WAMC/School List Help For Reapplicant: 3.87cGPA, 3.89sGPA, 511 MCAT, ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premedstudent149

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a reapplicant this cycle (applied in the 2020-2021 cycle) and I was wondering what schools to apply to this time around. I was able to get 4 interviews, but unfortunately they all resulted in waitlists. I think my biggest issue last time was applying late (complete at most schools mid September to early October). I had most of my interviews after January.
  1. cGPA=3.87, sGPA=3.89
  2. MCAT=511 (128,127,127,129), taken August 2020
  3. Illinois Resident
  4. ORM
  5. Clinical experience:
-600 hours, volunteering at a clinic performing vascular access procedures. I helped as a surgical technician, also measured patient vitals.
  1. Research experience:
-750 hours, led clinical research projects on radiological procedures, presented 8 first author abstracts at national conferences, 2 first author abstracts published in medical journal, created provisional patent for medical device
  1. Shadowing:
  • 65 hours shadowing nephrologist
  • 15 hours shadowing general internist
  1. Non-clinical volunteering:
-250 hours volunteering at activities department of nursing home

-60 hours packing meals sent out to underserved populations

LOR: Committee letter which should be strong

These are the schools I applied to last time around and I am planning to reapply to them all:

-Albany Medical College

-Rosalind (Received interview, put on Waitlist)

-Creighton (Received interview, put on Waitlist)

-Drexel (Received interview, put on Waitlist)

-Emory

-George Washington University

-Georgetown

-Temple

-Loyola

-Medical College of Wisconsin

-New York Medical College

-University of Vermont

-Saint Louis University

-Sidney Kimmel Jefferson University

-TCU and UNTHSC SOM

-Tufts

-University of Central Florida

-University of Illinois (Received interview, put on Waitlist)

-University of Wisconsin

-Wake Forest

I was also thinking of adding the following:

-Rush (Not sure if I meet service hour requirements)

-University of Colorado

-U Miami

-Nova MD

-Eastern Virginia Medical School

-Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine

-Wayne State

-Quinnipiac University

-Tulane

-Oakland University

-Hackensack Meridian

-Darthmouth

-Rochester

Do you think that adding these new schools will be enough as a reapplicant, or should I still add more? I would greatly appreciate any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully you get off a waitlist over the next couple weeks.

Remove:

Emory (not competitive)
UCF (favors IS)
Wisconsin (their OOS are high stat applicants)

You could add:
EVMS
VCU
Nova MD
Wayne
Quinnipiac
Hackensack
Oakland

Work on interview skills just in case, and for a reapp, you should probably apply to some DO schools as well. I suggest:

CCOM (high tuition FYI)
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro NY
KCU
KCOM
DMU

Reactions: 1 user
Remove Emory since your MCAT is not competitive. Central Florida and Wisconsin admit few non residents with your MCAT and no connection to the state. You could add these schools:
Tulane
NOVA MD
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Penn state
Hackensack
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I am finalizing the schools I will apply to and I am wondering if I can get some feedback again. One school I am not sure about is Rush, because they seem to only accept those with very high service hours which I am not sure I meet. I am also not applying to SLU because I will not be taking the AAMC PREview exam. I was wondering how this list looks like, and if I could get a recommendation on around 5 more schools to apply to? Thank you!

1. Albany
2. Rosalind
3. Creighton
4. Drexel
5. George Washington University
6. Georgetown
7. Temple
8. Loyola
9. Medical College of Wisconsin
10. New York Medical College
11. University of Vermont
12. Sidney Kimmel Jefferson University
13. TCU
14. Tufts
15. University of Illinois
16. Wake Forest
17. Rush (not sure about this due to service hours)
18. University of Colorado
19. U Miami
20. Nova MD
21. Eastern Virginia
22. Virginia Commonwealth
23. Wayne State
24. Quinnipiac
25. Tulane
26. Oakland
27. Hackensack
28. Dartmouth Geisel School of Medicine
29. Rochester
30. Penn State

Dartmouth is a reach with your stats. You could add Wake Forest, Iowa, Indiana.
Thank you for your suggestions! I am still wondering if someone could give me some feedback on applying to Rush. I have about 550 hours of clinical volunteering and 400 hours of non clinical volunteering, which seems to be below some of the service hour commitments I've seen for those who have gotten accepted at the school. Is my app not competitive for this school? I would like to apply to this school since I live in the vicinity.

Thank you for your suggestions! I am still wondering if someone could give me some feedback on applying to Rush. I have about 550 hours of clinical volunteering and 400 hours of non clinical volunteering, which seems to be below some of the service hour commitments I've seen for those who have gotten accepted at the school. Is my app not competitive for this school? I would like to apply to this school since I live in the vicinity.
Since you are an Illinois resident, you should apply as you still have a significant number of hours.

Reactions: 1 user