WAMC/School list help/Gap Year Job (3.78/514)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flashfly_cage

Reaction score
Hello, I plan to apply this cycle and would appreciate any feedback on my chances for MD schools. This is my first post, please let me know if I missed anything.

1) cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS
cGPA: 3.78
sGPA: 3.88
Lowest grades were B's in a few prob/stats classes that I probably shouldn't have taken and p-chem 1+2

2) MCAT score and breakdown
August 2023: 514 (127,127,131,129)

3) State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
California resident

4) Ethnicity
Asian M

5) Undergraduate institution or category
top 10 private, graduating this May with degree in biophysics

6) Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
200 hours volunteer in hospital pre-op and post-anethesia care unit near my university, projected ~250 by application time
(not sure if this counts?) 100 hours working part time as a receptionist at a covid booster vaccine clinic back home in California

7) Research experience and productivity
1.5 years of wet lab biophysics research from Jan 2022-May 2023, cut short due to PI switching institutions, one intra-department poster presentation, no pubs

8) Shadowing experience and specialties represented
40 hours shadowing private pediatrician, private dermatologist, university hospital cardiac surgeon

9) Non-clinical volunteering
60 hours as K-12 tutor at public library, projected ~80 by application time
120 hours as prison study hall tutor, projected ~160 by application time

10) Anything else not listed you think might be important
I received one disciplinary action warning from university housing during my sophomore year for violating a COVID policy of having no guests. I'm still waiting on a response email from the conduct office to see if this warning was put on my disciplinary record and if I need to report it on my applications. This might be nothing but for now, I'd assume I do have to report this.

11) Other extracurriculars
dragonboat paddling, help organize/run races when our turn to host

12) Rec letters: I plan to use my university's pre-health committee letter with 2 letters from biophysics professors (my PI and my faculty advisor, I've had classes with both), 1 from a writing seminars prof (helped me become a better editor for the prison study hall), and 1 from the pre-op nurse manager I volunteer under.

13) Gap year: Been looking through the common options like scribing, PA, MA, CRA, CRC. Maybe teaching STEM to underserved youth back home in California. Not sure if I should lean more into research or service during my gap year, pay is also a large factor.

School List
Every UC
USC Keck
Loma Linda
Albert Einstein
Georgetown
George Washington
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
Albany
basically everywhere I'm between 25-75% mcat, would prefer to stay in california but open to wherever

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
The UCs (except Riverside unless you are from that region)
USC Keck
Kaiser
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Belmont
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Any new schools that open for 2025 (American University in California, Roseman, Alice Walton, Methodist)

Reactions: 1 user
Everyone has tutoring on their medical school application so you don't really need to continue doing this. You need something else that shows service orientation. Are there any service opportunities for you to work with formerly incarcerated people in getting them jobs?

Everyone has tutoring on their medical school application so you don't really need to continue doing this. You need something else that shows service orientation. Are there any service opportunities for you to work with formerly incarcerated people in getting them jobs?
Thank you, yes there are opportunities in the organization I tutor with to help alumni get jobs by helping with resumes and conducting mock interviews. If I started immediately I would probably reach around 30-40 hours by May. I was a study hall tutor for a while because it followed a regular schedule of going into the prison and allowed me to form relationships with students while alumni outreach was much more sporadic. What differentiates service orientation?