WAMC/ school list help - good stats, avg ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angryalmonds

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
450 hours as a scribe
Where/what department?

15 hours in OBGYN
Any primary care shadowing or experience?

does tutoring really count as non-clinical volunteering? A friend said it wasn't because you play more of an instructional role, so would love to hear everyone's thoughts!
Every premed applicant likely has some tutoring, and 100 hours is barely "average." You were also a TA so you may be okay, but it seems low.

Most schools screen out applicants with fewer than 150 hours of service orientation activities: food distribution, shelter volunteer, job and tax preparation, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation. Looks like you have zero in this category.

Many UC schools like to recruit applicants who grew up near their campuses. Where did you grow up?

As it stands, you are a strong PhD applicant and should be in line for scholarships. Four first-authors... great work!

Where/what department?

Every premed applicant likely has some tutoring, and 100 hours is barely "average." You were also a TA so you may be okay, but it seems low.

Most schools screen out applicants with fewer than 150 hours of service orientation activities: food distribution, shelter volunteer, job and tax preparation, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation. Looks like you have zero in this category.
I was a scribe in the emergency department.

No primary care shadowing unfortunately!

Okay thanks for the feedback! I'll look into more service orientation activities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where/what department?

Many UC schools like to recruit applicants who grew up near their campuses. Where did you grow up?

As it stands, you are a strong PhD applicant and should be in line for scholarships. Four first-authors... great work!
I didn't grow up in CA, so I don't think that will be the case for me. But thank you for the feedback!! I know what I need to work on now. :)

Your lack of non clinical volunteering will limit your chances for interview. Accumulate 150+ hours in activities mentioned above.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
The UCs (except Riverside unless you are from that region)
USC Keck
Kaiser
Stanford
Washington University (in St. Louis-almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
Northwestern
U Michigan
Mayo
Case Western
Cincinnati
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Rochester
USF Morsani
Duke
U Virginia
Johns Hopkins
UPenn
Yale
Harvard
Brown
Tufts

@Faha
Your lack of non clinical volunteering will limit your chances for interview. Accumulate 150+ hours in activities mentioned above.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
The UCs (except Riverside unless you are from that region)
USC Keck
Kaiser
Stanford
Washington University (in St. Louis-almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
Northwestern
U Michigan
Mayo
Case Western
Cincinnati
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Rochester
USF Morsani
Duke
U Virginia
Johns Hopkins
UPenn
Yale
Harvard
Brown
Tufts
thanks for the feedback and school list!!