOR requirements.

You can apply DO which will open up Rowan DO and PCOM to your list. Check out their lists over the years, but specializing is entirely on you and how well you do with your clerkships (among other factors)
Yes.... I'm regretting so much... I've been so passive.
The Mental Illness Volunteering was not in medical setting. It was at a church actually. Would it be better to put that experience as non-clinical volunteer experience? (I know even if I do, I'd still need more hours since that one's from high school)

"150 hours by submission" do you mean completed before submitting the primary application or can that be anticipated

Thank you! look more into school list and the DO matching rate .

Your chances for interviews will be limited due to your complete lack of non clinical volunteering. Howard and Meharry mainly admit applicants from the African American community. Southern Illinois does not admit non residents. Rush expects many hundreds or thousands of hours of non clinical volunteering. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Your 3 NJ state public schools
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Belmont
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
Cooper Rowan
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
LECOM
PCOM
CUSOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
My 123 CARS score is not within the 10th percentile of 2/3 of the NJ state schools and Hackensack. Should I still apply to all state schools?

Thank you for the list!

The Mental Illness Volunteering was not in medical setting. It was at a church actually. Would it be better to put that experience as non-clinical volunteer experience? (I know even if I do, I'd still need more hours since that one's from high school)

If it was done in high school, it won't carry as much weight for you. You can mention it in essays but I'm not sure I would use a W/A spot for sure. I defer to others.

"150 hours by submission" do you mean completed before submitting the primary application or can that be anticipated?
Before submission. Future or anticipated hours don't really mean anything.